Sub for 2 channel set op.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Hi all. I'm thinking of adding a sub (probably Dynaudio) to my set up which consists or Chord CPM3300 amp, Totem Mani II sigs and sources. The listening room is 8 x 4 meters, irregular wall's (barn), 5 meter ceiling and stone floor. I have plenty of soft furnishings which obviously helps. Sofas, rugs etc. What i'm trying to gain is a better frequency range across the board. The Frequency Response of the Mani is 29 Hz - 20 kHz ± 3 dB but a lot of the low end frequencies get lost as the room is so big so would adding a sub help with this and reveal more of the higher frequencies or would it be a dead end? Financially the sub would be a cheaper option as a decent pair of speakers would cost considerably more. How about acoustic damping behind speaker? Any ideas? [Y]

T

the record spot

Heard good things of the B&W PV1, £900 or so. Impressive looking hunk of sleek metal. Looks like a death star with a big chunk out of the side...

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
You are right. It is one of the fast subs that I have heard and it actually integrates with many things very easily. I have recently sold my gear but could not bring to sell the PV1. As an intermediate solution, I am just using my TV speakers and it has a subwoofer out. I connected PV1 to it and to my surprise it is so well integrated into the mediocre tv speakers. For smaller living spaces PV1 is perfect. It might not shake the room but definetly sings!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Nice system Shooter and the surroundings don't seem bad either.

I think a sub or two is a good and flexible addition to many systems. I'm not sure about revealing more of the higher frequencies but it should balance what you have. If you have a lack of high frequencies a change of speaker or at least re-positioning may be the better option.

And what is that Ak ak ... in your signature??

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
A PV1 (or even better, a pair of PV1s), would certainly put a smile on your face.

I use mine in my 2 channel system, and although not a patch on yours, I think it sounds great.

I'd definitely try to demo one

Oh. And don't pay too much attention to those who say it's all looks no performance. Mine can rattle my letterbox and my lounge is at the back of my house, yet it'll play 2 channel music without shacking the plaster from the walls (unless the music calls for it).
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

iv just added a leema splx10 to my stereo set up does a great job nice and punchy and managed to get it new for £550 worth a look

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi Lazar,

A short quick deviation from the original thread. How is the performance of ADM 9T? Do you feel a need for the sub with it? I really want to buy 9T but do not know how to get a demo :(

lazar1980

Aug 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

adm9t are very detailed and extremely clean sounding speakers( especially with two belkin pf30 feeding them now).

Gonna comment on bass but hope this ain`t gonna turn into pointless discussions and accusations of me being Ashley.

They certainly have bass(more then I expected) but they dont boom, is that lack of bass or total control I dont know.

Yes, they do need sub if you listening to bass heavy stuff but all standmounts do IMO.

I would really recommend audition if you not used to very clean sounding speakers, check dealer list and hopefully some1`s near you. If you in London Bartletts-hifi stocks them or you can come to hear mine!

Good luck

Lazar

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Cheers for the replies.
A PV1 or two could be a possibility, i presume as i haven't had time to check the spec but they can be daisy chained as i only have one sub out?
If i'm going to bye two PV1's though i could change the speakers. Hmm i need to sleep on this one.
emotion-21.gif

DM, the Ak ak ak ak ak! is a laugh; taken from a certain Mr Krabs, the proprietor of the Chum Bucket and the seller of the world famous Krabby Patty, check out the new avatar!
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

What about the Thunder sub ? They would go with your Mani s . Is this referred to as synergy ? With a large room as you have , my guess is the Mani speakers would be benefit having a descent sub along with it .

Gees , that spell check works wonders . :)

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
lazar1980:
I would really recommend audition if you not used to very clean sounding speakers, check dealer list and hopefully some1`s near you. If you in London Bartletts-hifi stocks them or you can come to hear mine!

I go to London often for work and so next time I am there, I should make a trip to the shop suggested by you.. And thank you for your invite!

Yes - I am very scared to even start a new post on ADM9T as I am too confused on the actual reality of the performance of these speakers. I have never interacted with Ashley as I got to know about ADM9T recently but there is a lot of buzzing on the forums both ways. The ADM9T fit my requirement the best! One stop solution (and awesome Sound quality on paper atleast - till the time I audition)

I have a feeling that there are separate DACs, pre-amps and power amps, cables etc etc just to encourage people to buy more and keep on upgrading. I am actually coming from HT world and it is even worse there with so much of technology and very little measure points for musicality. It is alright from the hobby perspective but the point is to enjoy the music rather than figuring out how to make the equipment sing!

A

Anonymous

Wishtree I have the 9.1s non t'd but if you can get to Bedford you are welcome to listen to mine. I agree with Lazar.

A

Anonymous

I have the MA RS-W12 in a well modified system, and it has the pace, timing and effortless power you are looking for.
Am surprised no one has pointed you in this direction yet.
For a room of your size it should be superior to the PV1 in filling it. Also being a tad cheaper is a win win!

http://whathifi.com/Review/Monitor-Audio-RS-W12/

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Nick and lazor for the inputs and invites! Just to keep the OP's original interest of integrating the sub, let us move our sub-discussion, possibly on to a different thread :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts