standby-or switch off at mains?......

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a question for you all.

Due to ever-increasing energy costs, ive resorted to switching my tv(pana PZ81)/hifi(meridian etc) off at the mains every night as opposed to leaving in standby mode. My quesations is, Is this good for the welfare of the tv? Also I have not been getting any updates through on my TV since ive been switching off at the mains. Is this pure coincidence, or should i leave on standby for the better interests of the tv?
Clive

A

Anonymous

Difficult question.

I tend to turn the Tv off using it's own main switch. The amp an CD player I leave on standby.

I have compensated recently by installing low energy bulbs in every lamp. replacing the fridge and freezer with better rated models and using public transport more.

All electronics prefer steady state conditions so my rational is that the impact on reliability on the TV will be offset by the fact that technology is moving so fast It'll be replaced before it dies or even gets to the end of it's five tear warrentee.

A

Anonymous

didnt really answer my question but thanx anyway.....

A

Anonymous

If you mean the Guide Plus+ updates then yes I think they are pulled down overnight. Leaving it on standby once a week should be enough to keep it up to date though.

Or just do a manual update.

Other than the guide though, then there's no benefit to leaving the TV in standby every night. In fact, other than clocks and fridge/freezers then I can't think of anything in the home that requires constant power.

Turn it off and save yourself the electric.

TRENDING THREADS