OLED up the garden path...?

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I've been putting off a TV purchase for a while now. 4K is here! Whoo-HOooOOOOOooo!! etc.

But, like with Full HD (which is what they called HD before the marketing bods realised that having 5 categories of HD confused people), I had the telly ages before the content arrived. Basically, there's no real benefit in switching to 4K yet - the content isn't there in sufficient quantity.

OLED - now that's interesting. LG is doing it, but...

I want my next screen to be Samsung or Panasonic or (at distant 3rd) Sony.

None of these manufacturers is throwing their considerable balance sheets into OLED in a meaningful way.

Is this a case of "flog the LCD pony" to get people into early 4K cheaply, wait for LG to trailblaze OLED (and drive down development costs) and then for Samsung etc. to jump in (encouraging the early LCD 4K people to buy another TV in 2 years time) or are they just passing the tech by?

I don't want a LCD 4K TV, if 18 months will see the OLED come to the fore.

What do people think (PS - I don't want to spend more than £1.5K on a 50" screen!).

D

Deleted member 2457

Big Aura said:
I've been putting off a TV purchase for a while now. 4K is here! Whoo-HOooOOOOOooo!! etc.

But, like with Full HD (which is what they called HD before the marketing bods realised that having 5 categories of HD confused people), I had the telly ages before the content arrived. Basically, there's no real benefit in switching to 4K yet - the content isn't there in sufficient quantity.

OLED - now that's interesting. LG is doing it, but...

I want my next screen to be Samsung or Panasonic or (at distant 3rd) Sony.

None of these manufacturers is throwing their considerable balance sheets into OLED in a meaningful way.

Is this a case of "flog the LCD pony" to get people into early 4K cheaply, wait for LG to trailblaze OLED (and drive down development costs) and then for Samsung etc. to jump in (encouraging the early LCD 4K people to buy another TV in 2 years time) or are they just passing the tech by?

I don't want a LCD 4K TV, if 18 months will see the OLED come to the fore.

What do people think (PS - I don't want to spend more than £1.5K on a 50" screen!).
Has to be OLED, they are amazing. Think they are better than the best plasmas by some way!

Or by a second hand plasma to keep you ticking over. You can trust the ones on AV Forums.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
it will be a while before you can get a 50" 4k oled for £1500 anyway..they dont do them below 55" yet and maybe by the time others do them they might be cheaper. samsung might have started selling OLED by 2018..

nugget2014 said:
it will be a while before you can get a 50"  4k oled for £1500 anyway..they dont do them below 55" yet and maybe by the time others do them they might be cheaper. samsung might have started selling OLED by 2018..
Already available for £1299:

http://www.johnlewis.com/lg-55ec930v-curved-oled-full-hd-3d-smart-tv-55-with-freeview-hd-2x-3d-glasses-and-2x-3d-clip-on-glasses/p1719631?navAction=jump

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Ah, the OP isn't clear about 4K, plus I don't see any mention about preference for flat.

Thought you were responding to nugget2014, who said

nugget2014 said:
it will be a while before you can get a 50" 4k oled for £1500 anyway.

The curved thing was entirely my own prejudice.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Did you notice the time of my post? :boredom:

Sorry to have bored you. No, I'm afraid I don't check these things as closely as you clearly do: I just saw a post in which you quoted a comment and appeared to respond to it, but now I see that reading is no guide to what's actually going on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts