Question Subwoofer upgrade advice needed

Exeon

Oct 11, 2020
Visit site
Currently I have a B&W 600 series 5.2 system.
The subwoofers are the B&W ASW610's, and I dislike them to be honest.
They are good enough for music, but for watching movies they struggle.

I've been contemplating replacing them with something else, alas many brands aren't available where I live,
So my options are limited.

That said, there are different configuration possible, and I want to get the best bang for my buck.

Some context on the room, it's 45m2 and the floor is made of wood (I assume this impacts the sound, but I'm not sure to what degree exactly)
I can get:

Svs:
- 2x PB-1000 for 1100€
- 1x PB-2000 Pro for 1300€
- 2x PB-2000 Pro's for 1700€

I'm currently leaning towards the lower end of the Svs subs here as I find the gap between the 1000's and the pro's to be a lot (price wise) unless there is some good convincing argument why I should save up for them.

For rel subwoofers:

- 2x HT 1003 for 1150€ (currently on sale, from 700€/ a piece)
- 2x HT 1205 for 1680€ (currently on sale, from 1000€ a piece)

For monoprice:

- 2x Monolith THX 10 for 1200€
The THX 12 is currently being sold for 1000, but I don't believe that's worth it

Any suggestions are welcome, I would buy these used, but these subs...you just can't find them easily used around here, and if you do the price is too close to new to be worth it.
This is in the EU, so again certain brands aren't sold here.

Exeon

Oct 11, 2020
Visit site
SVS are excellent subwoofer manufacturers. Have you checked XTZ subwoofers? Are they available in your place?

I've just looked at XTZ, i can buy them from their official EU site 620€ for their 10.17 EDGE and 715€ for the 12.17 EDGE

The 1x12 EDGE is quite a bit higher at 920€

I've also been recommended to look at Ardenal their 1961 S1 goes for 900€
It's not easy to know the differences between these subs, yea outputs and frecuencies change, but how that translates irl I do not know.

Edit: Seems XTZ does bundle sales, getting a pair of either model offering 9-13% discount when buying a pair, this lowers the price considerably

Last edited:

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
SVS are good subwoofers and have good after sale support. Whichever you look at (seems a decent sized room to me) I would look to get 2 subs to even out frequency response across the room. I'd be looking at PB-3000 x 2 in a room that size, the ported boxes offering more low end grunt than, the sealed. If you can't stretch to the PB-3000 the PB-2000 Pro would be a good shout as well.

Exeon

Oct 11, 2020
Visit site
SVS are good subwoofers and have good after sale support. Whichever you look at (seems a decent sized room to me) I would look to get 2 subs to even out frequency response across the room. I'd be looking at PB-3000 x 2 in a room that size, the ported boxes offering more low end grunt than, the sealed. If you can't stretch to the PB-3000 the PB-2000 Pro would be a good shout as well.

Yea that would be great, but far off what my budget is.
I've noticed that the higher end of SvS subs (and many other american subs) are quite a bit more expensive here than in the US, and thus lose value in comparison to the competition.

The room also isn't sealed, so pressurizing it won't happen with most subs.
I'll likely get 2x XTZ 12.17 EDGE, which will be a massive improvement over my current set (which is not ported and has 200w RMS and doesn't go below 20hz)

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
I would have a look at BK Electronics - they have some great value subs that perform above their price point.

If you can get 2x PB-2000 Pro's for 1700€ as per your post that would be my first choice.

Monolith perform well but not sure about their after sales support.

The XTZ look good but not sure how they would perform compared to equivalent models from other brands.

BK and SVS are both up there for looking after customers which is an important consideration.

Exeon

Oct 11, 2020
Visit site
I would have a look at BK Electronics - they have some great value subs that perform above their price point.

If you can get 2x PB-2000 Pro's for 1700€ as per your post that would be my first choice.

Monolith perform well but not sure about their after sales support.

The XTZ look good but not sure how they would perform compared to equivalent models from other brands.

BK and SVS are both up there for looking after customers which is an important consideration.
Ah I understand the confusion.
In my original post there is typo, it's not the PB 2000 pros but the PB 1000 Pros that go for 1700€ (for 2 of them).
The PB 2000 pro is a whooping 1300€ per unit.

BK electronics may give me issues as the UK is no longer part of the EU, and it's not the first time I've had to pay import charges....

The XTZ 12.17 is often compared to the SB 2000 and seen as "better" in general.
It's a hybrid model, while ported the ports can be shut off with plugs to create more of a sealed sound.
It doesn't dip as low as the PB 2000 pro though, as it doesn't go below 19hz.

Due to pricing it seems that grabbing 2 of those for 1300€ is the best bang for buck I can get, as many brands have inflated pricing.

I do agree though, if I could buy 2xPB-2000 pro's for 1700€ I would definitely do it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts