Standmount speakers a compromise?

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I seem to have a habit of collecting standmount/bookshelf speakers but never seem to find a pair I am totally happy with.

I currently own-

Acoustic Energy AE 100 - lovely midrange and treble but lacking in bass

Epos ELS3 - Amazing for vocals but not much else, even less bass that the AE100s but they are smaller.

Acoustic Energy Aegis evo1- Great bass but lacking the clarity in midrange of the other two pairs.

All are used on sand filled Atacama stands placed 30cm from rear and side walls in a room with hard flooring, single wired with decent cable.

The rest of the system is in my sig.

Any suggestions?

Gaz37 said:
I seem to have a habit of collecting standmount/bookshelf speakers but never seem to find a pair I am totally happy with.

I currently own-

Epos ELS3 - Amazing for vocals but not much else, even less bass that the AE100s but they are smaller.

Acoustic Energy Aegis evo1- Great bass but lacking the clarity in midrange of the other two pairs.

All are used on sand filled Atacama stands placed 30cm from rear and side walls in a room with hard flooring, single wired with decent cable.

Any suggestions?

Yes. It is a compromise. All hi-fi is...

Why are you so stuck on AE & Epos speakers? I know from personal experience that Pioneer amps work great with Wharfedale speakers. If that doesn't grab your plums then PMC DB1i should sort the problem: Great, smooth midrange, crisp HF and bang way beyond their size.

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
You should give serious consideration to the NVA Cube range of speakers. They have a knack of sounding much bigger than they are. My Allison 6s are pretty much the same design and use the same drivers as the NVA cubes. They put out tighter and more tuneful bass than my old kef reference floorstanders did.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Gaz37 said:

I currently own-

Any suggestions?

Yes. It is a compromise. All hi-fi is...

Why are you so stuck on AE & Epos speakers? I know from personal experience that Pioneer amps work great with Wharfedale speakers. If that doesn't grab your plums then PMC DB1i should sort the problem: Great, smooth midrange, crisp HF and bang way beyond their size.

I'm acually watching some Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 on the bay of temptation at the moment.

I bought the Epos on a whim just to try them, same as the AE Evos which I quite liked, reviews & prices suggested that the AE100s were a step up but weren't.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
drummerman said:
You are clearly expecting to much from budget speakers and components.

Spend more.

I recently listened to a pair of Spendor LS3 5As and found that whilst their vocal clarity was unbelievable they had no bass to speak of, small speakers don't get much more expensive than that

S

SemiChronic

As Drummerman rightly says, you need to spend more on speakers. Personally id forget the Wharfdale 9.1 and seek out a pair of Tannoy DC6SE or Precison 6.1.

Both can be had for a bargain price and can sound sexy with a half decent amp. Highs, mids and lows are all there with 3d stereo imaging.

Possibly wife friendly too

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts