10m HDMI cable for 4k projector

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Had a demo of the Optoma uhd65 today and decided to buy it. I am going to get Richer Sounds to do the install (subject to the quote being reasonable) but the salesman is trying to tell me that I need a £250 HDMI cable, which is of course ridiculous. I do not believe in magic cables, just need a decent construction and 4k compatibility. Any recommendations ?

I thought this looked ok http://www.amazon.co.uk/10M-PRO-GOLD-Ethernet-Return-Red/dp/B0036BHCSS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1507997189&sr=8-3&keywords=10m+hdmi+lead+4k

That's a well made cable, I've got the 1 or 2m version.

If it's an install with the cable buried in, I would recommend you put at least 2 cables in, in case one fails. I've put 2 HDMI cables and 2 Ethernet cables in my install: I can even use Ethernet cables for HDMI duties.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Thanks big boss. Yes, it will be in the ceiling, so that's a good suggestion. As a supplementary question, how do you control your system? RS are suggesting some fancy Ethernet system that can also be used to transmit HDMI with converters, but it seems expensive (£1000) and I can cope with multiple remotes. Do you have a cable connecting the projector to the screen so the it deploys automatically?

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
as its the one I use between my Cambridge audio blu-ray player and (non 4K) projector, the only thing is it is quite a thick cable (almost hosepipe size) so not as flexible as some but for the money I think it is excellent value.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet-HIGH-SPEED-Ethernet-Channel-Genuine-White/dp/B002EA4276/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1508002058&sr=8-11&keywords=neet%2Bhdmi%2Bcable&th=1

*music2*

macdiddy said:
as its the one I use between my Cambridge audio blu-ray player and (non 4K) projector, the only thing is it is quite a thick cable (almost hosepipe size) so not as flexible as some but for the money I think it is excellent value.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet-HIGH-SPEED-Ethernet-Channel-Genuine-White/dp/B002EA4276/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1508002058&sr=8-11&keywords=neet%2Bhdmi%2Bcable&th=1

*music2*

Yes, that's the 10m cable I'm using. I was looking for Neet 4K cables to.rexommend to the OP, but don't think they've released the 4K version as yet.

hammill said:
Thanks big boss. Yes, it will be in the ceiling, so that's a good suggestion. As a supplementary question, how do you control your system? RS are suggesting some fancy Ethernet system that can also be used to transmit HDMI with converters, but it seems expensive (£1000) and I can cope with multiple remotes. Do you have a cable connecting the projector to the screen so the it deploys automatically?
I use Logitech Harmony Elite remote to control everything. There's an "eye" near my AV system that transmits signal to my projector placed at other end of the room.

If you're interested in the Harmony Elite, wait for Black Friday; you'll get it for around £120 (currently £260).

abacus

You will need to go for a cable that is rated for 18Gbs for 4K HDR, unfortunately this gets difficult above 8m, (The one you linked too is not up to the required standard, nor is the one suggested by Macdiddy, which although better still falls short) but there is no need to go to £250 (I presume it’s the QED one) as you can get a 4K 18Gbs extender and 2 shorter cables for less cost. (Although you will need to factor in the power supply)

An extender like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portta-Repeater-Extender-Support-LPCM7-1/dp/B06VW4ZV6X/ref=sr_1_22?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1508004146&sr=1-22&keywords=hdmi+4k+hdr+extender would work (You would need to get a USB power supply as well) and 2 x5m 18Gbs cables would be fine.

If you can get away with 7.5m then there are plenty of 18Gbs cables out there for reasonable cost. (Less than £20)

Hope the above points you in the right direction.

Bill

Even with previous generation HDMI cables, they were certified to work only upto a particular distance. But that didn't mean they didn't work over longer distances. They'll either work or not work.

I've got this one as the 2nd cable, again brilliant. Test it with your system. If it works, it works. If it doesn't work, it won't. Simply return it in that case.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KabelDirekt-Cable-compatible-Highspeed-Ethernet-Black/dp/B004XJC6ZG

Actually, you should be fine up to 10m.

https://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx#44

Q. Does HDMI accommodate long cable lengths?
Yes. HDMI technology has been designed to use standard copper cable construction at long lengths. In order to allow cable manufacturers to improve their products through the use of new technologies, HDMI specifies the required performance of a cable but does not specify a maximum cable length. We have seen cables pass "Standard Cable" HDMI compliance testing at lengths of up to a maximum of 10 meters without the use of a repeater.

abacus

Most HDMI cables will work with 4K/30 resolution, however it’s when you get up to 4K/60 HDR (4:4:4) that they will fail. (The HDMI handshake will determine what quality it will work at)

Big Boss suggestion to try before you buy is a good one; just make sure you try it at the highest quality settings to be sure.

I use the previous generation of Kabel Direkt HDMI (Including a 10m run) which were designed for HD, and they are absolutely top notch with my HD system, the only criticism being that they are a little stiff thus requiring a little more planning when setting out the run.

Have fun

Bill

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
This one at least has users who have tested it with 4:4:4, so I will give it a try.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultra-HDTV-Adaptors-Connectors-Ethernet-1-Pack/product-reviews/B01FXRN074/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewopt_fmt?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&formatType=current_format&pageNumber=1

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
As an alternative to running two HDMIs just in case the "wee beasties" chew through one, consider running your HDMI cable inside a conduit and also running a stainless steel cable (small diameter - like 1/8 inch or smaller - naturally) inside the conduit as well. If / when the wee beasties chew through HDMI #1, there's no guarantee they won't have chewed through #2 as well, but a stainless steel cable might be a bit more than they can cope with. If / when HDMI #1 is kaput you can use the stainless steel cable to pull the replacement through the conduit. Not only that, but the conduit might stop the wee beasties getting at the cable in the first place...

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi All,

The cable I got from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FXRN074/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 is working fine with the OPPO and Optoma. I only have Planet Earth 2 in 4k so far, but it is stunning.

It did not work at first, but it turned out the installer did not know that only HDMI 2 on the Optoma supports 4k, fortunately I read the manual before returning the cable.

HDMI standards are only defined for cables up to a certain length (8m I think). Otherwise, you're right that cost of cable has no bearing on performance. Build quality is more important, and several cheap cables are very well made.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
HDMI standards are only defined for cables up to a certain length (8m I think). Otherwise, you're right that cost of cable has no bearing on performance. Build quality is more important, and several cheap cables are very well made.

anything over 5 meters is when you need to look at quality of cables is my understanding

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Alantiggger said:
Surely the HDMI Cable are MADE to be able to connect  ?

A 'cheap' one MUST be able to show SAME as expensive HDMI.... ?

Else the 'cable' would NOT make 'the grade' ?
If only all suppliers were that honest.

Did you ever hear the true story about the wire holding up the Brooklyn Bridge? Very high specifications were set. Trouble was only one drum was ever manufactured to spec. Samples from that drum were cut for testing and passed off as coming from all the subsequent substandard drums.

My poi t is, less than honest suppliers could produce one or two "perfect" cables to submit for testing. Once the tests are passed they manufacture thousands of substandard cables they flog on auction sites, net based retailers, etc. with virtually no comeback.

Benedict_Arnold said:
Alantiggger said:
Surely the HDMI Cable are MADE to be able to connect  ?

A 'cheap' one MUST be able to show SAME as expensive HDMI.... ?

Else the 'cable' would NOT make 'the grade' ?
If only all suppliers were that honest.

Did you ever hear the true story about the wire holding up the Brooklyn Bridge? Very high specifications were set. Trouble was only one drum was ever manufactured to spec. Samples from that drum were cut for testing and passed off as coming from all the subsequent substandard drums.

My poi t is, less than honest suppliers could produce one or two "perfect" cables to submit for testing. Once the tests are passed they manufacture thousands of substandard cables they flog on auction sites, net based retailers, etc. with virtually no comeback.
....or they could be fakes and not made by the manufacturer (whose cables received excellent reviews) at all.

I’m experiencing a HDMI issue right now, and it has come to light since buying a UHD TV due to my projector breaking down and not being able to afford to get it repaired or replaced.

At one point, I had a fairly cheap HDMI cable running from my processor at the back of the room to what was originally a 20 odd inch TV that used occasionally for the odd documentary. The length of this cable is 8-10m, I forget which. It was just a cheap one bought off Amazon, as all it had to do was transfer 720p picture (no sound needed). After about 3 years, this cable suddenly stopped working. I replaced it with another Amazon cable of similar length for about £17 - it was compatible with 1080P, UHD, ARC, 3D etc etc. Since then I’d changed the TV to a larger 39” 1080p screen. Everything was fine. A couple of months ago I changed to a 55” UHD TV. I played around with my soon to be discarded Oppo to see which looked better upscaling - the Oppo or the Sony TV. It was marginal, but I chose the Oppo to do it. I found that, randomly, the channel information would pop up on the screen, which becomes annoying when it happens quite frequently. I found that if I switched to 1080p output on the Oppo, the flashes of information stopped occurring. Live tried everything I can think of, and done many hours Googling to see if I can stop it happening, to no avail. This has never happened before - the only info flashing on screen up to this point was the Classé’s on screen display, but I’ve put a stop to that.

I’ll replace my current HDMI cable with an entry level AudioQuest at some point and see how I get on. If it continues, I guess it’ll be something to do with the Oppo (or maybe all Bluray players, if everyone else experiences it too). It’ll now have the duty of performing ARC duties though, as I’ll be using the Netflix and Amazon Prime apps from the TV, and will need to get the audio back to my processor.

abacus

So long as the cable is certified to pass 18Gbs it will be fine, (Whether it costs £5 or £5000) however, the longer the cable the better the quality has to be, (As always there will be a limit on what length you can get to) which is why you have to be careful when you read the descriptions on cables, (The small print) as the 18Gbs certification may only apply to the shorter lengths of the range.

As always, avoid anything made by Hi-Fi cable manufactures, as they just rip you off with a fancy name and some gobbledegook.

Bill

TRENDING THREADS