Stream (Linn Majik DS) or a DAC + mac mini?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I suspect that the differences that you hear, are volume related. It will be quite difficult I imagine, to level match with the headphones, but bear in mind that louder always sounds clearer and therefore percieved to be better.

TB303

May 26, 2008
Visit site
Overdose said:
I suspect that the differences that you hear, are volume related. It will be quite difficult I imagine, to level match with the headphones, but bear in mind that louder always sounds clearer and therefore percieved to be better.

I agree taht louder sounds better - what I try to do is go by dynamic range - I knkow taht with the AKG 551 they have theis amazing sense of soundstage scale (for closed headphones), basically if the volume is too high I can hear the soundstage losing the scale and if I lower the volume a bit I can hear it again - It's probably related to dynamic range...

Not very scientific but not complete Voodo too..

just my 2p

TB303

May 26, 2008
Visit site
Overdose said:
TB303 said:
just my 2p

There's a bit more at stake than two pence if you can find something to do the job for much less. I'd try the iPhone with a portable headphone amp and then compare the two first.

Good idea.

I'll also compare this again the Linn Majik and Akurate DS, (at a proper hifi set up), which were the other two options.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
nopiano said:
Overdose said:
TB303 said:
just my 2p

There's a bit more at stake than two pence if you can find something to do the job for much less. I'd try the iPhone with a portable headphone amp and then compare the two first.
Isn't the Hugo DAC a portable headphone amp then?

It is, but my point is that the iPhone with a basic headphone amp may well perform equally well as with an expensive headphone amp/DAC.

HERE is a good review of the iPhone 5 audio capabilities.

I would like to reiterate that I think the Hugo is a very expensive device for what it does and far better gains can be had elsewhere for the money. For example, a far better pair of headphones would eclipse any benefit that the Hugo is purported to give.

TB303

May 26, 2008
Visit site
To be fair,

I got the Hugo to be a source in a proper HiFi set up I'm building - this is the first component so at the moment I'm using (and enjoying) it with my headphones - but I won't be able to plug an iphone to a proper amplifier... not easily anyway.

I also think the portability is briliant and suspect the sound (in a proper system) will be better than the more expensive streamers (Linn, Naim, etc)...

That's my reasoning.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts