Subwoofer cable - QED or Chord Crimson?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Pistol Pete1, yeah just noticed the price have come down on nearly all ranges of Qed subwoofer cable's. I ordered my Signature 3m cable yesterday and just received it today, was not happy specially i spent £81.00 and the same website is selling it for £54.00 today, the day after i ordered it, so i have sent them a email wanting a refund on the difference!!

Anyway, i have got my QED Signature cable 3m set up now and have tested it against my former subwoofer cable the Chord Crimson 3m. First impressions: i like the cable, well built, big RCA connections and very flexible considering how thick the cable is. I watched "Surrogates" on Blu Ray last night using the Chord Crimson, the bass on the Crimson is faultless, very deep and clean. Now i put the same scene that had the most bass (the night club scene with the music) using the QED Signature today and have to admit, there is a difference. The bass was a bit lower over the Crimson but was controlled, refined and much cleaner. I was impressed, so there is a difference i must say but the overall say so between the Chord and QED is that they are both great cable's, if you cannot afford to get the QED Signature, then i would every bit recommend the Chord Crimson or even the cheaper QED subwoofer cable's.

Regards> M

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that review M,

As I mentioned just above your informative write up, I ordered the QED signature sub 3 m cable today for £48........

Hopefully here tomorrow morning for some in depth listening......

Incidently, I assume the cable will improve over time once it has 'burnt in'? So you could well be hearing it as it's worst at the moment!!

A

Anonymous

Yes you may be right that it could take some listening with the cable to burn in and achieve peak performance but straight out the box, it is not bad at all, you will have to let me know what you think of it when you receive yours.

Regards> M

A

Anonymous

Pete, what website did you order yours from?? i ordered a reference for more than your sig cable! grrrr

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
That would be telling...........
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

lol, found it mate. Also found the "your cable has been shipped" mail from the other company today. Dammit.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, i ordered one after i posted last. Going to return the other one for a refund! Result.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Looks like u got the last one....'Out of Stock' now........

Glad I helped you..........it was such a bargain....can't believe my luck, and mine is due in the morning (tracking it).....

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
There is nothing like a successful bargain hunt, when you have the morning off work......
emotion-4.gif

I'll post my thoughts after a listen to my new purchase tomorrow.....

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Wow, ordered sub/aerial cables at lunchtime yesterday, and delivered at 9am this morning...great service audiovisualonline!!!

Been listening to solo drums and music with the new sub cable connected.......omg, what a difference!

I now have different depths of bass showing through, rather than it all 'muddled together'. The depth and punch of the bass is unheard of from my old QED Qunex P-SW cable. The clarity and definition has greatly improved too........

I love this QED Signature Sub cable!!!!!!

A

Anonymous

Pistol Pete1:

Ok,

Ordered QED Signature 3 metre Sub cable for £48, and

QED Reference 3 metre Aerial (male to male) for £28 (RRp £55)........

Both absolute bargains!!!!!!!

Pistol Pete if you get the chance can you let me know if using the QED Reference aerial cable has improved picture quaility at all, thinking about getting one myself. Many thanks

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi daveywavey18.......

Yes it has, but it wasn't ever going to be much of a competition as I was using a B&Q special before!!!

The picture and sound is much improved, although sound might be the because of new sub cable, but saying that the voices and high frequencies have improved too.

A friend of mine had a farely decent aerial cable, then replaced it with the QED Performance cable and found a good improvement with the picture, so I would highly recommend them...

Finally, just out of interest, I use 6 metres of aerial cable to a signal booster which links into my freeview tuner on my dvd recorder.......so a long pathway for the signal. With the B&Q cable we were never sure if the music channels would work or not......now with this new QED cable they work everytime.

Using the onboard 'signal strength tester' on the dvd recorder, it has strength of 89% and quality 100%, whereas the B&Q was not even close to that!!! (One reading was 2% signal strength, 0% quality).

I'm really shocked this cable improved this by that much, and shows that a good quality cable is worth it...... (No more B&Q cables for me!!!)

A

Anonymous

Thanks Pistol Pete, I'm going to order as right now I'm using a cheap cable myself. Hopefully when Freeview HD arrives there will be no need for a aerial cable upgrade again. Many thanks

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Congradulations of the purchase of your QED sub cable gald you liked it. I just bought a decent audioquest Y cable to connect to both L&R channels of the sub from the amp. I was surprised more vol. output and deeper bass from the sub.

Cheers,

Steve.

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
After reading through the thread and picking up on info from other posters, (thanks btw!) I have held off buying and am going to purchase the reference qed cable. I'm in a quandry as to which length to get, 3m or 6m. Where my sub sits currently, 3m is fine, but if I wanted to needed to move it, 3m wouldn't allow me to move it much due to room restrictions. I think I will buy the 6m cable, but am worried snaking it into an s under the unit would affect the sound quality. I may never need 6m, but I guess better to have the option of moving should I need to rather than buying another!

A

Anonymous

Pistol Pete, did you do an auto set up again when you tried your new cable? (The sig cable)

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Saying that, though...I originally set the receiver up manually, to then try the auto calibration. This gave very similar readings, so i went back to my reading.....

I don't use the DynamicEQ, and other circuitry, as I find the sound to be 'cleaner' without the extra processing on, which means the auto calibration was not needed, anyway....

danbeatles78

May 8, 2011
Visit site
hi,

just purchased the QED signature cable, previously I was using a cheap cable I got from amazon for £5 - after plugging in the cable I can say it is a definate improvement over the cheap cable I had previously which shouldn't come as much of a surprise but the difference isn't as much as I thought it might be. I was expecting the bass to be alot thicker and more stand out that it was before.

honest opinions do these more expensive cables much that much of a difference?

michael hoy

danbeatles78 said:
hi,

just purchased the QED signature cable, previously I was using a cheap cable I got from amazon for £5 - after plugging in the cable I can say it is a definate improvement over the cheap cable I had previously which shouldn't come as much of a surprise but the difference isn't as much as I thought it might be. I was expecting the bass to be alot thicker and more stand out that it was before.

honest opinions do these more expensive cables much that much of a difference?

Duck
smiley-sealed.gif

apollinaris

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Hello everybody,

Was extremely interesting to read through all the above messages as to which cable is better. However, my choice of the sub cables now is more fundamental and I kindly ask you for your input.

Does it make sense to buy sub cables of this category (20-30 pounds) for an entry-level subwoofer? I plan to buy Jamo 210 subwoofer which according to its price seems to be a really entry-level one. My other system's components are Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 and NAD C326 BEE, with Logitech Squeezebox Duet as a source; all interconnected with QED's cables (QED Performance Audio and QED Silver Anniversary XT).
QED Silver Anniversary XT).Or shall I go in this case for something more simple, entry-level? (e.g. QED Profile)Many thanks for your suggestions! ыва QED Silver Anniversary XT).

Or shall I go in this case for something more simple, entry-level? (e.g. QED Profile)

Many thanks for your suggestions!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts