Stereo amp with some modern features - which one?

Lo

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
Hi all, I know there are reviews and all but I am still somewhat in the dark.

I am looking for a stereo amp where I want to be able to play from my laptop (I have one which I solely use for music). However, would plugging it in by USB work? Will I be able to use iTunes, or will the amp just see it as an external hard drive?

Another option would be streaming I guess. But I read Bluetooth is not the best way to do it. Would I then need an amp with AirPlay? Would a decent receiver work?

Which amp would you guys recommend? I want to spend around £400 and have been looking at the NAD D3020 (which doesn't really appeal to me visually) and the TEAC Al 301DA. But have no idea if I am ooking in the right place.

Thanks!

rainsoothe

Hi. For that budget, you should count dedicated streaming out, I'm affraid. The two options are Nad D3020 or Micromega MyAmp. But, if your laptop is connected, you can stream with your laptop. Or use an Airport Express digital out into the amp's digital in (not sure about this, I'm not Apple savvy). And there's software you can control with your smartphone (Jriver has it for PC, I don't know the name of the most used Apple player, but it's not iTunes). Pair either of the Nad or Micromega with Dali Zensor 3, and you should have quite a decent system imo.

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Lo said:
Hi all, I know there are reviews and all but I am still somewhat in the dark.

I am looking for a stereo amp where I want to be able to play from my laptop (I have one which I solely use for music). However, would plugging it in by USB work? Will I be able to use iTunes, or will the amp just see it as an external hard drive?

Another option would be streaming I guess. But I read Bluetooth is not the best way to do it. Would I then need an amp with AirPlay? Would a decent receiver work?

Which amp would you guys recommend? I want to spend around £400 and have been looking at the NAD D3020 (which doesn't really appeal to me visually) and the TEAC Al 301DA. But have no idea if I am ooking in the right place.

Looks like you can plug a USB from your laptop straight into the TEAC , you may have to download a driver for the TEAC or the PC/Mac may recognise it .

As for streaming an Apple Airport express costs £79 , you need to plug it into your router with an ethernet cable , then you can use either a 3.5mm to stereo phono or a optical cable to connect to the amp of your choice .

So you could use AEX at £79 , £5 ethernet cable ,£10 Optical cable and £299 Marantz PM6005 for your £400.

Good luck

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JamesMellor said:
As for streaming an Apple Airport express costs £79 , you need to plug it into your router with an ethernet cable , then you can use either a 3.5mm to stereo phono or a optical cable to connect to the amp of your choice .

So you could use AEX at £79 , £5 ethernet cable ,£10 Optical cable and £299 Marantz PM6005 for your £400.

Good luck

That's the arrangement I use for AirPlay between any of my iOS devices (or my Mac Mini) and my Quad Vena.

If I was an Android user then i'd just use the Vena's built-in aptX Bluetooth but my Apple stuff only uses standard Bluetooth so I choose AirPlay.

The Quad Vena does have the facility to plug in a standard Apple lightning - USB cable with an iPad/iPod/iPhone and stream from itunes or any other app playing on it. I just find having the device 'tethered' to the hi-fi by a cable vexing even if there might, just possibly, be a slight loss between cable and AirPlay wireless. (One i've not heard yet.)

Tethering it with a cable at least gives the advantage of charging the iOS device at the same time.

Anyway, a Quad Vena costs £599 so it's out of your budget but there must be other amps that have either BT, or an Apple compatible USB input, or an optical input for Airport Express, or the whole lot - including built-in AirPlay and a tuner - like the Yamaha R-N500 ...

http://www.richersounds.com/product/amplifiers-receivers/yamaha/rn500/yama-rn500-blk

Yeah, in fact get that one. It does everything and will give you £100 change from your budget with no extra boxes needed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts