Streaming system improvement advice

Lord_Monkfish

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi folks,

I'm looking to make some improvements to my current hifi setup. I use a NAD D 3020 amplifier and Monitor Audio R270HD floorstanders. I have been streaming music from my phone via bluetooth, resulting in compression, even when using a lossless streaming service such as Tidal.

I would like to improve my system so that I can stream music at lossless quality without having to plug my MacBook into the amplifier.

One option I have been considering (but I don't know if this will work) is purchasing the new Apple TV. The Apple TV has a USB-C connection, so I was hoping I could connect it to the 3020 using USB. I could then either a) stream lossless audio from my MacBook or iPhone using the built in AirPlay of the Apple TV, or b) use the built-in Apple Music on the Apple TV, even though it isn't lossless (but is good for playlists etc.).

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!

daveh75

Lord_Monkfish said:
IOne option I have been considering (but I don't know if this will work) is purchasing the new Apple TV. The Apple TV has a USB-C connection, so I was hoping I could connect it to the 3020 using USB.

It won't work. The USB-C on the ATV 4 is a service port.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Are being very badly served with the switch from optical outputs to 'do everything' HDMI, with two of the best music streaming solutions, Amazon Fire TV and the ATV having gone down that route.

The quite ridiculous prices of streamers from the mainstream hi-fi manufacturers does not help either, one of the better options I have seen (but not heard) is the Raumfeld Connector 2, currently still £149. It has support for Tidal and Spotify Connect, direct Android/iOS streaming and the usual network functions.

No video though, but otherwise a very interesting product at a somewhat more sensible price.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If it's just for audio then what's wrong with the AirPort Express? I've just bought the most recent version for AirPlay.

You can connect it to your NAD D3020 using either the NAD's Toslink input, or it's 'AUX 2'/'Optical 2' 3.5mm mini-optical connection.

Or get the last generation ATV for £59. My local John Lewis still has a shelf full of them.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
The quite ridiculous prices of streamers from the mainstream hi-fi manufacturers does not help either, one of the better options I have seen (but not heard) is the Raumfeld Connector 2, currently still £149. It has support for Tidal and Spotify Connect, direct Android/iOS streaming and the usual network functions.

No video though, but otherwise a very interesting product at a somewhat more sensible price.

An even more sensible price here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raumfeld-Connector-Transforms-traditional-streamers/dp/B00B2J83Z2

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
expat_mike said:
davedotco said:

An even more sensible price here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raumfeld-Connector-Transforms-traditional-streamers/dp/B00B2J83Z2

That is an excellent price, just make sure it is the latest Connector 2 model.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The Chromecast audio streamer seems great in theory but there are reports of unreliable and glichy software, the most important being a tendency to forget set volume levels and default to full output.

If you are driving active or powered speakers direct, that could be pretty disastrous.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts