subs, big or small?

jokerpaulonline

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Is the main advantage of having a biger sub from the same manufacture, say from one costing £600 to one costing £2000, just that you can have it a lot louder without any distortion? or will it sound a lot better at lower volumns as well?

I was thinking of the M&k's with the KX12 and the MX350

A

Anonymous

jokerpaulonline:
Is the main advantage of having a biger sub from the same manufacture, say from one costing £600 to one costing £2000, just that you can have it a lot louder without any distortion? or will it sound a lot better at lower volumns as well?

I was thinking of the M&k's with the KX12 and the MX350

Often bigger = deeper (i.e. lower in audio frequency).

A

Anonymous

My RSW12 is very small and goes down to 21hz.

But take the monolith, its 3 times the size and can do 15hz I think. But you can eat your T off it.

A

Anonymous

xon501:You won't hear 15HZ anyways................
Feeling is as important (if not more important) than hearing deep bass.

caddyhound

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
Room comes into it as well.Big room ,big sub ,small room ,smaller sub.Bigger ones go deeper but a good small one is faster!Velodyne Ultra's have a built in DSP to get the best out of your room so don't dismiss them on size.

caddyhound

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
As already mentioned bigger gives you lower frequencies, nothing to do with loudness.The sub is best when it's sound output(in decibels) is the same as your other speakers so it doesn't dominate /drown the rest.

jokerpaulonline

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
caddyhound:As already mentioned bigger gives you lower frequencies, nothing to do with loudness.The sub is best when it's sound output(in decibels) is the same as your other speakers so it doesn't dominate /drown the rest.

Excuess my lack of knowledge

but the 2 subs that I mentioned both have the simular frequences, would 2 Hz lower make that much difference since there is about £1700 difference in price?

K12 sub

MILLERAmplifier & K150W

Bass Driver 12" SuperFast Bass Driver

Frequency Response at 3dB 20 to 200Hz

mx350 sub

Amplifier 400W

Bass Driver 12" Long-Throw Bass Drivers x2

Frequency Response at 3dB 18 to 200Hz

[*]

REISEL KX12 SUBMILLER & KREISEL KX12 SUBWOOFER FER

A

Anonymous

If you don't play loud enough to take advantage of the extra power, large subs tend to play the same volume level at a lower distortion. I admit though that distortion isn't as audible in this application.

Also, the same quoted frequency response could result to very different sounds (the same with buying speakers). If you have the chance, audition the subs to know which one suits you better.

TRENDING THREADS