BK XXLS400 High level input

scene

I'm going to be getting a BK XXLS400 Sub and it has both a low and high level inputs. Now the low level is easy, I'll just connect the sub out from my Marantz SR7009 to that. But the high level input is trickier: it's designed to take the output from a standard pair of speaker terminals and take the sub bass from their. But the BK manual has a note "It may not be possible or advisable to connect the high level input directly to an amplifier that has a class d digital output. Please check with the supplier of your amplifier that this form of connection is possible."

Now does anyone know if you can connect a BK sub to the stereo outputs from a Marantz AV amp, or do I even need to?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I think that Marantz is A/B, but it isn't clear on the website. Maybe check with them.

It'll be fine in that case.

And if you use any "Pure Direct" style thing for stereo, you may need both inputs as it may not output a signal to the LFE socket in this mode.

D

Deleted member 116933

Hi Scene!! Before i had the subwoofer i do now i had i had rel q150 (BK made) and i would bother connecting the sub with the high level on an AV amp. It really there for people wanting to connect to a stereo system with no pre outs. But having said that the high level connection dose sound very nice compared to the low level connection. in my experiance any how.

But because of how av works with cross overs there is no benifit at all.... Plus some signals will never go to speakers as the sound engineers have selected that channel for that perticuar sound in the mix.

so as stated above low level all the way for AV. If you find it dosnt have much impact get a Y splitter to double the signal.

On the other hand if you also have a stereo in the room you could have one connect to AV amp and one connected to the stereo. which is a nice feature to have even if you dont use it.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
REL certainly suggest connecting both high and low-level connections for the best sound, this would also allow you set the front speakers to Large, so you'd still get use of the sub for music when the LFE channel isn't in use.

scene

fr0g said:
I think that Marantz is A/B, but it isn't clear on the website. Maybe check with them.

And if you use any "Pure Direct" style thing for stereo, you may need both inputs as it may not output a signal to the LFE socket in this mode.

Yes - it's not clear and I've actually seen conflicting reports, some saying it's A/B, some saying Class D *dash1*

And yes - I will probably use Pure Direct in some cases. Now I have got floorstanders - Monitor Audio Silver 8i - which are not shy of bass, but I was thinking of augmenting that with the sub.

scene

The_Lhc said:
REL certainly suggest connecting both high and low-level connections for the best sound, this would also allow you set the front speakers to Large, so you'd still get use of the sub for music when the LFE channel isn't in use.

Yup. Pretty similar to what BK say - who used to make REL's subs once upon a time...

So yes - hence the question.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
scene said:
fr0g said:

Yes - it's not clear and I've actually seen conflicting reports, some saying it's A/B, some saying Class D *dash1*

And yes - I will probably use Pure Direct in some cases. Now I have got floorstanders - Monitor Audio Silver 8i - which are not shy of bass, but I was thinking of augmenting that with the sub.

Just for fun you should try setting it up as I had it in any case.

I used to run Dali Ikon 6 and the BK sub as part of my 5.1 system.

I always had the speakers set to small, and I avoided the "Pure direct" and opted for "straight", even for music.

That way the speakers are spared the lowest frequencies and have a much easier job. I found it added a huge amount of clairty to the sound. Without sub, Pure direct seemed to be slightly better, but with sub, the extra control the whole system seemed to have when using speakers set to small and the sub getting fed the lower frequencies was a winner.

I find unless you have speakers that can really handle low frequencies AND you have a sub, it's better to have some form of crossover/filter so the stereo pair don't struggle at higher volumes. An AV receiver provides just that... :)

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I did once almost burn out a subwoofer (the cable melted) when I connected it to my old class D Lyngdorf amp... doh.

scene

fr0g said:
scene said:
fr0g said:

Just for fun you should try setting it up as I had it in any case.

I used to run Dali Ikon 6 and the BK sub as part of my 5.1 system.

I always had the speakers set to small, and I avoided the "Pure direct" and opted for "straight", even for music.

That way the speakers are spared the lowest frequencies and have a much easier job. I found it added a huge amount of clairty to the sound. Without sub, Pure direct seemed to be slightly better, but with sub, the extra control the whole system seemed to have when using speakers set to small and the sub getting fed the lower frequencies was a winner.

I find unless you have speakers that can really handle low frequencies AND you have a sub, it's better to have some form of crossover/filter so the stereo pair don't struggle at higher volumes. An AV receiver provides just that... :)

Yes - I have considered setting my speakers to small, but I have got Silver 8i fronts, which are pretty good at handling bass. I also considered bi-amping them from the Marantz, as I've (currently) only got 5 speakers - so that's another option.

*unknw* Just not sure now.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I did once almost burn out a subwoofer (the cable melted) when I connected it to my old class D Lyngdorf amp... doh.

This is part of my worry! I will try to get 100% clarification from Marantz...

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
For movies I've found all speakers set to. Small sounds much better even with floorstanders,for music I use pure direct, but sometimes use the sub if there's a party.

scene

his dudeness said:
For movies I've found all speakers set to. Small sounds much better even with floorstanders,for music I use pure direct, but sometimes use the sub if there's a party.

So with pure direct - I take it just ignores the size of the speakers and sends everything to the front pair, regardless of the size to which you've set them?

D

Deleted member 116933

No it only has the one volume knob unlike the bk. Thats why you can use both together as both can be calbriated differently from each other. SVS have put the legacy connection there for people with no pre out's on the stereo amp or are using the pre-out's for an out board amp.

It really comes from a time where the 80HZ standard wasn't a given in home cinima and nothing had class d amps.

Trust me just uses the low level input. Its hard to tell where the digital processing and driving begins with an AV amp. Which is why it hard to find out weather you amp is AB or class d as most AV amps are class D then covert to AB and some even use a combination of both.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't bother "bi-amping" with just one AV receiver.

It's a dubiously advantageous thing to do with 2 amps, but with one (with it's single power supply) it's pointless. I asked this question way back when and the consensus seems to be that it isn't worth it...Better to run some hidden wires into the kitchen and have 2 zones :) (Like I have).

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
yes it does,but i just use the lfe channel,sounds like all the sound is coming from the tannoys,im still not sure if i prefare with or without the sub for music,working away from home a lot so havent had much chance to play.

scene

millennia_one said:
No it only has the one volume knob unlike the bk. Thats why you can use both together as both can be calbriated differently from each other. SVS have put the legacy connection there for people with no pre out's on the stereo amp or are using the pre-out's for an out board amp.

It really comes from a time where the 80HZ standard wasn't a given in home cinima and nothing had class d amps.

Trust me just uses the low level input. Its hard to tell where the digital processing and driving begins with an AV amp. Which is why it hard to find out weather you amp is AB or class d as most AV amps are class D then covert to AB and some even use a combination of both.

Thanks for clarifying things about the SVS sub - I just assumed (from looking) that it was like the BK, where you can have both high and low level inputs simultaneously.

And what you say about the Marantz is what I'm beginning to think - I know a lot of amps use class D and then swap to A/B for higher levels - which might well explain the confusion.

*sigh* might have to go with no sub for Pure Direct - which is a little bit of a shame.

scene

fr0g said:
I wouldn't bother "bi-amping" with just one AV receiver.

It's a dubiously advantageous thing to do with 2 amps, but with one (with it's single power supply) it's pointless. I asked this question way back when and the consensus seems to be that it isn't worth it...Better to run some hidden wires into the kitchen and have 2 zones :) (Like I have).

Yes, that's probably a valid point as they're not 100% discrete in terms of power supply.

My AV cabinet backs onto the family room - where the kids have a TV. Was wondering about drilling through the wall and giving them stereo sound + movies from the living room... hmm.

scene

his dudeness said:
yes it does,but i just use the lfe channel,sounds like all the sound is coming from the tannoys,im still not sure if i prefare with or without the sub for music,working away from home a lot so havent had much chance to play.

Suppose I'll just have to play - but might not be able to use the high-level inputs at the same time. May not matter, like you I like the pure stereo sound from my Silver 8is, but you know - just like to have the option to use all the toys... *good*

TRENDING THREADS