Streaming to integrated amp

Jackyaga

Mar 28, 2020
Hi all

I have a poor Sherwood amp running nice Mordant Short702i avanti bookshelves. They have been dug out of the attic.

Basically want to spend £350 and only listen to music via Spotify Premium these days.

I want to control music from wirelessly from my phone.

Am I best getting a new amp like Marantz PM6006 UK or getting a better 2nd hand analogue amp (Arcam or Cyrus) and getting a separate network DAC like Yamaha wxad10 or Chromecast Audio. I listen to indie, rock and dance music mainly, with occasional classical. As you can tell, I am a little confused.

https://www.richersounds.com/yamaha-wxad10-darkgrey.html

Really appreciate your help.

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Hi all

I have a poor Sherwood amp running nice Mordant Short702i avanti bookshelves. They have been dug out of the attic.

Basically want to spend £350 and only listen to music via Spotify Premium these days.

I want to control music from wirelessly from my phone.

Am I best getting a new amp like Marantz PM6006 UK or getting a better 2nd hand analogue amp (Arcam or Cyrus) and getting a separate network DAC like Yamaha wxad10 or Chromecast Audio. I listen to indie, rock and dance music mainly, with occasional classical. As you can tell, I am a little confused.

https://www.richersounds.com/yamaha-wxad10-darkgrey.html

Really appreciate your help.
Hi there
The PM6006 is a brilliant amp but doesn’t have Bluetooth or a USB input. I would recommend looking at one of these. All you need for streaming plus plenty of power and good build quality

DCarmi

Nov 15, 2019
I have both a pm6006 and dm41dab. Both have Chromecast audio into optical and both are excellent. The Marantz is quite a big beastie whereas the Denon is much more compact.

I also use the Denon as my radio alarm.

Jackyaga

Mar 28, 2020
Hi there
The PM6006 is a brilliant amp but doesn’t have Bluetooth or a USB input. I would recommend looking at one of these. All you need for streaming plus plenty of power and good build quality
the UK ver
I have both a pm6006 and dm41dab. Both have Chromecast audio into optical and both are excellent. The Marantz is quite a big beastie whereas the Denon is much more compact.

Thanks so much. Seeing as I already have the speakers, which one sounds better? I don’t need a tuner or CD player. Would chromecast with Marantz be the best for sound?

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
the UK ver

Thanks so much. Seeing as I already have the speakers, which one sounds better? I don’t need a tuner or CD player. Would chromecast with Marantz be the best for sound?
Hello, I was referring to the UKSE model as not having Bluetooth or a USB. The Denon is a very good micro system but, unless space is an issue, the larger Marantz will sound better.

Reactions: DougK

jjbomber

Dec 22, 2006
Any amp with Spotify connect built in should be better than chromecast.

Last edited:

Mike Hunt

Jan 22, 2020
Any amp with Spotify connect built in should be better than chromecast.

I feel I may not fully understand Chromecast... but unless I'm greatly mistaken, it's all but useless?
I bought a 4K version, plugged it in, scratched my head for a day and wondered... Does it even serve a purpose? Before sending it back for a refund. It certainly doesn't seem to serve a purpose that any smart TV or Android box/stick can't do better.

gasolin

Mar 17, 2013

WHY the Denon RCDM41DAB has bluetooth built in

For a Denon RCDM41DAB i won't recommend less than 88db speaker unless it's only for back ground music in a small room

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK

gasolin

Mar 17, 2013
Yes a little

Bot have around 50 watt in 8 ohm, not on paper but measured

Both don't have enough power to make 84-85db speakers play really loud, 86 db 4 ohm speakers might be okay

The nad doesn't have the same power as the normal sized nad amps MY nad D3020 got a litte varm, only 2 small long ventilation holes on each side of the amp, i don't like the firmness of the volumecontrol on the nad v1 and v2

The Marantz amp get's less hot, no matter what you use and play it never really get's hot

DCarmi

Nov 15, 2019
WHY the Denon RCDM41DAB has bluetooth built in

For a Denon RCDM41DAB i won't recommend less than 88db speaker unless it's only for back ground music in a small room
I bought the Chromecast Audio when it was under £20 for my old mini system in the bedroom.
Also, I often stream from my PC and Chromecast is a lot less hassle and I did not have bluetooth on my PC at the time (do now).
Finally, I can use multi-room streaming. I don't do it often but it is nice to have. I can wander down to the kitchen and still be listening to my audio.

I just prefer Chromecast but you are right, bluetooth is a decent option.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts