Still no blinded tests

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
Audiophiles need visual clues, especially when 'reviewing' interconnects that can only ever sound identical. The same goes for amplifiers. Of course this is actually great news for hi-fi buyers on a budget.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Oldphrt said:
Audiophiles need visual clues, especially when 'reviewing' interconnects that can only ever sound identical. The same goes for amplifiers. Of course this is actually great news for hi-fi buyers on a budget.

Why is this great news for hi-fi buyers on a budget? Somebody paying over the odds for something only makes the alternative cheaper in relative terms. It does not make it actually cheaper. You understand that right?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Leeps said:
Every time I pick up a WHF, I do ask myself, "What hifi????" They should consider changing their title to reflect the contents of the magazine. How about 'Stuff'?
Of course, there is an obvious title for a companion magazine to 'Stuff'!

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Oldphrt said:

Why is this great news for hi-fi buyers on a budget? Somebody paying over the odds for something only makes the alternative cheaper in relative terms. It does not make it actually cheaper. You understand that right?

You can buy really good quality electronics cheaper than ever before. and whatever interconnects you choose you know they will sound just as good as any others. This is great for those that don't have pots of loot.

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I am always a bit put off when a reviewer starts the review with lines like " I have always been a big fan of such and such brand" or " I have been eagerly awaiting the arrival of this component for review" or even when they say " such and such (usually dealer, importer and /or friend) has sent me this over for review saying I really must hear it" I feel these reviews are often coloured by the reviewers perceptions and expectations before they have even plugged the thing in..... Needless to say they usually always end up with a very positive review... How could they not with so much anticipation?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
mond said:
I am always a bit put off when a reviewer starts the review with lines like " I have always been a big fan of such and such brand" or " I have been eagerly awaiting the arrival of this component for review"  or even when they say " such and such (usually dealer, importer and /or friend) has sent me this over for review saying I really must hear it"  I feel these reviews are often coloured by the reviewers perceptions and expectations before they have even plugged the thing in..... Needless to say they usually always end up with a very positive review... How could they not with so much anticipation?

True. HifiNews is notorious for that too. Kessler is always reviewing the same brands as are others. I guess it's natural that manufacturers 'choose' their reviewers and that they have an affiliation with the house sound. You kind of know the outcome before the end. That's not to say what they write is wrong but it would be good to get someone else's impressions on occasions.

On the other hand, if you happen to own and like the component in question it could potentially make upgrading easier based on the reviewers impressions.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi Fi World reviews end up either by summing up the product is 'outstanding' or is 'excellent'. I feel sorry for the readers since their reviews are so consistantly boring; one would have to dig into their past issues to find a review that sums up any different. Blind tests would make the reviews far more interesting with atleast different conclusions.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Leeps said:
For the record, the most recent Hifi Choice (Feb 2017, issue 420) conducts blind listening tests for their review of six amplifiers.

Stopped buying WHF ages ago. They only seem to review soundbars, bluetooth speakers and phones these days. Every time I pick up a WHF, I do ask myself, "What hifi????" They should consider changing their title to reflect the contents of the magazine. How about 'Stuff'?

I hate to say, "I told you so" but look at the March issue released today.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I blame it on all this 'Streaming' nonsense. Reviews now are on items such as apps, smartphones, tidal, airplay, docks, tv's, earphones. What HiFi should change its name to What Gadgets - yuuuuch..!

manicm

Romulus said:
I blame it on all this 'Streaming' nonsense. Reviews now are on items such as apps, smartphones, tidal, airplay, docks, tv's, earphones. What HiFi should change its name to What Gadgets - yuuuuch..!
Strictly speaking modern hifi is gadgets. And you aware Linn, for example, ONLY does streaming now? It's just the nature of the beast. WHF could happily change its name to What Gadgets, but since their focus is still on audio - if you read their smartphone reviews you'll glean that. If I have the time, I enjoy all the hifi rags i.e. WHF, Hifi News etc. They're all good to me.

I find most of the criticisms here nitpicking.

As for blind testing - my opinion is that expectation bias is impossible to eradicate, let me explain:

Let's say a reviewer brings in a budget speaker like B&W 685s2. He then asks 2 or so other reviewers to blind test it. They may love or loathe it. Then, for a fair rating, the knowing reviewer has to reveal the price of the speaker. then ultimately the make of the product.

So are you absolutely sure subjectivity won't creep in at the final rating point?

manicm

chebby said:
*preved*

manicm said:
And you aware Linn, for example, ONLY does streaming now?

https://www.linn.co.uk/hifi-separates/turntables
A stylus still streams across the record.
tounge_smile.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
I was invited to review stereo speakers/amps. And yes, it was a blind test: They had a curtain over the said amps: Roksan Kandy K2, Cyrus 8VS2... and they tested two speakers: Ruark Sabre IIIs and ATC SCM11s.

And yes (again), we all could tell the difference.
Agreed. I'll confidently take that test :)

davidf said:
plastic penguin said:
I was invited to review stereo speakers/amps. And yes, it was a blind test: They had a curtain over the said amps: Roksan Kandy K2, Cyrus 8VS2[/b]... and they tested two speakers: Ruark Sabre IIIs and ATC SCM11s[/b].

Agreed. I'll confidently take that test :)

I'm sure they would ablige. *biggrin*

woodbino said:
When will we ever get tests of hi-fi systems blinded?

I bet the reviewers Whathifi wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 500 quid unit and a 15000 quid unit.

Really, don't we want to know what sounds best, regardless of the price?

Sorry to defecate on your chips, but back in 2009/10 What Hi-fi had a 'Big Question', where they invited 3 people each month to their Teddington HQ to review 2-channel/multi-channel/TVs etc.

I was invited to review stereo speakers/amps. And yes, it was a blind test: They had a curtain over the said amps: Roksan Kandy K2, Cyrus 8VS2... and they tested two speakers: Ruark Sabre IIIs and ATC SCM11s.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
woodbino said:

I bet the reviewers Whathifi wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 500 quid unit and a 15000 quid unit.

Sorry to defecate on your chips, but back in 2009/10 What Hi-fi had a 'Big Question', where they invited 3 people each month to their Teddington HQ to review 2-channel/multi-channel/TVs etc.

Telling the difference is different from saying which sounds best, and which is more expensive. Moreover what was the purpose of the test.

How was the match making done? Obviously the better Speakers will sound best if driven properly by any amp.

Things are even more competitively priced compared to 7yrs ago. Do the same test now you will struggle to distinguish which is which or sounds better. Of course all things being equal.

Native_bon said:
plastic penguin said:
woodbino said:

Sorry to defecate on your chips, but back in 2009/10 What Hi-fi had a 'Big Question', where they invited 3 people each month to their Teddington HQ to review 2-channel/multi-channel/TVs etc.

Telling the difference is different from saying which sounds best, and which is more expensive. Moreover what was the purpose of the test.

How was the match making done? Obviously the better Speakers will sound best if driven properly by any amp.

Things are even more competitively priced compared to 7yrs ago. Do the same test now you will struggle to distinguish which is which or sounds better. Of course all things being equal.

Good grief!

The OP was having a 'pop' at What hi-fi for not having blind tests? right or wrong? So I just pointed out that they do have blind tests (can't see why they don't now, and how would you know?)

You're wrong! if you get two price compatible speakers on 2017, as they were back in 2009, how is that different? I'm not comparing - or even suggesting - a 2009 speaker or amp with a good quality current model. I'm only suggesting that blind tests have been done. And as far as I know they could be today.

FWIW, I personally loved the Ruarks with K2, however, in terms of an instant impact the Cyrus and ATCs won the day.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts