Stereo speaker cable length...

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I have looked over previous posts on this topic and can't seem to find a definitive answer - particularly to stereo speaker set-ups.

I am connecting up a pair of on wall stereo speakers in my kitchen (so not critical listening - but I still want it to sound as good as possible). The amp will be located close to one of the speakers, so in terms of speaker cable lengths, the nearest speaker will need about 1 1/2 ft of cable, and the other will require about 10ft.

Is this likely to cause any audible problems with the sound - such as a timing issue with the different durations it takes the signal to travel down the different lengths to the speaker.

I know the signal is electrical and is therefore travelling incredibly fast, but I just wondered if there was any merit in buying an additional length of cable to ensure they are the same length?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
It will not be anything to do with the time taken for the signal to 'travel' the different distances. Differences in length would have to be enormous for that to be a problem!

The problem might be with the inductance, resistance and capacitance of the shortest length in this case (1.5 feet) and not the fact they are just diffferent lengths.

If you had said (for example) 10 feet and 15 feet then there wouldn't be a problem, but I would check with your amplifier manufacturer about their recommended minimum length of speaker cables first.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Singslinger:Agree with Chebby. In some cases, using different lengths of speaker cable might damage the amplifier.

I only have a question mark about the very short (18 inch) run on one channel.

Some amps are designed to be 'presented' with a minimum level of impedance/capacitance/resistance between speaker and amp, and I was just thinking that 18 inches might be pushing it a bit. I don't actually think the difference in lengths matters that much so long as both are at least the minimum length the amplifier manufacturer recommends.

scene

Yes, I believe Naim are one of those manufacturers - IIRC they required 3-4m mininum of suitable speaker cable for the Nait 3 to give the minimum required capacitance required for the power amp. In fact, I seem to remember reading they actuall optimise their amps for 3.5-10m cable lengths.

Different lengths for each speaker aren't an issue though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts