State of the music industry and sound quality... rant... participation encouraged

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 108165

Wishful thinking Doug.
But I think that, like Covid, it might always be with us in some form or other.
Agreed, I highly doubt this, but If it can morph into something like The Stranglers and some other punk bands then great. Then again I really liked The Stranglers punk output, can't think of any rap or hip hop I actually would listen to more than once, if at all.

Reactions: Gray and Oxfordian

insider9

Agreed, I highly doubt this, but If it can morph into something like The Stranglers and some other punk bands then great. Then again I really liked The Stranglers punk output, can't think of any rap or hip hop I actually would listen to more than once, if at all.
The thing about Punk was that it was a movement. Unique in everything from ideology, music to fashion. It wasn't trying to be anything that was before. So whether you like it or not credit where it's due as it was a movement that spawned many concepts in and outside music. Massive influence of everything that came during and after.

Most of what we get nowadays at least in the charts is a repetition of things past. There's very little unique about it and that's where the problem lies.

Where you can clearly define decades of 20th century when it comes to sound (e.g. 70's smooth, 80's bright) and signature (70's sophisticated, 80's simpler). Two decades into 21st century all we've had that's unique is overuse of samples and autotune, leading to rap prevalence.

DCarmi

As a wannabe cool dude (who had no chance of being one) I remember my father asking what that rubbish was I was listening to and could I turn that G*d awful racket down. He never appreciated the Stranglers.

Reactions: Oxfordian

Oxfordian

Most of what we get nowadays at least in the charts is a repetition of things past. There's very little unique about it and that's where the problem lies.

Is this because a lot musicians are struggling to get them selves heard over the ‘ideal’ sugar coated candy rubbish that is force fed to us at the moment?

Whilst a few good musician are getting heard it is nowhere near enough, too many nonentities promoted because of looks not ability, or am I being harsh?

insider9

Is this because a lot musicians are struggling to get them selves heard over the ‘ideal’ sugar coated candy rubbish that is force fed to us at the moment?

Whilst a few good musician are getting heard it is nowhere near enough, too many nonentities promoted because of looks not ability, or am I being harsh?
I don't think you're being particularly harsh, no. But the issue isn't with these young people being taken advantage of but the industry protecting its own interests.

Sad truth is that so many of these artist have a brief glimpse of fame but they rarely see a dime. Labels writing all their tracks. Then life gets serious and they know it's time to get a serious job. Why we don't hear from them again.

The dawn of services like Bandcamp and SoundCloud is particularly encouraging to get us out of this rut. But it will take time for places like that to compete with the likes of iTunes and taking on big labels.

insider9

Appears that the youngsters like what we loathe:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-56749586

Though I wasn't really into Punk it was good whilst it lasted but surely everything has a limited lifespan, I really hope rap and hip hop's days are numbered :)
Probably worth adding. I don't get on with Rap and Hip Hop but don't have a problem with rapping.

When it's done right it's great. Recent examples include Janelle Monae, FKA Twigs, Doja Cat and quite a few more.

But listening to the same loop for 3 minutes with a young dude boasting about his "enter expletives here" is just not going to cut it.

AJM1981

Mar 26, 2021
Visit site
There is this thing with top lists. The weekly list of a Top 40 in a random year always sucks with perhaps a few exceptions. Even the great bands delivered some junk from time to time.

Then if one compiles a best of that year hits it is kind of ok. And once in a while there is something decent in between those compilations.

In my opinion the quality of the dance hits has improved a lot over the past decades. I liked the 90s because I grew up in it but I have never really looked back at those dozens of "B" -productions that had the TR909 in 4/4 kick drum in it with all those plastic synth sounds. I liked it in those days because whole subcultures lived through it, but since that is long gone most music on its own doesn't hold up well. To "kind of re-enjoy that stuff" I would perhaps get the crappiest of boom box with cassettes.

Comparing it with modern pop hits like Despacito and similar ones with rhythm guitar, subtle grooving electronical drums with a shuffle and sweeping bass. That is really dynamic hifi suitable stuff and I think it this generation is not having the worst of it.

Reactions: Oxfordian

Gray

I got to see many of the Punk acts when I worked at the Top Rank Brighton. They often brought their own sound / lights, but as House Engineer it was (supposed to be) my job to supervise (which meant showing roadies where to get big power, then watching sound check / full show).
The Stranglers came (and left behind a bit of damage) but I only really grew to appreciate their music in later years.

Gray

As ranting was encouraged, here goes.
This 2CD contains my sort of music, some great tracks on it.
But the cover picture bears no relation to the music whatsoever:
OK, cover art doesn't have to be relevant to the content, but my problem here, is entirely down the misguided marketing.
They no doubt intended to target a young, 'cool' market by depicting such an aggressive looking **** on the cover. They'd probably call it 'attitude', but it couldn't be more inappropriate.
I've never been able to bear looking at it - I've covered his face on the physical CD and painted it out on my ripped album art.
I'd say, such attitude has a lot to answer for today, not just with the state of music.

D

Deleted member 108165

To be honest with you Gray that cover art would have stopped me buying it, albums must have a decent cover :)

Reactions: Gray

Gray

To be honest with you Gray that cover art would have stopped me buying it, albums must have a decent cover :)
Pleased to say I didn't buy it Doug, it was a radio prize. Didn't know what it looked like (but grateful for the music).
To be honest, I'm not too fussed about album art - my customised Foobar screen for example, has the cover as one of the smaller areas, with priority given to library and playlists.
But that cover is uniquely horrible. As Mark Lamar once said, "He's got a face only a fist could love".

Reactions: Friesiansam

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
I listened to US Top 100 yesterday. 331 minutes of music in about an hour. In fairness UK Top 40 I listened to a couple of weeks ago took me longer to listen to. Yesterday when I finished listening I felt really depressed.

I won't lie I had to skip a fair number of tracks. I'm not exactly a music snob but grunting in a first couple of seconds, as if you're constipated isn't a good sign for me. I made a lot of effort in the past to get into Rap and Hip Hop and it's fair to say 90% of it isn't for me.

A few observations I would like to share. Production values of new music and sound quality is for most part incredible. I guess it's there to make up for lack of emotion which may work for some, but it's not for me. Loops and beats and samples are ever present and rapping is the name of the game for most part, again not my thing. Most songs sadly sound the same. Very few actual instruments are being used. Thank you Taylor Swift for still playing guitar (even though I don't dig your last album)!

Lyrically it is a graveyard. If you can be offensive and use words like B*tch, P*ssy, N*gga apparently get you a bump in streams. I'm not against swearing but normalising use of such language and then complaining how others are sexist/racist/objectifying women is not on.

Very few songs deserve a mention but I will include a few. Olivia Rodrigo "Drivers Licence" 👍 Songs by Dua Lipa, Doja Cat, The Weekend (apologies don't remember titles) 👍

Sonic Silk "Leave the Door Open" 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍 Major exception to the rule and light at the end of a tunnel. Masterfully written and delivered cheesy 70's style pop track (Earth, Wind and Fire anyone?)

Please don't misunderstand my rant as a rant against new music. There's lots of good new music coming out. Sound quality of which varies, especially compared to charts. Nevertheless it is good music. But most never makes it into charts.

The big question is this where does it leave us and the music industry? When most people are happy to listen to the same chord progressions as long as there is lots of ear candy (seriously some of the tracks sound like they've been written by people with ADHD). When mediocrity sells so well. The big bugbear of mine is the fact these chart topping songs sound sooooo good. But you really don't want to listen to them again. Well, not most of them.

Have you got any thoughts on the subject?
The modern popular music industry is Satanic and makes Les and less of a secret about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS