Stereo Amp instead of AV Amp?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I currently have a Sharp LED (Edge backlit) TV, Sharp Blu Ray Player and Humax Freesat 320GB satellite receiver in the lounge connected to a Sharp Sound Bar. In the same lounge I have some B&W wall-mounted speakers connected to my Hi Fi system in the adjacent dining room. What I would like to do is discontinue the Sharp Soundbar, purchase a Yamaha AS500 stereo amplifier and hook it up to the TV system so I can have sound coming out of the B&W speakers. That's it in a nut shell.

Question is, are there any major configuarion obstacles when integrating a stero amp into an AV system like this? Is lip-syn likely to be an issue? If anyone else has gone down this route, how is it best wired up for maximum audio sound? Or is this not a good idea at all . . . .

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I can't see anything wrong with your proposal as long as all your sources have analogue stereo outputs. The Blu-ray should do, but if your TV is new it may only have an optical out for audio. Even this shouldn't pose too much of a problem as you can pick up one of those titchy DACs for about forty quid (can't recall the name, it's something like CYP).

cheyworth

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Assuming that the speakers are either side of the TV it will be fine, watching TV with the sound comming from a different location can be very confusing. unless you are only using the speakers for TV/radio music.

Chris

A

Anonymous

Hi PK. Yes, definitely a good idea. I did a similar thing with different equipment and found lip-sync was a problem when using the DVD player with analogue inputs and outputs. The cure was to use an optical connection from the DVD player to the amplifier. My amplifier did not have any optical inputs so I purchased an optical to RCA converter and an optical interconnect. This works really well and was the best solution for me. An A to D converter of the type suggested by Big Chris will also work well.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the swift response. All the units have red and white audio inputs which I assume are your analogue inputs. Optical cables are something I haven't needed to think about bearing in mind my Hi Fi dates back to the late 1980's early 1990's (PT TOO / Orion I, Kiseki Blue Goldspot : Magnum Pre Power Amp., Micromega Stage 1 CD and Gale 402 speakers).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts