Unfussy bookshelf speakers for Arcam A19

jas0_0

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

After much deliberating, auditioning and help here, I've upgraded to Arcam's A19 and irDAC, and now feel my Mission 773e floorstanders are a weak link.

I love them with sparse jazz, classical and electronica, but have always felt they’re a bit laid back with house, techno or fuller orchestral pieces. Bass can be big and deep, but often feels like it's playing catch rather than driving the music it forward. I’ve had Acoustic Energy Aegis Ones and, though less refined in treble and mid, their bass was tighter and made faster music a lot more fun than the Missions.

Long story short, I'm looking for small bookshelfs that sing with classical, jazz and folk, but don't hold back with funk, soul and modern dance music. My room is 16x10 foot, and the speakers will be on a short wall. One will be within 10 inches of a side wall and they will sit on bookshelves, so close to the rear wall.

Budget is £400 to £1000 and I’d consider second hand.

So far, the PMC DB1i and Guru Junior seem about right – it would be great if you have any more suggestions.

Thanks a lot,

James

jas0_0 said:
Hi all,

After much deliberating, auditioning and help here, I've upgraded to Arcam's A19 and irDAC, and now feel my Mission 773e floorstanders are a weak link.

I love them with sparse jazz, classical and electronica, but have always felt they’re a bit laid back with house, techno or fuller orchestral pieces. Bass can be big and deep, but often feels like it's playing catch rather than driving the music it forward. I’ve had Acoustic Energy Aegis Ones and, though less refined in treble and mid, their bass was tighter and made faster music a lot more fun than the Missions.

Long story short, I'm looking for small bookshelfs that sing with classical, jazz and folk, but don't hold back with funk, soul and modern dance music. My room is 16x10 foot, and the speakers will be on a short wall. One will be within 10 inches of a side wall and they will sit on bookshelves, so close to the rear wall.

Budget is £400 to £1000 and I’d consider second hand.

So far, the PMC DB1i and Guru Junior seem about right – it would be great if you have any more suggestions.

Thanks a lot,

James

I'd be looking at Focal 'V' series. They are front ported which helps with placement. Also would explore Tannoy Precision 6.1s. Excellent speakers, and should work well with Arcam.

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Mike_Schmidt said:
I cant say enough about my Proac studio 118's.
hi and sorry to cut in this post as I am after a pair of the 118s are they any good and kind of music do you listen too with them are they as good as the reviwe says in what hi fi

I listen to mostly heavy music to Tori Amos and expands from there. There great I know ill get slack but for all around listening and enjoying music these are musically better IMO than the D28's I had. They image perfect there tweeter isnt over powering the mid is beatiful spot on. Honeslty they got 5 stars and beat out by another but I would disagree these are forgiving unlike the ATC which will eat up a bad recording or equiptment. Ive had them close to wall far out from the wall toed in lots and not toed in at all and they always sound amazing.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Mike_Schmidt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Mike_Schmidt said:
I cant say enough about my Proac studio 118's.
hi and sorry to cut in this post as I am after a pair of the 118s are they any good and kind of music do you listen too with them are they as good as the reviwe says in what hi fi

I listen to mostly heavy music to Tori Amos and expands from there.  There great I know ill get slack but for all around listening and enjoying music these are musically better IMO than the D28's I had.  They image perfect there tweeter isnt over powering the mid is beatiful spot on.  Honeslty they got 5 stars and beat out by another but I would disagree these are forgiving unlike the ATC which will eat up a bad recording or equiptment.  Ive had them close to wall far out from the wall toed in lots and not toed in at all and they always sound amazing.

I disagree regarding atcs being unforgiving as when ive heard them all recordings sounded very good but they are honest.

Id recomend trying kef r300 or atc 19 (over budget)

rainsoothe

Guru Juniors seem to be geting a lot of love for the qualities you're searching, so goodluck finding a pair. Of Gurus, of course :) If it can drive the ATC SCM11, that could be worth a try. I used one with Focal Aria 906, which are quite unfussy, but with QED XT40 cable bass would make my couch shake :p (not boomy bass necessarily, but very punchy + precise).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts