Question Crazy noise from speakers

MolleMorten

Jul 6, 2021
Visit site
Hi.

I have a home stereo with Arcam Solo Movie 5.1 AMP.
It has allways just been ON and i have it setup, to run sound through, optical cable from TV to AMP.
I have my computer to run over the TV screen..
So when i turn off the TV or COMPUTER, it goes on standby after some time..

I have now been out of my home and only home in the weekends.. So i have turned off the power plug with (TV, PS4, COMPUTER, AMP)

One day i came home in the weekend.. My speakers where saying crazy LOUD white noise sounds + buzzing..

So now i have to restart comptuer and/or amp several times before i get it to play again :(

And everytime i turn off computer i have to turn off power at the plug or it will go crazy the white noise after some minuts..

Im affraid the amp soon will stop working / playing :( Anyone have any thoughts or ideas??

I tryed pulling every speaker cable while white noise is on.. And tried switching optical cable behind AMP from SAT to AUX and no differnce..

Never had so much as 1 problem with AMP before :(

Attachments

• 1509533269_1094.jpg
    1509533269_1094.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 3

aversaurus

Let them change it the part is probably less then £2 . There will be quite a few capacitors in the amplifier and without knowing which one as they will be different sizes you can't buy the part in advance.

MolleMorten

Jul 6, 2021
Visit site
Okay thanks.. and how do you know it might be that there is wrong? (Have you tried it before) and is it because i just turn off the amp by taking out the power plug

Gray

Get a repair estimate before having any repair done.
Even if the part is cheap, doesn't mean the repair will be.
There's a thread on the forum at the moment.....his part cost less than a tenner....the repair cost was £274.
He paid the price, but the fault symptom has not been cured. Think hard before acting.
With respect, if you don't know what a capacitor is....don't think about changing any parts yourself.

MolleMorten

Jul 6, 2021
Visit site
Im an electrician.. but I only make house Electric not gadgets and Machine..

Yes i will look for a price first.. but how do you know it could be capacitor? Have you tried that before i meantion

Tinman1952

So you have your PS4 and your computer connected to the TV via HDMI and then optical from the TV to the Arcam. And when it’s working ok but you turn off the computer…you get the ‘white noise’ after a few minutes?
What is the TV setting for the digital audio out?

Reactions: Gray

Gray

Im an electrician.. but I only make house Electric not gadgets and Machine..

Yes i will look for a price first.. but how do you know it could be capacitor? Have you tried that before i meantion
Unless they know of a specific, common fault, the first thing any repairer will do is have a good visual check - looking for any obvious sign of trouble. You've got nothing to lose by doing that yourself - at least as an electrician, you won't do anything silly.

If you get an estimate, try to get one that's free. In the example I mentioned it cost him £45 (deductable from the eventual bill - but £45 wasted if he had refused the repair).

See Tinman's suggestion above about the digital o/p setting, before deciding what your problem actually is.

Last edited:

MolleMorten

Jul 6, 2021
Visit site
So you have your PS4 and your computer connected to the TV via HDMI and then optical from the TV to the Arcam. And when it’s working ok but you turn off the computer…you get the ‘white noise’ after a few minutes?
What is the TV setting for the digital audio out?
Yes thats correct.. oh I dont know what settings im first home at the weekend.. but it have worked perfectly the Way it is now for many years.. only Thing different is i take the power from the outlet if that hurts the amp?

Tinman1952

Yes thats correct.. oh I dont know what settings im first home at the weekend.. but it have worked perfectly the Way it is now for many years.. only Thing different is i take the power from the outlet if that hurts the amp?
If it’s working ok and all you do is turn off the pc…then I can’t see how it can be the amp….
If however the TV was switching the digital audio output to bitstream instead of pcm… then that would give exactly the noise you describe.

MolleMorten

Jul 6, 2021
Visit site
If My computer is standing still for 10min.. it goes on standby.. and a few minuts later the noise comes on.. and I have to restart computer and/or amp many times before it works.. and nothing has changed in My settings on pc or tv

Tinman1952

Yes but your TV detects all the devices connected by HDMI and when one goes off I’m wondering if the TV is changing the audio output…that’s all. I still don’t see how it can be the amp in that situation.

Reactions: Gray

MolleMorten

Jul 6, 2021
Visit site
Yes and tried just restarting amp.. thats not enouhg allways.. I also have to restart computer too..

If i turn off computer normaly in Windows.. the noise comes after some minuts still.. thats why i think its amp.. and its from speakers and not subs

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts