Student needs speaker advice!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
steve_1979 said:
You're going to really struggle for £30 I'm afraid. Second is the only way you'll find something decent.

Something like this would be exellent for £50? Clicky

He mentioned blue tooth, so I'm guessing he has no source, other than that.

Yeah I know but with such a low budget it's going to be very hard to find anything with blue tooth that has a good enough quality amplifier for those speakers. IMO he'd be better of connecting his phone/computer to the amplifier via the headphone output and then maybe getting a separate blue tooth adapter to plug into the amplifier later on.

£30 is very low for what is required.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Andy Thomas said:
Sorry if that's how it appears. I am incredibly uneducated in relation to these, and second hand systems always strike an element of caution!

For your budget, you're going to struggle to find anything worth having, unless it's second hand. Anything new is going to be useless, ultimately.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Andy Thomas said:
thankyou for all of your help, I really appreciate it!

Thankyou everybody :)

No problem. It was a pleasure chatting to you.

...and keep an eye on those big ugly home cinema amplifiers. Second hand they offer really exceptional value for money. They have good sound quality, loads of power and lots of extra features dispite costing less than regular stereo amplifiers. One of these would still be your best bet IMO. ;)

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
The unfortunate reality is you probably purchased something unsuitable and you'll waste even more money trying to remedy that by buying a cheap amp. You should be able to return these by exercising your distance selling regulation rights. The buyer has the right to return something purchased online within 7 to 14 days. You are only responsible for the return postage which is where your £30 would be better spent, if it even costs that much. Don't open the package to save yourself the hassle of packing it up again. You should be refunded full purchase price and whatever shipping costs you paid to have it delivered.

Use that refund to buy something like a bose soundlink mini. Built in bluetooth, 3.5mm jack in for your pc. Plays loud, good bass, not bad sound quality and most importantly far better suited to your needs.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Andy Thomas said:
Brill.

So all i need is your best amp for price reccomendation. What is the best I can get, that's not too bulky but really preserves the sound for around £40?

:)

This one is a bit over budget (sorry but I'm struggling to find anything decent quality and not as ugly as a home cinema amplifier for £40) but what about this for £60? Clicky

It says it's 150watts which will certainly be an exaggeration. In reality it'll only be half that but it should be pretty good quality and powerful enough for your speakers.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Andy Thomas said:
I was incliened to get some after my friend (who owns these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038W0NEU/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd...) used them at a party. I presume the ones i've bought are better (but less bass-y), I just wonder whether he's testing his to the limit?!

Those computer speakers have the amplifier built into them so whoever designed it would have matched the amplifier part to the speaker part to make sure it has enough power. Your friend is probably pushing them to their limit but those type of computer speakers are usually designed to be idiot proof and are very hard to damage so they'll probably be fine even when pushed past the maximum volume and into distortion.

Your speakers and that £60 Cambridge Audio amplifier will have much better sound quality than those. The total volume output will probably be pretty similar though.

Andy Thomas said:
What if i were to look for ones that state to be 80watts, not 150? Surely that's enough (and ultiamtely cheaper)

eg. these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/PCA2-Computer-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B001P2VV50

IMO for your budget you'd be better off getting something second hand from a reputable manufacturer such as Cambridge Audio, Marantz, Sony, Yamaha, Panasonic etc.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
You're going to really struggle to find something that plays loudly and with good quality for £30 I'm afraid. Second is the only way you'll find something decent.

Something like this would be good for £50? Clicky It's only 20 watts but should be fine so long as you don't push it too loud and will probably be better than those 30 watt amps you suggested.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Andy Thomas said:
- I will be playing music loudly, and would want the best quality possible, especially for the bass.

Herein lies your problem I'm afraid. Playing music loudly using a cheap (read underpowered) amplifier is a sure fire way to damage your speakers. You'll need something with a bit more muscle which is why a second hand home cinema amplifier will be best for that price although I agree that they are big and ugly.

Is it too late to return the speakers? I could suggest a few complete systems that fit all of your needs for that budget which will be very good. But with only £40 left to play with your not going to get anything that's small, stylish, has blue tooth and most importantly of all enough power to play at a good volume without risking damage to your speakers.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Andy Thomas said:
They'll be arriving tomorrow, and I doubt it'll be easy to return them.

I understand what you're saying, and I can't thank you enough for your advice so far. Those cambridge audio ones seemed promising, but if they can't ensure decent sound quality, i'm slight screwed!

The company suggests 20 watts per channel, so 40 in total. Would the cambridge ones be suffice, or will they sound terrible once the speakers ar blaring at full blast?

Thanks.

The quality will be fine at low to medium volume but will sound distorted and risk speaker damage if you turn it up loud.

If you want to play loud without damaging your speakers you'll need at least 50 watts and preferably closer to 100 watts would be better. A low powered amplaifier pushed past it limit is much more likely to damage your speakers than a high powered amplifier running within its limit.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Andy Thomas said:
Thanks for the suggestion. It says it has 6 ports, is that necessary? Would reducing the ports reduce the price?

I don't need perfect sound, just as good as possible, I can compromise on that slightly

Don't wory about that. Most amplifiers have several inputs. It's quite normal and a few extra sockets have minimal impact on the price. From a manufacturing point of view the most expensive part is the metal case and the quality of the actual amplifier and PSU electronics inside.

One thing to bare in mind. Your speakers will be able to play at quite good volume levels but don't expect either the amplifier or your speakers to be able to play a party levels for long periods of time. Neither the amplifier or your speakers are desigined to take that sort of abuse. As soon as you hear any sort of distortion or the sound starts to 'harden' turn it down before something gets damaged.

Also make sure that you turn the amplifier off whenever you're plugging or unplugging any cables into it. This also applies for when plugging the 3.5mm jack end of the cable into your phone/computers headphone output.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Andy Thomas said:
So this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cambridge-Audio-Topaz-AM1-Intergrated-Amplifie...

is your final opinion, even though it's only 20w?

Thanks for your help :)

That will only be fine for low to meduim volume levels but if you want to play loud you'll need something with more power. If you want to play loud aim for a minimum of 50 watts and stick to a second hand amplifier from a reputable manufacturer like Cambridge Audio, Marantz, Sony, Yamaha or Panasonic for the best VFM.

This one for £60 is the best that I could find. Clicky

EDIT - It seems that someone has just bought it 5 munites ago. I wonder if they were reading this thread? :)

Wait until tomorrow and see what suggestions the other forum members can come up with.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Andy Thomas said:
Sorry if that's how it appears. I am incredibly uneducated in relation to these, and second hand systems always strike an element of caution!

For your budget, you're going to struggle to find anything worth having, unless it's second hand. Anything new is going to be useless, ultimately.

I agree. Any new amplifier for under £40 is going to be rubbish.

olafmol

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Amen, +1. It seems you really want a system that can play loud party-music coming from your computer, and that sounds halfway decent with plenty of bass (so not specifically hi-fi), for a limited budget. It's a waste of money to purchase hifi-speakers for your demands. Better buy some active (powered) DJ speakers from f.e. JB systems, DAP Audio, Behringer, Mackie, Electro Voice or Samson, (all not hifi, but perfect for party sound systems, you still need a mixer/gain control btw to control volume btw), or buy a decent Sonos or Denon bluetooth speaker.

Really, this will make you a lot happier that trying to stretch your budget going into the hifi-road, while you really want a loud party-system with bass.

Good luck!

ChrisIRL said:
The unfortunate reality is you probably purchased something unsuitable and you'll waste even more money trying to remedy that by buying a cheap amp. You should be able to return these by exercising your distance selling regulation rights. The buyer has the right to return something purchased online within 7 to 14 days. You are only responsible for the return postage which is where your £30 would be better spent, if it even costs that much. Don't open the package to save yourself the hassle of packing it up again. You should be refunded full purchase price and whatever shipping costs you paid to have it delivered.

Use that refund to buy something like a bose soundlink mini. Built in bluetooth, 3.5mm jack in for your pc. Plays loud, good bass, not bad sound quality and most importantly far better suited to your needs.

Thanks for your response! I can imagine that i've throughoily pissed off many a person during this ordeal!

Could you reccomend me any systems around the £100 mark, or should I jsut buy something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cambridge-Audio-TOPAZ-AM1-Stereo-Amplifier-Hi-Fi-Separate/191722471886?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107083358%26meid%3D9cba910207e44fd993f266d99bd00232%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D262108548852 and bite the bullet?

Thanks,

Andy

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Andy Thomas said:

Both of those Cambridge Audio amplifiers will work and sound ok but don't expect them to go particularly loud. You really need something with 50-100 watts to drive your speakers properly at higher volume levels.

You'll be very lucky if you manage to find an amplifier within your budget with that sort of power unless you're willing to consider using an AV receiver (a home cinema amplifier) .

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
olafmol said:
Amen, +1. It seems you really want a system that can play loud party-music coming from your computer, and that sounds halfway decent with plenty of bass (so not specifically hi-fi), for a limited budget. It's a waste of money to purchase hifi-speakers for your demands. Better buy some active (powered) DJ speakers from f.e. JB systems, DAP Audio, Behringer, Mackie, Electro Voice or Samson, (all not hifi, but perfect for party sound systems, you still need a mixer/gain control btw to control volume btw), or buy a decent Sonos or Denon bluetooth speaker.

Really, this will make you a lot happier that trying to stretch your budget going into the hifi-road, while you really want a loud party-system with bass.

Good luck!

I agree.

Even with a good quality amplifier those speakers that he has bought are hifi speakers which are not designed to be used at party volume levels. He'd be best off getting a refund on them then we can suggest a few complete systems that would properly furfil his requirements.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
This Corsair SP2500 2.1 speaker system with built in amplifiers would be ideal for your needs. Clicky

It has fantastic sound quality (better than most hifi speakers for that price) and will go really loud with loads of bass. It costs £190 new so £150 is a bit high second hand. Remind the seller of this and make him an offer for £120 and see what he says.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The Seiwin 5a at just £129 are outstanding for the money. Just drive them from your phone, if it is a decent Android model you can add a Bluetooth reciever and go wireless at a later date.

However, I get the impression you are not in the uk so the Seiwins will be difficult to source, plenty of other options though, depending on your local market.

Nothing wrong with the Polk speakers, chust the wrong choice at this time and with your budget. To get a bit of perspective, the Seiwin 5a will be much better than the Polks, with any of the amplifiers mentioned, a lot cheaper too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts