Starting from scratch

Q Bass

Sep 5, 2007
Visit site
Hello again

Right well my Marantz PM-57 (very poor), TEAC 5 CD changer and MS 906i’s off on ebay later so I’m starting over again for my second system

My primary system which consists of Rotel pre and power amp, Nakamichi CD player and B&W floorstanding speakers is great with plenty of power and thumping bass

Now what I need is a system that does something similar but as this is my second system it has to be cheaper lol

This time I’m going to purchase a 1 make system as I hate having loads of different remotes on my bedside table

So what system would you recommend for someone who likes their music with a hefty punch to it? Would standmounts be better with a sub or should I buy more floorstanding speakers?

I have to keep to around £600

Any help would be great as I’m not very good at this – well I did buy the PM-57 so please save me from making another school boy error

A

Anonymous

i was just about to recommend some nad stuff and b&w speakers which served me well for many years!

A

Anonymous

A mini all in one from Sony/JVC/Panasonic. Oh they do bass alright, certainly not audiophile, but they go very loud too - and with all those tacky EQs and "power tubes", they are a right laugh.

Otherwise, I would go for the system listed above - it will do quite low bass, but nothing of this price will be sub-30hz stuff. That said, you could always get an REL Quake to go with any system - that will give it a big boost...

A

Anonymous

The nad and monitor audio combination should work pretty nicely. Maybe you should be keeping those ms906, i would imagine they would give more bass than the monitor audio and would save you money allowing for slighly better amp and cd player

Q Bass

Sep 5, 2007
Visit site
Hmm maybe your right about the MS 906i's but I think due to the small size of the woofers they can't produce the bass - maybe the mini system is the way to go I mean it's cheaper but they won't have great sound quality

Quite a few things to think about

A

Anonymous

a mini system definatly isnt the way to go, i cant believe someone even suggested that on here, it must of been a joke.

Im pretty sure the 906's partnered with the right amp and cd player should provide pretty good bass. i think the size of the cones on them is on par with the size of most cones on speakers which would fit into your price bracket

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="matt444_2000"]a mini system definatly isnt the way to go, i cant believe someone even suggested that on here, it must of been a joke.[/quote]

There's a number of decent mini systems - the Solo Mini and the Onkyo CS-515 being two good examples.

A

Anonymous

i never had a problem with bass when it came to my MS906i's - you have to position the carefully (ie. try them nearish a rear wall) but the results are pleasing in the bass department (speaker size considering). that woofer/mid driver may not be very big width ways but it is very deep and quite heavy which is useful for bass reproduction.

Q Bass

Sep 5, 2007
Visit site
Thank you for your input - it's just the 906i's sounded great in the mid to highs but when I turned up the volume it sounded like they were bust (I don't know how to describe it) I think they might be broken

I really love the look of them and don't want to get rid - maybe I'll test them with a different amp before making up my mind but the other components are going that's for sure

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Q Bass"]

I did buy the PM-57 so please save me from making another school boy error

[/quote]

Be glad you never owned the Marantz CD4000.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Q Bass"]
Thank you for your input - it's just the 906i's sounded great in the mid to highs but when I turned up the volume it sounded like they were bust (I don't know how to describe it) I think they might be broken
[/quote]
i think you might be right there - that definately sounds like there is a fault with the speakers. are they still under warranty?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="professorhat"][quote user="matt444_2000"]a mini system definatly isnt the way to go, i cant believe someone even suggested that on here, it must of been a joke.[/quote]
There's a number of decent mini systems - the Solo Mini and the Onkyo CS-515 being two good examples.

[/quote]

sure there is some good ones, but someone mentioned getting a jvc or sony because they do bass and have equalizers. whilst proper kit like the nads and monitor audio was being suggested

A

Anonymous

Someone has got a cyrus 6 amp cyrus 6 cd player on buy it nows for £260 and £299 now. Could prove a nice package inside your budget. Probably about £1200 originally.

Wouldnt mind buying it myself

Q Bass

Sep 5, 2007
Visit site
Hi

They do have some warranty left from RS so I think they are going back - will they fix/replace them or will they put up a fight about it?

Cheers

A

Anonymous

hi, normally RS are very good in the customer service department - especially with Brands they like MS and CA. they wouldnt risk getting a bad reputation haggling about a warranty claim for a 120 quid pair of speakers. if they cant get them repaired they will be replaced. i would suggest you ask for a loan pair of speakers whilst they carry out the repair/replacement - you never know your luck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts