SUBWOOFER FOR MUSIC

skipper

Jan 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi All. I am looking for a subwoofer for both music and movies.It will be simultaneously connected to a stereo amplifier and an av receiver and must therefore be extensively configurable.I understand REL Subs do accept simultaneous connections and was thinking of the REL T 9? Does any body have experience with this particular subwoofer ?
Regards

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Not sure you'll beat a BK XXLS400 for the money, sealed sub very good for music and for films. Accpets both hi and lo level inputs for music and film and I belive BK used to make subs for REL.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
skipper said:
Hi All. I am looking for a subwoofer for both music and movies.

It is very difficult to get a sub to integrate with mains for a decent musical experience. The crossover point at which both the sub and mains are active is hard to balance and can end up as a disaster.

Unless you have access to decent test gear then you would probably have more luck buying better quality main speakers for listening and a cheapo sub to blow you off the sofa for movies.

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I've seen a lot of people posting some horrible looking frequency response graphs as they desparately try to integrate a sub into their room. I would say a lot of it comes down to how big the room is as bass waves need lots of space and the lower frequencies can cause havoc.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
MakkaPakka said:
... as bass waves need lots of space ...

Well the formula is Speed = Frequency x Wavelength and to transpose that Wavelength = Speed / Frequency

Now the speed of sound is c 340 m/s so a 10 Hz signal has a wavlength of 34m which is over 100ft if you prefer old money.

Chris

bemaniac

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Not sure how it compares to the BK subs but the Paradigm one I got 2nd hand works well for music. The downside is it's a bit big but you can get these nice and cheap on ebay now. In terms of loudness it makes the 2 previous subs from yamaha and mordaunt short not even really seem like subs.

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
I beg to differ on it being difficult to integrate a subwoofer into a music system - I've got mine working very nicely thanks (Rel Storm 3 with Harbeth C7/2's). I've also had them working in numerous other setups (including one of the original RELs all those years ago). All done by ear - yes you adjust the settings over time as things settle down and you become used to the sound. The main thing to avoid is setting the crossover and/or the volume on the sub too high. But it's not rocket science as long as you trust your ears. I'm sure having the appropriate measurement kit would give me an even better result, but I suspect the difference wouldn't be night and day.

I'd second the suggestion of looking at the BK 400 - good value at just ove £400 and very flexible. (and yes they used to make RELs). Although eBay can be useful as there are quite a few good secondhand subs on there (where I got my current REL).

One thing to note with RELs by the way is that they are not supposed to be used with a dual mono amp, or more sepcifically anything that doesn't have a common ground. You can get around it, as I have with my Ayre Ax-7e, but get it wrong and you risk frying the amp (as I found out with a pair of Albarry monoblocks a long time ago - oops)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts