Subwoofer help: Monitor Audio or Dali?

Ro-Tang Clan

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi people,

As the title suggests, I'm looking for advice on a new subwoofer between the 2 brands. With payday coming fast (27th), I'm getting excited to splash out (£600 budget) and upgrade my ageing Wharfedale SW150 subwoofer. I've been looking between the Monitor Audio Radius 390 and the Dali E-12F, both really good subwoofers, or so I've been told.

Is this a no brainer where one is far more superior over the other? I am more inclined to choose the Dali E-12F simply because a local Richer Sounds store is selling the ex-demo unit they have for £450 whereas the Radius 390 I'm having to pay full price at £600.

The sub is going to be paired with Mordaunt Short Aviano 6's at the front and Whardedale 9.1's in the rear so I guess the sound would have to match these.

Any advice would be appreciated!

A

Anderson

Why don't you look here too.

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers.htm

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Anderson said:
Why don't you look here too.

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers.htm

+1

Check out the XXLS400 - compare the specs against the Dali - and the BK is less money for a brand new one.

If you are 50/50 music/film go for the XXLS400, if you are mainly films then the Monolith will suit.

Ro-Tang Clan

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Ahh okay, thank you for the quick response. I stumbled upon their website awhile ago but didn't think much of them, I hadn't realised they were highly regarded subs. I've had a look at the XXLS400 and by the description and specs is seems an amazing sub for the money. I am mainly music orientated with an emphasis on gaming too. It's not too often I get the time to watch films although it would be nice to cater for this side too.

The only thing that puts me off is the fact it's a completely sealed enclosure. I'd preferably want to go for an active and a passive radiator design rather than completely sealed. Thanks for the suggestion though and I'll take them into consideration :)

Regisss

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello Ro-Tang Clan!

I tested side by side - Dali E-12F and new Dali E-9F. I find out that new Dali E-9F are better for me, with more precise bass (punch). Also Dali E-9F are smaller and cheaper than Dali E-12F, but with the same power.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have owned the BK XLS400 it is a very good sub for the money no question.

Now I have moved on I would heartily recommend SVS subs

You can get the SB2000 for the money you are looking at - I would have a look at that as well before buying - good chance of a home demo on one if you ask the right dealer. I got a home demo ( my SB Ultra 13) from HSound in Edinburgh and bought from them - excellent service full stop.

Ro-Tang Clan

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Thank you very much for the reccomendations, I've been trawling the web for all sorts of different options and taken a look at the SVS subs too. While they are certainly powerful and so are the BK subs, I don't think they're quite what I'm looking for. I haven't had a chance to demo either of them though so I don't know how they sound in person.

Also, thanks Regisss for providing your experience between the Dalie E9 and E12. I always think bigger is better that's why I was going to go for the E12 (plus the ex-demo price of £450) but it's the figures that put me off. 12inch ported cabinet with only 170watts RMS? A little poor if you ask me, although people are saying they offer sofa-rattling bass. According to what you say, the E12 isn't what I am looking for anyway and I'm glad you walked away happy with your E9 :)

What I really want is the low bass extension of a ported design, but the tight, dynamic and precise feeling of a closed design. Of course, one design isn't more superior than the others, but I think a closed design with a passive radiator gives the best balance. For that reason alone, I decided to cross the Dali off the list and that left me with a few options; Monitor Audio Radius 390, Monitor Audio Mass W200, Velodyne Impact 12 or the REL T9 (open box@ £640). I was going to go for either 2 MA Mass W200's or a REL T9 until I discovered the Tannoy TS2.12. Dual 12inch drivers; one active and one passive with a 500watt RMS amp. So not only are the drivers bigger, but also offer more power than the rest of the competition. The price for this is £550 brand new which is also cheaper than the competition too so I think this is what I've decided on.

The only thing I'm personally not happy about is the cone material as it's just standard pulp and nothing fancy. Maybe it's just me being stingy, but I really like the idea of having unique materials (Wharfedale use a weaved kevlar design, Mordaunt Short use aluminium cones and Monitor Audio use ceramic coated aluminium cones). I'm not too sure how much of a difference it makes to performance, but it just gives it that 'premium' touch and feel to the product.

Ro-Tang Clan

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Apologies for not finishing the thread, but in the end I chose the Monitor Audio Radius 390. While I thank you guys for introducing me to alternatives from the likes of BK and SVS, they just seem to be power monsters that are loud and 'in-your-face' which unfortunately this time around wasn't what I was looking for. It's half the reason why I didn't end up with the Tannoy TS2.12; the other half being nowhere around my city can get demo stock of them. Stores can order it in, but I'd have to purchase it first :/

Without a demo of the TS2.12, I grabbed a demo in Superfi of the 2 options mentioned in the first post of my thread. Despite the lower power output of the Dali (170watts), it moved so much air and offered vast quantities of bass, but got its butt handed to it when it came down to precision and control. The MA Radius 390 handled everything so flawlessly and without much effort at all. It was just so silky smooth whereas the Dali was flapping like a fish outta water because it feels like it was constantly trying to shout the bass to you.

Now with my MA Raudius 390 placed behind the sofa, I can feel greater impact when ojects collide and fall when watching movies or playing games, it's a really nice experience for me. I have still kept my Wharfedale SW150 and it's still in use, however this is placed over in the corner of the room opposite myself giving an all-over atmospheric bass.

Many thanks for all the help!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I thought the SVS Ultra SB13 would be a power monster - its actually totally the opposite - smooth, articulate, accurate bass - within the constraints of its position within and your room. Did I say smooth?

Doesnt matter as long as your happy with your purchase

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts