Need Audio room advice and opinions. Treatments and subwoofer placement

kingsap

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, need some help here :help:

audio_room.jpg

Heres a picture of my audio room. At the moment, the room is empty and theres a lot of echo in the room. I reckon its quite bad echo wise. The walls are all painted cement walls with 1 wall made of glass. Floor are hard wood. The height is around 3m

What are some solutions to solve the echo problems? Some of the things ill do before moving in the audio systems are

-placing carpet on the left and back wall

-placing carpets on the wood floor

-drapes on glass wall

As this will be my main audio room, not much other furnitures will be in it..

Main system

- htpc -> nad m51 dac -> densen b200 preamp -> densen b330 poweramp -> neat ultimatum mf5 speakers and bower wilkins pv1d subwoofer

Here is how i want to place the system. Is the subwoofer location correct? Or is there other better placements? (for both movies and audio, but audio is much prioritised)

Any advice and recommendations will be much appreciated :clap: :pray:

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
It seems like u are preparing a hc rather than a lounge. Lucky you! Some here have used 'false walls' fibre insulated but I am no expert. Bass traps will ne beneficial. Certainly front corners as tall as possible. Some internet research should help. Depends on finance & if its a diy project.Main problems as u say is floor and window..Floor needs carpet as large as posible. Windows? Shutters may be an option else bery haevy curtains. Sub position needs to be determined by experimentation though where u suggest may work fine. Hopefully others will chip in and u can keep us up to date with the project. :cheers:

sheggs

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Its seems good positioning to start off with. Your basic's are there, system against the short wall, triangle and symmettry.

Flutter echo is created by flat parallel surfaces creating the echo.

Your main problem areas is the glass wall and the floor ceiling combination. You say the room is empty at the moment. Before considering treatment, get those drapes up and put the furniture in the room. Any rugs etc and then see if you still have echo. If you do, then it is as simple as either panels on the wall on the left or a cloud on the ceiling over your listening position

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I think your biggest problem could be the glass wall, is it glass bricks or is windows, is floor to ceiling?

Certainly some heavy curtains will help esp between your chair and the system, carpet in front of your chair also will help with some reflections.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
If you search this site and Youtube in particular, there is plenty of very good and detailed advice on how to best place and setup your sub.

I have a room quite similar to yours (4m wide by 5m long - hard floors/walls - and the tv/amps/speakers in the same position).

Basically I placed the sub in my listening position (your chair) and then crawled around the room listening for the 'sweet spot'. My sub is placed to the right and slightly forward of your right-hand speaker. I can hear the low end bass but cannot place it in the room. Read up on sub placement and have a go yourself.

Also, I have a 3m wide floor to ceiling mirror along the left-hand wall. I have draped a heavy blanket (one that matches some of the furniture decor) over a ballet barr (not mine) so that it 'blocks' the main reflection from the speaker to my listening position. Every little bit helps!

kingsap

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Just finished installing the system. The echo iss till very bad even after the floor carpet. Quite a headache to listen to. Part 2 of the installation will be room treatments. Need more advice on this :cheers:

ps. Removed the sub. Bass of mf5 is crazy low :rockout:

http://i61.tinypic.com/14ybvcg.jpg

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Could you get some dining chairs, step ladder, clothes horse - anything that you could temporarily place in the room, and then hang duvets, blankets, old curtains and pillows on/over. Place them in the main reflection points, corners and the wall behind you. See if it helps to reduce the echo. Your cd/dvd cabinet is neatly tucked away but placed in the main part of the room would also help to reduce the reflections. Some trial and error before you start making or purchasing absorption panels.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts