Subwoofer or floor-stand route?

Glen12

Jan 24, 2009
Visit site
Quite happy with the sound of my set-up (both music and movies) in terms of its overall detail. However with some music/film I would like it to reach those lower levels a bit more. Does anyone think a subwoofer would be a good idea or change completely and go floorstanding route? I would like to maintain the overall detail I currently have.....just want a bit more oomph when I feel like it. Have moved speaker position etc but they are small-ish speakers so probably at their limit in terms of bass scale. Was thinking of the Wharfedale SW150 as good price now. Unable to audition. Would a subwoofer compromise anything or improve?

I have:

Monitor Audio BX2 (on sand filled stands)

Panasonic DMP-BDT500 Bluray

Marantz NR1504 AV Reciever

Marantz CD6005 CD

Atlas Equator MKiii Integra Interconnect

Chord Company Carnival Speaker cable (with banana plugs)

QED HDMI

Thanks

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
When I added a sub to both my systems, it certainly added quite a lot. Watching films was a much better experience with a sub (I have the BX2's in a HC system).

With music, the sub is connected via the high level to my hifi amp, and adds a lot of base that my small Mission speakers cannot produce - but it can sound very good, and sometimes not so good, and with certain recordings - I turn it off because it is just too much.

I can't comment on the SW150 sound wise, but it does seem like a very good price at the moment.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
have two Monolith Plus Subs in my AV system and they are fantastic for the money. Big though so make sure you can fit them in your listening/watching room. They come with all of the cabling to use them with both HiFi and AV simultaneously not that I ever use them for my two channel stuff anymore.

Beware JonathanRD's warning that subs can sound pretty pants on occasion when used to add whack to your two channel speakers. They can upset the harmonics and sound a little bloated, knocking out the mids.

Glen12

Jan 24, 2009
Visit site
Thats what I was thinking. I could just use for movies (and the odd party). Probably a silly question (will open up a can of worms on the forum) but I take it any old cable will surffice for a subwoofer?

Thanks for input

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Glen12 said:
Thats what I was thinking. I could just use for movies (and the odd party). Probably a silly question (will open up a can of worms on the forum) but I take it any old cable will surffice for a subwoofer?

Thanks for input

Yes. Any old sub cable will do.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I can thoroughly recommend BK subs, from memory the BK XXLS200 is similarly specced to the equivalent MA Bronze sub yet only just over £300.

For movies I would not be without a sub now - if you have not had a sub before, it is guaranteed to put a smile on your face at times - especially when your house is shaking :)

I'm no expert but subs do need to be set up well, and I'm still not sure I've perfected mine.

I've got both sets of front speakers side by side sharing the same stands (temporary solution to save buying another pair of stands), and I have compared (using the same source & amp) the Mission 780's against the BX2's and the BX2's do go deeper in the base.

But don't be put off, if you like hearing base in your music, adding a sub for 2 channel can be very rewarding (but as I've found not all the time).

I have just been listening to a Beegees One Night Only cd, with the sub on it's just fantastic, I listened to the whole cd - all 24 tracks - great stuff.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts