Starting again

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
Some of you may remember several months ago I posted on here about my partner of 23 years refusing to have my hi-fi back in the living room after redecorating, I was quite happy to get smaller speakers but I will not give up my love of music which I had long before I met her, I have now given up on asking to put the hi-fi back and its for sale on ebay as I am planning on leaving her in May / June and decided once I have my own place I will treat myself to a complete new setup which is where I would like some advise please, my budget will be £2,000 and I need to get a DAB tuner, CD player and of course an amp and speakers, the DAB is quite easy as there are not that many but I like the Rotel or Yamaha one, but I am finding it hard to choose which amp / CD althought I like the look of some of the NAD's and Rotel's for the speakers I was thinking Monitor Audio Bronze 2 or Dynaudio M20, I have a wide range of music from Queen, Stereophonics to chart stuff although my favourite is female volcals like Rumer, Lana Del Ray, Lorde etc. Any adivise on what to try please.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I'm sure you'll get many suggestions, most will probably be good, you'll have to listen for yourself

If you get the MA speakers, that 300 pounds (give or take), say 150 for a dab, that 450, do yourself a favour and buy decent stands, say 150, that leaves 1400 for a cd player and amp. I dunno, I'd probably look at something like a Cambridge audio cxa80 an the cxc transport and bank the rest

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your relationship problems 23 years is a long time .

if your set on leaving your partner you might need that £2000 ! For something else have you thought about if you stored your old hifi until you have sorted you self out ?

rainsoothe

Wait, wait, partner or relationship is 23 years old? Regardless, try to find a Naim Unitilite and mate it with Focal Aria 906. If you buy the Naim SH or ex-dem, I think that leaves you money for new speakers. Or maybe a nice dealer will make you a bundle.

Of course, try to audition for yourself.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Demo is a must.but if not I would go straight for the rega elex-r at £800 for an amp because it has everything good.you just can't beat it on price.the dynaudio emit m20 again you can't beat them for the price just amazing speakers at £600.not to sure on a CD player as this is going to be a very personal choice and you've only got £600 left.i love spending other people's money :)

jjbomber said:
kitkat said:
my budget will be £2,000 and I need to get a DAB tuner, CD player and of course an amp and speakers,

Arcam Solo Music and Tannoy DC6T SE. Reduced from £2598 to £1499 at Creative Audio.

Go audition,it might take your mind of some of it, however until you know the size of room your might encounter in new establishment we cannot really comment.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
kitkat said:
Some of you may remember several months ago I posted on here about my partner of 23 years refusing to have my hi-fi back in the living room after redecorating, I was quite happy to get smaller speakers but I will not give up my love of music which I had long before I met her, I have now given up on asking to put the hi-fi back and its for sale on ebay as I am planning on leaving her in May / June and decided once I have my own place I will treat myself to a complete new setup which is where I would like some advise please, my budget will be £2,000 and I need to get a DAB tuner, CD player and of course an amp and speakers, the DAB is quite easy as there are not that many but I like the Rotel or Yamaha one, but I am finding it hard to choose which amp / CD althought I like the look of some of the NAD's and Rotel's for the speakers I was thinking Monitor Audio Bronze 2 or Dynaudio M20, I have a wide range of music from Queen, Stereophonics to chart stuff although my favourite is female volcals like Rumer, Lana Del Ray, Lorde etc. Any adivise on what to try please. 

That's what I call having bxxxs.

Finally someone that has got his priorities right ;-)

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
kitkat said:

Planning on leaving her in 3 or 4 months?! *biggrin* Wow! That is ice cold my man.

You need something clinical, lacking warmth and completely unforgiving. Cyrus or 2nd hand Devialet partnered with something from Monitor Audio perhaps?

drummerman said:
kitkat said:

It was the 'planning to' bit that worried me. ;-) So maybe he hasn't.....

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
kitkat said:

some people plan holidays, parties and weddings - even pregnancy

so why not leaving the partner on such and such a date.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Gazzip said:
kitkat said:

Planning on leaving her in 3 or 4 months?! *biggrin* Wow! That is ice cold my man.

You need something clinical, lacking warmth and completely unforgiving. Cyrus or 2nd hand Devialet partnered with something from Monitor Audio perhaps?

I used to have a Mission Cyrus 2 - try and get a 2nd hand one - it was glacially and clinically transparent!

tonky

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
kitkat said:

some people plan holidays, parties and weddings - even pregnancy

so why not leaving the partner on such and such a date.

I don't think he will have much choice after spending £2k on his Hifi :)

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
jjbomber said:
drummerman said:

No choice anyway. Once you start being blackmailed into giving in, it doesn't stop. Far better to get out now, rather than a prolonged misery and always backing down.

You're not a marriage counsellor are you? *biggrin*

jjbomber

Gazzip said:

Only at the amateur level. No PC nonsense; just say it as it is.

Ironically I have the dead opposite problem. I brought home a Naim Uniti at £2K. My wife loved it so much she took it for her own system in the bedroom. Then she took the Focal floorstanders and gave me back my Mission 733i speakers. Now she has her eyes (and ears) on the Kef Reference speakers. I can spend what I like and do what I like. But if she likes it, then it's gone.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Gazzip said:

Only at the amateur level. No PC nonsense; just say it as it is.

Ironically I have the dead opposite problem. I brought home a Naim Uniti at £2K. My wife loved it so much she took it for her own system in the bedroom. Then she took the Focal floorstanders and gave me back my Mission 733i speakers. Now she has her eyes (and ears) on the Kef Reference speakers. I can spend what I like and do what I like. But if she likes it, then it's gone.

Some clever reverse psychology going on there. Force you to buy cheap stuff so she won't nick it.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
To the OP: go to somewhere like 7Oaks, Richer or an independent local shop. Tell them you have got £1500 to spend. Tell them all the things you need: CD / streaming / radio / speakers / etc

The leftover £500 is for the inevitable overspend!

Gazzip said:
jjbomber said:
drummerman said:

No choice anyway. Once you start being blackmailed into giving in, it doesn't stop. Far better to get out now, rather than a prolonged misery and always backing down.

One would assume not......, at least not a very successful one ;-)

wilro15 said:
To the OP: go to somewhere like 7Oaks, Richer or an independent local shop. Tell them you have got £1500 to spend. Tell them all the things you need: CD / streaming / radio / speakers / etc

The leftover £500 is for the inevitable overspend!

And cables and speaker stands that they never factor into the budget..... :)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
And if you went into a hifi shop saying i have £2000 to spend on hifi they would make sure you spend all of that £2000 too .

i have never told the shop my budget before its like when you buy a car do you tell the salesman i have £10.000 to spend on a car ... no as he will show you the £10.000 cars without evan looking at the cheaper cars

jjbomber

wilro15 said:
jjbomber said:

Some clever reverse psychology going on there. Force you to buy cheap stuff so she won't nick it.

On the contrary. I ''have'' to buy ever more expensive stuff to get mine back. I still have the two Oppo 105D players, so all is not lost. The contingency plan if I lose the Reference speakers is for a pair of Piega Contour 40.2 speakers. They are good enough for the catwalk, never mind the Living Room.

(''have'' to buy, at gunpoint, arm behind my back, frog marched in to the nearest hi-fi store!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts