Stereo Integrated Amp with Digital In - which one is Cheapest?

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi - I am trying to set up an entry level system for a friend of mine with minimum dent on the pocket but sounding good enuf at the price point. The prime focus is to listen to music

She has a Mac and so Optical Digital Out is the source. I am giving her my B&W 601S3 which will work out alright for time being. The missing link is the integrated Amp and I am trying to avoid many boxes with an entry level Amp having a Digital In.

Please suggest me the available options.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Andrew. It looks like an interesting option. She is willing to spend upto 350 pounds for the amp (which can accept digital in).

I am hoping that some manufacturer has addressed this space of entry level but only Stereo kind of market.

A

Anonymous

Maybe, but now you can have it for 210-240 pounds, new. Is it worse than Sony receiver?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Probably not, but the Onkyo is 50% more expensive, and when I suggested it I was under the impression that the budget was tight.

Frankly, if I was looking at spending a £350 budget to get an amp with digital in I'd probably be looking at something like the Cambridge Azur 340A SE or Rotel RA-04, plus an HRT Music Streamer II, which would connect via USB rather than optical, or Musical Fidelity V-DAC, which would work with either optical or USB connections.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks alot Andrew and Ediots. I should have mentioned the budget in the first place. My Bad.

To give even more complete picture - she has currently B&W Zeppelin and she is very happy with the sound and more importantly the Sound Quality + simplicity. I am not very sure if she is fine to have one more additional box coming up as a DAC and more wires running around. And that was the reason why I was thinking of a one box solution but separate speakers for her.

If there is no amp with digital in at around £350 then she has to be ok with one more box and extra interconnects. Out of curiosity, what is the entry level Digital In Integrated Stereo Amp?

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks a lot Andrew. I am sorry for too many queries here. What would be the next beyond the Onkyo you suggested? Please take your time if it is too busy at your end as I am going to set up the system over the weekend with a borrowed Denon 3300 AVR from a friend.

So we have some time!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
We'd suggest something like the Cyrus 8XPd QX (which is either a model number or a bad hand at Scrabble), but then that's well into four figures. There really aren't that many amps out there with digital inputs as standard, and you'd be best advised to think in terms of an amp and a separate DAC (which can be hidden away, as there's nothing to set or adjust on it), or an AV receiver.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Sorry Andrew for the overlook. Ok.. that Onkyo is out.

I have found another similar product from Harmon Kardon (HK3490). I have heard HK once but it was a different thing altogether (a full blown AVR)

Any one has thoughts about this Stereo Amp?

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Agree with Andrew on the Musical Fidelity V-DAC. Very discreet and easy to hide. Paired with a good quality budget amp would make a great system.

As for the next step up, take a look at the XTZ Class-A100D3 at £600 (links to various reviews on the top right).

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
Probably not, but the Onkyo is 50% more expensive, and when I suggested it I was under the impression that the budget was tight.

Frankly, if I was looking at spending a £350 budget to get an amp with digital in I'd probably be looking at something like the Cambridge Azur 340A SE or Rotel RA-04, plus an HRT Music Streamer II, which would connect via USB rather than optical, or Musical Fidelity V-DAC, which would work with either optical or USB connections.

Andrew has it spot on at this point. Amp plus USB DAC wins on all levels. I know it's another box but it's tiny and can be hidden away.
The Rotel plus HRT would blow all other suggestion out of the water. Plus Rotel usually work with B and W. Lets stop all this talk of Onkyo this and that.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
brittondave:
Andrew has it spot on at this point.

It happens. Rarely, I know, but it happens...
emotion-4.gif

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks every one. Since no inputs on Harmon Kardon, I guess I will go for the Rotel option. I was with Rotel Pre-pro and Power Amps previously and liked them very much with B&W.

Have a great weekend!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts