Subwoofer to replace pv1d for music and home theater duties

kingsap

May 12, 2013
Visit site
My Speakers are the neat ultimatum mf5 which claims to have specs of

MF5 response @ +/-3dB is 28Hz - 40kHz. The typical - 6dB point in the bass is 22Hz. (from BOB of neat)

Can a 6.5" driver get that low?? Proacs and PMC also have specs that go that low! :O :O While speakers with drivers of 12" only gets to 30+hz usually...not sure why

I dont feel a lack of bass from the speakers, but having a sub that can fulfil both role of music/movies and help my system to get down to 20hz will be awesome! (will set the crossover at 35hz or less)

However i will have a subwoofer regardless because i will use it for theater, and the pv1d just does not cut it for movies. So therefore im looking for a sub to be used for music and movies with budget as low as possible.

Will 2 subs help stereo imaging? I would much prefer a single sub for convenience :wall: Room is 8m(6m usable) x4m. So after reading some info, here are some choices that is within my budget (but i would prefer to spend as little as possible)

-jl audio f113

-twin velodyne spl 1000 ultra

-jl audio f112 -bower wilkin db1

-velodyne dd15 (not plus version)

-twin jl audio f110

-mk 350 mk2

-rel r528

I heard about SVS and KK and paradigm subs, but they are a pain to get in my country

Any help will be appreciated :wave:

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The frequencies we are talking about here are omnidirectional, and in theory, dual subs shouldn't make a difference in this respect, but there are examples of tracks out there that do have bass mixed into one speaker and not the other. There are other factors to add in - if the subs are not equal distance from your listening position, you can run into timing and phasing issues, so care needs to be taken there.

Personally, I'd rather go for one better quality, more capable sub over two lesser ones. Whether you go for one or two, I'd factor in the cost of an Antimode Dual Core 2.0 - a flexible sub EQ system that will ensure you get the best from it/them.

The two I'd recommend, you have issues obtaining.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
The JL Audio subs are some of the best out there. I had an F112 and used it with ATC scm50asl's. I sold the sub and wish I hadn't.

My room is 4m x 4.5m and the f112 pressurised it perfectly. As your room is larger, I would go for the f113, or get an f112 and add a second later if you feel the need. Ideally, hearing them all in your room would be the way to go, but it would be quite time consuming, but fun :)

Running dual subs can be done by feeding each sub a stereo signal, or by feeding each a mono signal so you have a dedicated left and right channel sub.

Running both subs with the same stereo signal positioned correctly in the room will help smooth the in room response.

Running the subs in mono(L+R) will have the potential to give the most accurate response, but will be a lot harder to setup correctly. For example, you might have more room gain on one side of the room, so you may need one sub set louder than the other to give the same volume level. Unless you have a treated room, it could become tricky. But this dual mono sub arrangment is something i'd like to try someday.

I am now using a Velodyne DD12. Although the software on the Velodyne is excellent and has an on screen graph display of the frequency response, the subs aren't a patch on the JL audio in terms of build quality and output(although the new DD+ series addressed this). I have heard that the JL Audio F112 bests the DD15, and the F113 bests the DD18.
My perfect setup would be dual F113's fed by Velodyne sms-1's. The sms-1 is a standalone unit containing the same software as the DD subs.

kingsap

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks all for the replies :D Definitely will try to see if i can get a hold of the svs sb-13 ultra. The f113 is the front runner currently, and i hope it will work out well..

By the way to my other question, can a 6.5" driver really go that low? PMC .23 can go as low as 28hz with 5.25" driver?

While many speakers with 12" drivers dont even go that low

While the 6.5" drivers of proacs d28, neat ultimatums and pmcs can get to 20+hz.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
kingsap said:
By the way to my other question, can a 6.5" driver really go that low? PMC .23 can go as low as 28hz with 5.25" driver?

While the 6.5" drivers of proacs d28, neat ultimatums and pmcs can get to 20+hz.

Too many variables at play to draw any conclusions/make assumptions etc.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
kingsap said:
Thanks all for the replies :D Definitely will try to see if i can get a hold of the svs sb-13 ultra. The f113 is the front runner currently, and i hope it will work out well..

Yes, those small drivers can go that low, but only because PMC use Transmission line loading of the driver. One thing to note though, even though the speaker can go that low with a small bass driver, they still cannot produce the weight and scale and spl of a larger speaker using a larger bass driver, but they do a very good job of making that small bass driver sound bigger than it is.

The Neats use an isobaric loading as far as i know, so should contain extra drive units inside the cabinet directly behind the visible bass drivers on the front baffle. This would give them their low frequency advantage.

The ProAc D28 also seems to use a unique for of bass loading in it's tall cabinet to achieve good extension.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts