Linn Majik vs Naim Uniti Nova

bigmoose

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi there,

My dealer was kind enough to lend me a Naim Uniti Nova as I'm thinking about swapping with my current Linn Majik DSM & 4100 Amp. So I'm sitting here listening to both systems and liking the forward and muscular of the Naim more and more. Here's my thoughts so far:

- Naim:

My partner loves how the Naim brings artists closer to us, and makes the performance sound more intimate if that makes any sense. Although not ideal for sound, Spotify integration is appreciated and sounds surprisingly good.

On the downside, the Naim doesn't seem to be able to do "relaxed" and all sound feel more intense - Probably due to the artist feeling closer to us. Also, the app really need more work - It crashed on me few times, intermittently doesn't recognises my NAS, queues the whole album when I just want to play a song, doesn't allow me to change the order of the tracks in the queue, integration with Spotify really is clunky, and favourite selection just feels odd - Sonos really is my reference in terms of how a Music App should be done. Finally, I heard bad things about ARC which apparently only works intemittently..

Linn:

The Linn is more relaxed but somewhat colder. I think it excels at atmospheric songs (Lana Del Rey, Massive Attack) and female vocals. The App is good - Not amazing but it just works. It also remembers the last queue which is a great - I can build a queue, go away, come back later and resume to whatever I was listening to - The Naim forces me to create a playlist of that which is a bit meh. Overall, the App feels like a finished product. The HDMI port switching also works very well, and somwhow improves image quality on my TV.

On the downside, rock & dance tracks don't feel as impactful (Now that I heard the Naim). Also, Spotify sounds flat and dreadful - Is it because of Linn is more transparent or the Naim is able to mask the lower bit rate?

Would anyone have listened to both and have any thought? Did I miss anything that could change the balance for either system? I like the Naim sound, but the software makes it feel like an unfinished product.

Thanks in adavance for any input!

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I think you have just described very well the sonic differences that are often referred to with both brands. I have also tried both and much preferred the more laid back Linn sound but I will openly admit I am biased.

Whilst not wanting the labour the point or appear to be forcing my own preferences on to you I do think the speakers make a lot of difference to both. I use a set of actives with the Linn Majik that I have and that setup parties just as well as anything I have heard.

At the end of the day don't think about it too much as you will just get caught up in trying to convince yourself that one is 'better' than the other. They aren't. Just trust your ears and go with whatever sound you prefer. No right and wrong.

Enjoy whatever you decide and let us know.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It may come down to the type of music you listen to. I find the way Naim portrays Solo Piano (for example), is just not quite right.

IMO. Linn sounds refined and need not sound cool, if matched with warmer amp/speakers. eg. Arcam/Kef R Series.

You need to decide whether the more upfront presentation of Naim gets on your nerves, either on longer listening sessions, or with the volume turned up.

IMO. Linn Amps can sound cool, if not matched with warmer speakers.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
bigmoose said:
Also, the app really need more work - It crashed on me few times, intermittently doesn't recognises my NAS, queues the whole album when I just want to play a song, doesn't allow me to change the order of the tracks in the queue, integration with Spotify really is clunky, and favourite selection just feels odd - Sonos really is my reference in terms of how a Music App should be done.

You could always try running the Naim using Kinsky or Kazoo, which will certainly 'play to' the Nova. ;-)

D

Deleted member 116933

Ive never tried the linn systems nor a uniti nova but i have had the superuniti and naim uniti 2 in my listening room. And both were very different from one another.

From my point of view i would never go back to an all in one system, but i much preferred the superuniti.

Currently i have the Dac V1, nap 200dr, apple tv with a Chromecast (which is probably whats sitting more or less in the nova) for streaming duties. Esseintailly a superuniti/nova spread over 2 boxes and tiny little puck. If i want acsess to music i turn on my little Mac mini/laptop runing audiovana or again i can just use the chromecast. I feel the sound is far better than a stand alone superuniti with far greater versiltity. Giving greater scope for future upgrades ie nac 202 and hicap if i feel the need which at the moment i dont.

But if you really want a streaming solution Id be inclined too look at a there new streaming products and a Supernait 2 (more expensive) or if you have a dac/streamer just the Supernait 2 (a good deal cheaper) , Or Or a nac 272 with a nap 200 or even the nap100 ( theres plenty kicking around secound hand nap 200 that is) for not much more money. But theres no deniing the simplicty of the UNITI range.

But thats my little ramble and findings

But you both seem to love the nova and what it does, so what does it matter what we/I think i can spit ball ideas at you all day long, but if you fancy a change and you like the sound, go for it. They're incrediable well made units and really do sound great and i never have any problems with naim i suppect you won't eaither.

bigmoose

May 9, 2009
Visit site
I was also hoping Kinsky or Kazoo would detect the Naim, but unfotunately not - They do detect my Sonos which is rather cool! I can only hope Naim will improve the app.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.png

bigmoose

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks all for your input, that's really helpful!

Ultimately, since most of the tracks we are listening are dance/pop/rock, I think the Naim will win. Also my girlfriend loves the sound of the Naim which means we would both enjoy it instead of being only me... I guess the Linn takes a little bit to get into it, whereas the Naim is more approachable. Breaks my heart to let the Linn go though.

I can only hope Naim will improve the App because at the moment, it is just terrible (And I'm being polite).

One point that surprised me, Linn and Naim seem to have 2 different approaches in terms of music storage. Linn seems to prefer the use of a NAS (Hence it does not offer any USB port), whereas Naim seem to prefer USB storage.

Let me explain myself: Outside of the bug whereby my NAS is intermittently not recognized, I found it is impossible to add any of my NAS tracks as favourite! Spotify, USB or Internet radio are no problem. It is as if the Naim doesn't consider the NAS as a permanent storage and therefore doesn't offer to add any of the tracks stored there as favourite - Like it thinks the NAS might not be available next time. I would rather think the USB to be a temporary storage... Strange!

bigmoose

May 9, 2009
Visit site
It's a WD Book Live running Twonky. I also setup a media server from my Windows machine which suffers the same problem. My Linn and Sonos systems have no problem whatsoever accessing both network storage hence I'm pointing my finger atg the Naim. Hopefully, it is just a hickup from the App and will be resolved shortly. Until then, I'm happy to switch to a USB storage.

bigmoose

May 9, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
It may come down to the type of music you listen to. I find the way Naim portrays Solo Piano (for example), is just not quite right.

IMO. Linn sounds refined and need not sound cool, if matched with warmer amp/speakers. eg. Arcam/Kef R Series.

You need to decide whether the more upfront presentation of Naim gets on your nerves, either on longer listening sessions, or with the volume turned up.

IMO. Linn Amps can sound cool, if not matched with warmer speakers.

Yes, I did also find the Naim a bit tiring after prolong period of careful auditionning. However, that is not how I will be listening to the system once my choice is done, so I have no concern here.

My speakers are Tannoy DC8 which are neutral - However, they are indeed quite relaxed and I think match well with the muscular sound of the Naim. I think the Naim creates a more dynamic and approchable sound. My girlfriend is a Taiko player (Japanese drums) and the Linn probably doesn't quite convey the energy of a Taiko performance - The Naim just nails it! I would love for her to get into hifi, so I might just compromise here.

I agree, the Linn feels more "right" in terms of how instruments and artists sound - Guitars feel slightly exagerated on the Naim (I'm not an expert for pianos
embarrassed_smile.png
). Also, on possibly my favourite track, No Surprises from Radiohead, the voice from Thom Yorke just feels right on the Linn while it sounds a tad too warm on the Naim. Now, it breaks my heart to leave the Linn, but I just cannot keep this system for selective tracks.
broken_heart.png

bigmoose

May 9, 2009
Visit site
millennia_one said:
Ive never tried the linn systems nor a uniti nova but i have had the superuniti and naim uniti 2 in my listening room. And both were very different from one another.

From my point of view i would never go back to an all in one system, but i much preferred the superuniti.

Currently i have the Dac V1, nap 200dr, apple tv with a Chromecast (which is probably whats sitting more or less in the nova) for streaming duties. Esseintailly a superuniti/nova spread over 2 boxes and tiny little puck. If i want acsess to music i turn on my little Mac mini/laptop runing audiovana or again i can just use the chromecast. I feel the sound is far better than a stand alone superuniti with far greater versiltity. Giving greater scope for future upgrades ie nac 202 and hicap if i feel the need which at the moment i dont.

But if you really want a streaming solution Id be inclined too look at a there new streaming products and a Supernait 2 (more expensive) or if you have a dac/streamer just the Supernait 2 (a good deal cheaper) , Or Or a nac 272 with a nap 200 or even the nap100 ( theres plenty kicking around secound hand nap 200 that is) for not much more money. But theres no deniing the simplicty of the UNITI range.

But thats my little ramble and findings

But you both seem to love the nova and what it does, so what does it matter what we/I think i can spit ball ideas at you all day long, but if you fancy a change and you like the sound, go for it. They're incrediable well made units and really do sound great and i never have any problems with naim i suppect you won't eaither.

Thanks for this detailed post, much appreciated! Ultimately. I'm looking for a system to plug on my TV hence the choice for the DSM or Nova (Both have HDMI). It needs ot have praticality as well as great sound. But yeah, I agree, both Linn and Naim are brilliant which mkakes the choice so difficult! Either way, I'm sure I won't regret it!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
bigmoose said:
Yes, I did also find the Naim a bit tiring after prolong period of careful auditionning. However, that is not how I will be listening to the system once my choice is done, so I have no concern here.

My speakers are Tannoy DC8 which are neutral - However, they are indeed quite relaxed and I think match well with the muscular sound of the Naim. I think the Naim creates a more dynamic and approchable sound. My girlfriend is a Taiko player (Japanese drums) and the Linn probably doesn't quite convey the energy of a Taiko performance - The Naim just nails it! I would love for her to get into hifi, so I might just compromise here.

I agree, the Linn feels more "right" in terms of how instruments and artists sound - Guitars feel slightly exagerated on the Naim (I'm not an expert for pianos ). Also, on possibly my favourite track, No Surprises from Radiohead, the voice from Thom Yorke just feels right on the Linn while it sounds a tad too warm on the Naim. Now, it breaks my heart to leave the Linn, but I just cannot keep this system for selective tracks.

Luckily, both myself and Mrs. Cno prefer the Linn...so happy days.

rainsoothe

I've had similar experience as the other Naim posters, who've said that different Naim products sound different, and the only main thing they have in common is that they're great with rhythm.

I too dislike the relentlessness of some of their stuff, but there are some that don't have that issue, or ways to get around the problem (up to a certain point) - like speaker matching, cabling etc. Do try a 272 with nap 200 with Tellurium Q Black 2 speaker cable, or tell your dealer what you dislike about the Nova.

I'm glad to say..I haven't experienced this relentlesness as yet with naim kit, the naim nait xs or the Superuniti that I have owned /own ...both these products exhibit a more smooth and not very in your face presentation.....I think.lol.

Also..you should maybe ask your dealer about the nas and app issues you're having...I find the naim app quite smooth and easy to operate...although I don't bother with favourites and playlists..I use tidal or Spotify for those as I do know that playlists can't be generated locally with the app and must be done via the pc/server.

Maybe the op Should try and dem the Electrocompaniet eci-6ds. A bit more expensive than the nova but could be exactly what you're looking for.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
It will be interesting to read how Linn's latest upgrade, the Katalyst DAC and accompanying architecture influences the Linn 'sound'. From what I've read, there's a more 'up front' presentation with a less clinical edge. On their top streamer (Klimax DS/DSM), the latest update with this DAC has been likened to a top analogue (turntable) source but with all the benefits of digital; sounds to me like the perfect combination. Only drawback remains the price; the cost of a new car!!!

I will soon be upgrading my Akurate DSM streamer and will be able to feedback my impressions (Linn has a superb upgrade approach to their streamers which means that you can always have a 'nearly new' machine). Only drawback here is that the latest Katalyst DAC upgrade is not available for the Majik range and no one seems to know when or even if this will happen.

My wife and I did compare Naim and Linn streamers several years ago and we both preferred Linn. However, as Paulq states above, it's going to be down to personal taste. Paulq and Cno's comments about how to pair with other equipment are also spot on. I found that our previous set-up, including ATC speakers and Nord power amp sounded amazingly detailed, had super fast response and went ear splittingly loud without distortion but was far less engaging (musical) than our present kit. Can listen for hours these days which can become a problem when the music is just too good to switch off!

Enjoy your search and good luck.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Be a pre loved devialet d premier. Comes close to the same budget you are looking, but you'd probably have to stretch a bit more. And has hdmi as well. The AIR app is supposed to be good. Now you only have to find one on sale :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts