Streaming Spotify via Wifi into Marantz CD6006 SE

Desade

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

Noobie technophobe here so please bear with.....I listen to spotify on my desktop PC but want to know if I can broadcast spotify via my home wifi to be picked up via a wifi receiver which can plug into the USB input of my Marantz CD6006 SE. I understand there are bluetooth receivers but I'm fairly sure bluetooth compresses to a certain extent and would compromise quality. Is there any way of doing this via home wifi as described and if so what kind of receiver would I need??

Any advice/help would be gratefully received.

DCarmi

I don't think you will find anything to connect to the CD player. USB is for memory sticks only and the device has no line-in connections.

I assume want to do this on a budget, which pretty much rules out a dedicated hifi streamer, then a bluetooth device with aptX or aptXHD support is an option.

If you can find one around £30 mark then a Chromecast Audio (discontinued) would work a treat. It is what I use on a couple of systems. I have seen refurbished devices from places like MyMemory, reasonably priced. If your amp has an optical in connection, use a mini toslink to toslink cable otherwise mini- to RCA jack cable. This would be my preferred option.

Another option would be to use an Amazon echo dot connected to your amp using a mini->RCA jack cable. You should be able to find one of these pretty cheaply in the sales at the end of the month. Just turn off the microphone. I have tried this and it works fine but I prefer Chromecast. The 3rd gen echo dot was down to £19, recently. A cable will cost about £5.

The Acrylic S10, I have seen someone rave about, on here, might be worth looking at but I have no experience of it. I think this is around £50.

Desade

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
@ DCarmi
Thank you for your reply. You're partly right regarding the budget.....I'm only interested in having the facility for soirees/dinner parties so can't really justify a dedicated streamer but I don't want to compromise too much on quality. I've recently invested in a pair of Divine Acoustic speakers and can't bring myself to sully them with anything too compressed so perhaps a aptXHD capable bluetooth device might be my only reasonable option. I don't mind spending around £150-200 so are there any 'mid range' dedicated receivers?
Also I guess I would be limited by the quality of the device casting to the receiver is this correct? If I don't have something able to braodcast at the same quality then I may just give it a miss and stick with getting up from the table every time I have to change the CD........damn these 1st world problems!!

DCarmi

I suggest that the biggest restraint on quality is the source (Spotify), itself. Something like Chromecast or Echo dot would easily handle such streams, for a fairly small amount of dosh. In my opinion it is not until you get into the £400-500 range, where you find some quality components like the Node 2i etc.

For the sort of listening you are suggesting, which is largely background and atmospheric, I think you'll be fine. If you become serious about streaming sources then look at a more expensive options including better quality streams, i.e. CD quality or better (which Spotify is not).

A budget of £200-ish would bring in some other options but I'd wait until you have the requirement and feel the need to splash out on something better. Neither option is going to be expensive, so if you don't like it you've wasted probably under £30!

DCarmi

I should add that I have a PM6006 amp which both Chromecast and a bluetooth device both plugged in via optical (toslink) using the DAC in the amp. I prefer Chromecast for ease of use and I can also use multi-room streaming to a Google speaker in the kitchen, so I don't miss out when prepping meals. I also use Spotify and mostly stream using my phone but PC would work fine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts