Strange CD player issue

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I might have a issue with my Yamaha CD2100 well it is a issue when I’ve played SACD albums where the disc is playing ok then suddenly there is a static like noise come from my speakers for a second then there is no music being played on my CD player and the clock on the Cd player has stopped or freezes but doesn’t carry on with playback .

Things I have done so far is used a cd cleaner disc which hasn’t resolved the issue but if I start the disc again it plays past the point where is froze and there are no scratches on my discs and this problem is randomly happening *scratch_one-s_head* and the strangest thing is I’ve just played two normal CDs without any issues

Is this the start of the cd mechanism going faulty or do you think there is still dust on the lens ?

I have about 6 months warranty left I think but my concern is if I send it to Yamaha repair will they discover the issue as it’s a random thing that’s happening

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I might have a issue with my Yamaha CD2100 well it is a issue when I’ve played SACD albums where the disc is playing ok then suddenly there is a static like noise come from my speakers for a second then there is no music being played on my CD player and the clock on the Cd player has stopped or freezes but doesn’t carry on with playback  .

Things I have done so far is used a cd cleaner disc which hasn’t resolved the issue but if I start the disc again it plays past the point where is froze and there are no scratches on my discs and this problem is randomly happening *scratch_one-s_head* and the strangest thing is I’ve just played two normal CDs without any issues 

Is this the start of the cd mechanism going faulty or do you think there is still dust on the lens ?

I have about 6 months warranty left I think but my concern is if I send it to Yamaha repair will they discover the issue as it’s a random thing that’s happening 

You really have been having Bad luck with your Yamaha stuff

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
I might have a issue with my Yamaha CD2100 well it is a issue when I’ve played SACD albums where the disc is playing ok then suddenly there is a static like noise come from my speakers for a second then there is no music being played on my CD player and the clock on the Cd player has stopped or freezes but doesn’t carry on with playback .

Things I have done so far is used a cd cleaner disc which hasn’t resolved the issue but if I start the disc again it plays past the point where is froze and there are no scratches on my discs and this problem is randomly happening *scratch_one-s_head* and the strangest thing is I’ve just played two normal CDs without any issues

You really have been having Bad luck with your Yamaha stuff
yes it seems like it

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Try the discs in the Oppo.
The OPPO is ok with music but nothing like the Yamaha at music as the sound is much fuller with the Yamaha even though the OPPO uses the better ESS Pro Dac it’s just not the same I have tried .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
jjbomber said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Try the discs in the Oppo.
+1

Fingers crossed it behaves the same way. And all it is, is a fussy disc.
it’s a strange one when it works ok with normal CDs ok just the SACDs it’s doing it to its very frustrating

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
gasolin said:
The hifi god want's you to upgrade
I will get it fixed if it’s faulty as I am still waiting on my Dali rubicon 8s to arrive from Denmark so do not want to spend the money I’ve got put by for them .

but if I didn’t have warranty I would still buy the same CD player again as it’s a good one it’s just bad luck I mean I used it everyday for the last 2 years

D

Deleted member 108165

insider9 said:
Can you try that SACD in the Oppo to rule out the disc?

Totally my thinking too as it could just be the SACD at fault here and nothing to do with the player itself!

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I tried 2 different sacds and it happens to both discs and both are mint no scratches or any finger prints anyway does the player have 2 lazer lens? One for playing sacds and does the player use extra processing power or just the same as conventional cd ?

insider9

I never owned SACD player so don't know what goes inside one. But I'm afraid if it's faulty that it would personally put me off buying any Yamaha gear ever again.

I know you're a big fan but it may just be that you've made an excellent choice selling AS2100.

Maybe it's a sign that you should replace it with a stand alone DAC and a transport and/or a steamer.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
I never owned SACD player so don't know what goes inside one. But I'm afraid if it's faulty that it would personally put me off buying any Yamaha gear ever again.

I know you're a big fan but it may just be that you've made an excellent choice selling AS2100.

Maybe it's a sign that you should replace it with a stand alone DAC and a transport and/or a steamer.
currently trying out the sacd in the OPPO player and playing without an issue so far and I did try the OPPO on my old 2100 and felt it didn’t sound so good as the Yamaha CD player.

But I’ve just hooked up the OPPO with the Yamaha 3000 and I must say dire straits brothers in arms sacd sounds pretty good I must say and actually on one track on that album track 2 I think I can hear the backing singers really clearly which I do not remember the Yamaha CD player making them that clear and the bass weight is a bit more deeper .

Anyway I know I have had some issues with my old amplifier and now the CD player but they both worked flawlessly for nearly 3 years and my hifi gets used every day so it’s just one of thoses things and can happen to any hifi make so I will not give up on Yamaha because I am on to a good thing I feel and I like the sound very much so I will keep going .

iI will do a streamer ones I get my new speakers but I am not given up my CDs no way I love to much

BS, what you describe is typical of cd skipping or mistracking. The laser can’t follow the disc any more, due to dirt, damage, or a sticky laser arm. That’s why the counter freezes. The “static” is the digital muting not quite working. (You even hear ticking noises on radio stations that play CDs sometimes.) It is likely to be worst at the end, as that’s the outside of the cd where any tiny wobbles are harder to follow

If the Oppo plays it, regardless of sound quality subtleties, then it’s the Yamaha. It might be having a bad day, but unless it rights itself, there may be an alignment or service needed.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
nopiano said:
BS, what you describe is typical of cd skipping or mistracking. The laser can’t follow the disc any more, due to dirt, damage, or a sticky laser arm. That’s why the counter freezes. The “static” is the digital muting not quite working. (You even hear ticking noises on radio stations that play CDs sometimes.) It is likely to be worst at the end, as that’s the outside of the cd where any tiny wobbles are harder to follow

If the Oppo plays it, regardless of sound quality subtleties, then it’s the Yamaha. It might be having a bad day, but unless it rights itself, there may be an alignment or service needed.
ok thanks for the info I will phone Yamaha up tomorrow and find out what to do as the only thing I can do is stick a cd cleaner disc in the player but this is the first time I’ve had to use one on it since I’ve ownd the Yamaha CD player

Like I’ve said in the above posts my CDs are clean and without scratches on them so I cannot see a reason why my player would freeze but it doesn’t skip it just freezes and the clock stops .

but if I press the next track it will play the next song and it’s a random thing as well and I also get a white noise lasts about a second before it freezes

and ive tried unplugging the CD player as well to see if this does anything but apart from the things I’ve tried I am not sure what else I can do apart from taking the lid off but that will just void my warranty .

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Yep you don't want to take the lid off if it's still under warranty. Let fixing it be someone else's problem. You said it happens with various SACD discs, so hopefully the technician will be able to replicate the error. Assuming they have such a disc. Never seen one for sale in my life.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
A push in the direction of digital storage options.
Say goodbye to skipping/mechanical drives getting in the way. Change to a new cd in a split second.
Shuffle genre/artists/playlists
However you desire.

You'll never regret it I assure you.
I even predict you'll be raving about it for months after

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Good news !

My CD player isn’t broken I’ve just phoned Yamaha up and they said it needs a firmware update one for the processing chip and one for the mechanism

I didn’t no you could update the firmware on a CD player it’s news to me but only a dealer service centre can do this update which is a pain but still great news .

So spoken to the dealer who I brought the CD player from and he said he will update the CD player for me but one of the firmware updates needs the CD player to be connected to a pc to do this so I will have to leave the player with him but when I told him about the problem and I said I think it’s faulty he said no it isn’t it needs updating .

And I also found out you can update the firmware on my Yamaha A-S3000 as well that surprise me but can’t understand why you can’t do this your self but only a service centre can do these updates .

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Good news ! 

My CD player isn’t broken I’ve just phoned Yamaha up and they said it needs a firmware update one for the processing chip and one for the mechanism 

I didn’t no you could update the firmware on a CD player it’s news to me but only a dealer service centre can do this update which is a pain but still great news  .

So spoken to the dealer who I brought the CD player from and he said he will update the CD player for me but one of the firmware updates needs the CD player to be connected to a pc to do this so I will have to leave the player with him but when I told him about the problem and I said I think it’s faulty he said no it isn’t it needs updating .

And I also found out you can update the firmware on my Yamaha A-S3000 as well that surprise me but can’t understand why you can’t do this your self but only a service centre can do these updates .

At the same time because I'd be pissed if I couldn't do my own firmware updates and had to take it in.

But I'm glad your unit is not damaged bs

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Good news !

I didn’t no you could update the firmware on a CD player it’s news to me but only a dealer service centre can do this update which is a pain but still great news .

At the same time because I'd be pissed if I couldn't do my own firmware updates and had to take it in.

But I'm glad your unit is not damaged bs
well I didn’t understand that one myself because it would of been easier to do it myself but I did look around the internet to see if the software was on there but can’t find it anywhere .

you have to be a engineer Andrew theses days to do things like firmware updates just in case I might hurt myself with my CD player *crazy* health and safety gone made

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
A push in the direction of digital storage options.
Say goodbye to skipping/mechanical drives getting in the way. Change to a new cd in a split second.
Shuffle genre/artists/playlists
However you desire.

You'll never regret it I assure you.
I even predict you'll be raving about it for months after

+1 :)

insider9

But share the sentiment. Don't know why they would either need firmware update nor why you can't do it yourself if it's necessary.

I performed firmware update on my Hegel a while ago. Thougut that's fair enough as it has network capabilities. Everything via LAN from a laptop. Very easy to do. Yamaha WXC-50 could be done over network or USB stick. I'm not sure why they wouldn't allow at least a service USB on the back for this reason.

But great news there's nothing to worry about.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
But share the sentiment. Don't know why they would either need firmware update nor why you can't do it yourself if it's necessary.

I performed firmware update on my Hegel a while ago. Thougut that's fair enough as it has network capabilities. Everything via LAN from a laptop. Very easy to do. Yamaha WXC-50 could be done over network or USB stick. I'm not sure why they wouldn't allow at least a service USB on the back for this reason.

But great news there's nothing to worry about.
for some reason each component inside the CD player has firmware and when I explained over the phone what the CD player was doing he said straight away it needs a firmware update *shok* I thought what ? I even phoned Yamaha service centre up and they said the same thing .

but the service centre did say that the player only needs the firmware update because of the problem with sacd playback issue and normally if there is no issues they do not update them only when there is a problem so what ever software that Yamaha put on theses players from the factory is normally ok but Yamaha release new versions of firmware now and again on the high end CD players only but jo public do not get to do there own firmware updates because sometimes they are not needed so the Yamaha service centres do the firmware when the product comes in with a problem they check the firmware .

Anyway I will be taking it tomorrow

iMark

Blacksabbath25 said:
but the service centre did say that the player only needs the firmware update because of the problem with sacd playback issue and normally if there is no issues they do not update them only when there is a problem so what ever software that Yamaha put on theses players from the factory is normally ok but Yamaha release new versions of firmware now and again on the high end CD players only but jo public do not get to do there own firmware updates because sometimes they are not needed so the Yamaha service centres do the firmware when the product comes in with a problem they check the firmware .

That makes sense. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I downloaded and installed a firmware update for our Yamaha R-N602. But that was an update with extra functionality, not because there was a hardware issue.

The problem with the CD-S2100 seems a very different one. They may want you to come into a service centre to check that the problem can be solved with a firmware update and there is not another problem. It's very annoying when expensive equipment goes wrong. But at least it can be fixed. It still is a waste of time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts