Streaming/Audio Storage - where to start?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I've been a CD user for years, but I've been seriously thinking about moving over to this streaming lark.

A friend gave me a second hand airport express and I pluged it into my Marantz 4001 amp via a jack to phono (there's no optical in on my amp) and I had to say it sounded pretty terrible, even using Apple Lossless, so I pretty much gave up on it.

What's the best way for one to get into this avenue? I need excellent sound quality that's at least as good as my Marantz 5001 CD player or I don't really see the point.

Most of my music is in iTunes, but I don't have a problem with re-ripping it if necessary. I own it all on CD anyway! I'd like to get away from having to have my laptop on all the time when I'm listening, but it's not a big deal if I can't do this at first.

Hope people can advise,

Chris.

John Duncan

I wouldn't say an Airport Express sounds *terrible*, but it can certainly be improved by adding a DAC between it and your amp; the 3.5mm jack is also an optical out. With the right DAC, in my experience, you can comfortably outperform your CD player.

Alternatively, a Squeezebox Touch at about 200 quid will also do what you want, and more. It's also slightly easier (IMO) to run a separate music server (as distinct from your PC) with Squeezebox than it is with an iTunes library as your source.

Did you have a budget in mind?

A

Anonymous

Hi John,

I should have also said that I want to be able to harness the new Hi-Def Lossless FLAC 24bit encodings. If I'm going to go down this route, I want to be able to get the advantages of it audio-wise. As far as I know, the airport express doesn't support FLAC, and I don't want to downgrade my 24bit FLACs just because Apple want to dictate to me which audio formats I should be using.

Budget wise - not sure. I'd say I didn't want to spend much more than 200 - 300 if it can be helped, and this would be max. Obviously, the cheaper the better.

Are there older squeezebox models/DACs I could look for on ebay?

Chris.

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
>Are there older squeezebox models/DACs I could look for on ebay?<

Yep. Squeezebox Transporter - they usually make £600 to £700. Will see off pretty much anything except top-end Naim and Linn

A

Anonymous

I'm currently thinking I may invest in a good DAC first (something like the dac magic), keep using the airport express for now, and then get a squeezebox in a few months...

Chris.

nads

lambda said:
I'm currently thinking I may invest in a good DAC first (something like the dac magic), keep using the airport express for now, and then get a squeezebox in a few months...

Chris.

The DAC. In the touch sees off the DacMagic. The Touch is also just about as good as the Transporter.

The older squeeze boxes dont do HiRes IIRC do check. The Touch does.

Storage. Would go for a NAS as it can live anywhere and can be accessed from anywhere. While a HDD needs to be ear the player.

A

Anonymous

Hiya,

So are you saying that the DAC in the squeezebox is as good as a DAC magic?

I'm so confused now! Lol!

Chris.

A

Anonymous

That's interesting. No point in buying a dacmagic then, if the squeeze box is equally as good.

Another option is go with a slim line PC media centre with optical out. You can get an acer machine for about £200 with digital audio out.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
lambda said:
That's interesting. No point in buying a dacmagic then, if the squeeze box is equally as good.

Another option is go with a slim line PC media centre with optical out. You can get an acer machine for about £200 with digital audio out.

You'd still need a DAC in that case.

A

Anonymous

Yes that's very true. Th squeezebox does sound very interesting though.

Do you have a Spotify Premium account? What does the quality of the audio compare to CDs? I have a free account and use it all the time, but I like to own albums, and I'm not sure £10 a month is worth it just to stream music. I could spend that on buying albums instead.

A

Anonymous

Sorry another dumb question. I ahve a mac book air, so another option would be to buy a usb cable ( I sit about 2 metres away from my hifi anyway). Would a USB only DAC be cheaper and still sound just as good as my CD player?

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i have heard the touch and the dac magic is not worse or better it is a different sound. the dac magic is way better than my duet, but the touch is class if you have a smart phone i did not at the time and wanted something to carry around.

i would echo the lads in saying that squeezebox server is the way forward.

spotify premium is class and it can be used on wake at lan so you laptop can sleep at say 20w and then wake when needed very good. but alot use a nas to feed it which is something i am looking at in 2012.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts