Question StereoKnight Lancelot S40

Aasbakk

Nov 26, 2023
Visit site
Happy owner of a StereoKnight Lancelot S40. It’s a magnificent amp to me 😊
But I can’t find any information about it. I’ve searched the web (a lot), but all I’ve found is a thread at audiogon.com.
I would love to know some more specifications
Anyone who can help?
Lancelot S40 – stort.png

Happy owner of a StereoKnight Lancelot S40. It’s a magnificent amp to me 😊
But I can’t find any information about it. I’ve searched the web (a lot), but all I’ve found is a thread at audiogon.com.
I would love to know some more specifications
Anyone who can help?
View attachment 5602
Have you tried contacting the manufacturers, I know they are in China but it's a place to start.
Search for StereoNight or James Zhang

Reactions: Aasbakk

Aasbakk

Nov 26, 2023
Visit site
American based designer and made in China as far as I am aware.
Where did you get yours from, and perhaps more to the point, why did you buy one if you don't have any information regarding it's specification???
Thanks for answering, but question to my question doesn’t help me much.

Oxfordian

Thanks for answering, but question to my question doesn’t help me much.
You posed questions on this same amp back in June 2022 on another forum where you had a partial response, I have the same questions as @Al ears asked you bought it didn't you know or find out the spec before handing over the cash, also didn't the amp come with any paperwork?

I appreciate that you want answers not questions but with respect you bought the amp, and from reading your posts elsewhere you really like it so do the actual specs matter?

You posed questions on this same amp back in June 2022 on another forum where you had a partial response, I have the same questions as @Al ears asked you bought it didn't you know or find out the spec before handing over the cash, also didn't the amp come with any paperwork?

I appreciate that you want answers not questions but with respect you bought the amp, and from reading your posts elsewhere you really like it so do the actual specs matter?
Thanks for this information, I do not frequent any other forums so was not aware of this.

Reactions: Oxfordian

Oxfordian

Thanks for this information, I do not frequent any other forums so was not aware of this.
To be honest nor do I, but in the spirit of trying to help I did use Google to see what could be found on the amp in question, there were only a handful of responses, one of which was this thread and a similar thread on this other forum, that is where I saw the same person ask the same question.

There is clearly no info out there in Google world but the questions remain why spend your cash on a product that you know absolutely nothing about.

Bizarre.

Aasbakk

Nov 26, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for all responses 😊
I managed at last to find some info.
So I will share it. This info was from stereoknight.com

StereoKnight Lancelot S40
Specifications
  • Tubes: 2 X 12AU7 4 X 6922 4 X KT88
  • Power output: 2×45W (8Ω ULTRALINEAR); 2x 80W (4Ω ULTRALINEAR)
  • Input: 4 x RCA
  • Frequency response: 10Hz~60kHz
  • THD: 1%(1kHz)
  • Input sensitivity: 180 mV
  • Input impedance: 50 KΩ
  • Output impedance: 8Ω, 4Ω
  • S/N ratio: > 88dB
  • Dimensions: 450×430×240mm
  • Weight: 34Kg
  • Power consumption: 550W
The S-40 Integrated Amplifier is designed for those who seek the simplicity of a single chassis system with which the performance and the beauty of appearance are combined perfectly. 40 watts (8Ω)or 70W (4Ω) per channel is not a power monster, but heavy duty monster output transformer used in this unit makes it a great exception among mid power peers. The net weight of the unit is over 80 lb, most of which come from enhanced StereoKnight output transformer.

The S-40 looks pretty, modern, but built sturdy like a new age tank. With the enhanced transformer heart, it is capable of driving a wide range of loudspeakers. The sonic characteristic is crystal transparent, musical 3-D sound, and solid bass support.

Tubes in S-40

12AU7 is used for first stage amplifying and 6922 tubes for second stage. Both tubes are popular small tubes that have plenty of stock in the market at low cost. KT88 or 6550 are used for power amplifying. We favor the KT88 or 6550 not only due to its superior reliability nature, but also becaue we are so confident of making high power output tubes like KT88/6550 to deliver dynamic sound with most SET characteristic by applying zero negative feedback technology in high power pushpull frame. ZERO-NEGATIVE-FEEDBACK concept and technology are fully applied in both preamp and poweramp stages in S-40's design and engineering. This unique feature brings single ended class A only sonic characteristic to S-40's push-pull based nature.
Technology & parts

MOSFET technology is used to stabilize voltage most precisely, which offers faster rectification, and has the ability to address a much higher capacitance than the older tube rectifiers. Tube rectifiers are designed to handle only 50 microfarads (mf) at maximum, while MOSFET rectifiers can handle capacitances greater than 4000 mf. MOSFET also offer far better reliability and don't age as quickly as tube rectifiers. Tube rectifiers age and eventually short out the power supply cap, which is an expensive repair. It can also help to reduce electro-magnetic noise ( dead silent background) and operate unit more stably and reliably.

Actually, all components and each measurement which may improve sound performance or enhance the reliability of the unit will be under careful consideration. StereoKnight do design and manufacturing all from picky and ambitious audiophiles’ view. For example, most wires connecting parts inside chassis were covered by TEFLON tube --- (Teflon insulated wire is more suited to the higher working voltages. High voltages run on separate wires avoid copper crystallization (whiskers, due to high voltage) --- between layers of fiberglass when high voltage is run on PC board traces. Teflon wire also has better thermic stability and can withstand higher current for a short time).

In addition, some wires were hand made by compositing several kinds of selected enameled wires in proportion. We also widely used Japan made POCC rectangular solid core copper wire as the wire inside the unit for passing the signal, which is usually used by big brand to make high cost interconnect cables.

The following are some feature highlights:
  • High quality and heavy duty StereoKnight power supply components, output and power transformers.
  • High end components (Nichicon and Hovland capacitor), parts (StereoKnight designed heavy duty gold-plated binding post) and wire (TEFLON insulated wire and Japan made POCC rectangular solid core copper wire) all the way.
  • ZERO-NEGATIVE-FEEDBACK in both preamp and power amp stages.
  • Relay switching resistance volume and mute control technology with custom remotewand–high cost but least damage to sound, and reliable.
  • MOSFET voltage stabilization.
  • All-tube full preamp line stage
  • High control power, capable of driving a wide range of loudspeakers.
  • Easily accessible individual output tube bias measurement and adjustment points on side chassis.
  • Detachable IEC power cord, high quality gold-plated StereoKnight custom binding posts and RCA jacks.
  • Full high quality aluminum alloy body construction, modern style curvaceous faceplate and acrylic enclosure cover design: sturdy built with art.
And do not forget modern style appearance designed by StereoKnight, full armed with high quality aluminum alloy faceplate, chassis and acrylic, the art of metal and crystal.

SIMPLE, BEAUTIFUL, RELIABLE is the compact oath StereoKnight born for. With 18-MONTH WARRANTY, the S-40 will give you lasting value and listening pleasure for years to come.

Aasbakk

Nov 26, 2023
Visit site
I replaced the two stock ecc82 with NOS Siemens tubes. That made quite a difference to the better.
Right now the power tubes are quad matched 6550 Svetlana Winged C. Plans on getting back to KT88.
The four 6922 tubes haven’t been replaced I think

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts