Stands: Super Dreadnoughts or B&W FS700

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I plan to buy some B&W 685s, I auditioned them on those £60 ones that are supposed to be great, but I thought they were awful. So I tried the Super Dreadnoughts and the speakers sounded far better.

One thing I really don't like about the Super's is the TINY top plate, it's so small it's ridiculous, and I have noticed th`t the FS700s have a good sized top plate, which in my mind makes more sense, esp. with the deep B&W 685s, but I don't have the option of hearing the FS700s, so what do you think??

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The B&W speakers atnds are a lovely design BUT... Theyre light and dont sound very good.

In comparison to the Partingtons; theyre night and day. The Dreadnoughts are so much better and the size of the top plate doesnt really matter as the 685's arent that big. I had my B&W 602 S2's on Dreadnoughts and they were the biggest standmount speaker B&W did!

As Ray said above; decent amounts of blu-tac on the speaker stand plate holds the speakers well. Its a basic way of doing it but it works oh so well :)

A

Anonymous

If you like the Partingtons and if your handy do what I did,

Make a pair of plates up ( I used 4mm ali plate ) and bolt them on top of the small plate then you can have the top plate to suit your speakers, job done............

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
d_a_n1979:As Ray said above; decent amounts of blu-tac on the speaker stand plate holds the speakers well. Its a basic way of doing it but it works oh so well :)
It does indeed, my right 685 sits quite close to the living room door and, as you can imagine, gets knocked every now and then by myself and visitors alike - sturdy as a rock it's been though as the blu-tack has held it firm.

A

Anonymous

Okay then, thanks guys, I'll probably go with the partingtons then, even though I think the top plate is a joke!ÿ

So has anyone heard the FS700s? Or owns them?

Taÿ

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
d_a_n1979:The B&W speakers atnds are a lovely design BUT... Theyre light and dont sound very good.

In comparison to the Partingtons; theyre night and day. The Dreadnoughts are so much better and the size of the top plate doesnt really matter as the 685's arent that big. I had my B&W 602 S2's on Dreadnoughts and they were the biggest standmount speaker B&W did!

As Ray said above; decent amounts of blu-tac on the speaker stand plate holds the speakers well. Its a basic way of doing it but it works oh so well :)

I agree. My 602 S3s are bigger than the 685s, but they've been on my Partington Trophy stands for 6 years without any mishaps, and I'm a big, clumsy bas**rd.

I have my speakers sitting on the top spikes, but used 3 instead of 4 (One in the centre at the back) as they're more stable this way.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Just checked out eBay. They have some Partington 'Ultima' stands. Never heard of them before, but they look cool. Hope you've got deep pockets though, 'cos they're £300!

A

Anonymous

lol, infact my pockets are tiny student pockets! So I reckon £200 is my absolute maximum for stands :)

ÿ

thanks anywayÿ

A

Anonymous

Heres' my gripe in plan view:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3066/3078898462_75dba755ed_b.jpg

ÿTried tp put an image above but this system is rubbish (sorry)ÿ

A

Anonymous

Stands really only need to be dense and rigid. To that end they're pretty easy to make yourself if you're not picky about looks. Mine are 4" pvc pipe with hdf on either end, an AT rod with bolts on either end holds the hdf pieces tightly to the pipe and the whole affair is filled with playsand. All in about 45 bucks (25 quid).

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
TBH you DONT need to spend £200 on stands if your budget is tight...

The Atacama SE24 stands are superb and a similar size and weight to the PArtingtons; theyre mass loadable as well so make for decent stands and really help with sound improvement.

Take a nosey on eBay for some of those as well!

A

Anonymous

Audio Affair do Dreadnoughts for £150 delivered if it helps.

TRENDING THREADS