Stands for KEF KHT3005SE-W

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
After months of contemplating which 5.1 speaker package to buy, I've finally decided on the KEF package, meaning I can move my B&W 601 s3 speakers to the bedroom for use in a dedicated stereo set-up.

At least I thought I'd decided, until I investigated the speaker stand situation. As far as I know, because of their custom fixings, the KEF satellite speakers can only be mounted on KEF's own stands, which are a 1m high. This means the front two speakers would be positioned above the height of the top of my TV.

Not only would this look strange, it would mean the L&R channels would be positioned approx 70cm above the centre channel, so presumably this isn't going to help create a cohesive or convincing sound field or assist with panning effects...

I can't drill into walls as I'm in rented property for the next three years, so it's not an option to wall mount the speakers; and the stand height is the only thing putting me off buying the 3005. Does anyone know if there's a speaker stand with adjustable height that will fit the KEF satellites? Seems crazy that the thing preventing me from buying is the height of the stands...

Thanks.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
A radical solution!
emotion-2.gif

I don't understand why KEF made their stands so tall without the ability to adjust the height. Sure, the solid stands are aesthetically pleasing (and probably about the correct height for positioning the rear speakers); but most people, I would have thought, will place the centre speaker on a shelf on their TV stand (i.e. considerably lower than the satellite speakers when placed on KEF's dedicated stands).

I never anticipated so many problems when chosing a 5.1 speaker system. My first choice was a set of speakers rated at 4 ohms -- potentially bad for my mid-range receiver and the for speakers themselves. Now after deciding on the 3005 package there's another problem. I suppose I can go with the B&W MT-25 package (hardly a terrible compromise), but I really like the KEFs, sonically and aesthetically (that is until you place them on the stands)!

A

Anonymous

If you are renting for 3 years then i,m sure your landlord would allow you to drill the wall to accept 2 small speakers, as long as you agree to remove and make good before you go then i would think, speaking as a landlord mysely, for the sake of getting a 3 year let he would be happy.

A

Anonymous

johnnyjazz:If you are renting for 3 years then i,m sure your landlord would allow you to drill the wall to accept 2 small speakers, as long as you agree to remove and make good before you go then i would think, speaking as a landlord mysely, for the sake of getting a 3 year let he would be happy.

I agree, i worked in letting property for years, as long as you promise to make good whatever holes you put in the wall ( which wont be that big any way) i'm sure he wont mind, especially on a 3 yr contract. its gonna save you a couple of hundred quid not to buy the stands, its worth asking or just doing it anyway, what's the worst he can do?

Nice choice on the 3005's by the way, i'm loving the 2005's and they do look great on the wall.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Cheers for the posts guys.

I'm also a landlord myself (admittedly with a roster of 1 property), but even if the owner of the property I'm renting doesn't mind me drilling, I still think it would look messy (speaker cables trailing up walls in the middle of the living room). The ideal solution would be if there was a stand that I could attach the KEF satellites to that was either shorter (roughly 60cm or so) or allowed height adjustment.

If anybody owns the 3005 package and can comment on whether it's possible to use other stands, that would be great.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

strapped for cash:

Cheers for the posts guys.

I'm also a landlord myself (admittedly with a roster of 1 property), but even if the owner of the property I'm renting doesn't mind me drilling, I still think it would look messy (speaker cables trailing up walls in the middle of the living room). The ideal solution would be if there was a stand that I could attach the KEF satellites to that was either shorter (roughly 60cm or so) or allowed height adjustment.

If anybody owns the 3005 package and can comment on whether it's possible to use other stands, that would be great.

Thanks.

Strapped, I have the same speakers, my fronts are on the wall next to the TV and the rears are on the KEF stands you mentioned. With regard to your problem it is worth mentioning that the KEF speaker brackets can actually sit flat under the speakers (as well as behind for a wall fitting) Why not just buy some regular speker stands and attach the speakers on top of them?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Davee, that's what I was getting at.
emotion-21.gif

I wasn't sure whether the satellite's were designed with custom fittings at the rear/base that mean they can only be attched to KEF's own stands? Can you confirm that the satellites can be attached to "universal" (i.e. non-manufacturer-specific stands)? If so, problem solved!

Cheers mate...

EDIT: just reading your post again, are you suggesting sitting the speakers on stands designed for larger (standmount) speakers (not sure this would look too great, and my small living room was what made me finally decide on a sub/sat package).

A

Anonymous

strapped for cash: EDIT: just reading your post again, are you suggesting sitting the speakers on stands designed for larger (standmount) speakers (not sure this would look too great, and my small living room was what made me finally decide on a sub/sat package).

Strapped, Just tried to reply with a couple of links and pics but my message wont post so I'll try again tomorrow.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts