Squeezebox Touch v Current Streamers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
ESP2009 said:
Comparing the sound quality: well, the SBT does a very good job. It is connected via RCA cables into the Uniti for DAC and amplification purposes. The performance is more than satisfactory, especially given the ease of use. It's just that when I switch to the Uniti there is a step up in terms of punch, focus, presence and atmosphere/mood. In addition to avoiding a tendency towards loose, slightly splashy top end sounds, the Uniti gives an added breadth and depth, together with an extra warmth - it's more natural sounding and displays greater control over those sibilant pitfalls that cause the SBT to stumble a little.

But if you factor in the cost of the Uniti at over £2k (until the Uniti 2 really takes hold) vs the SBT at under £200 plus a decent amp (and DAC?)...yes, I must be mad! :bounce:

I reckon I can live with both, depending on who is present and any further refinements and fine-tunings I can get done. But, believe me, the SBT hype is not necessarily that - it's a bloomin' steal at under £200 so well done Logitech. :cheers:

Interesting. If you find that sort of thing interesting. So, just to check - you connected the SBT via RCA cables, ie. using the SBT DAC?

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
omnibeard said:
ESP2009 said:
Comparing the sound quality: well, the SBT does a very good job. It is connected via RCA cables into the Uniti for DAC and amplification purposes. The performance is more than satisfactory, especially given the ease of use. It's just that when I switch to the Uniti there is a step up in terms of punch, focus, presence and atmosphere/mood. In addition to avoiding a tendency towards loose, slightly splashy top end sounds, the Uniti gives an added breadth and depth, together with an extra warmth - it's more natural sounding and displays greater control over those sibilant pitfalls that cause the SBT to stumble a little.

But if you factor in the cost of the Uniti at over £2k (until the Uniti 2 really takes hold) vs the SBT at under £200 plus a decent amp (and DAC?)...yes, I must be mad! :bounce:

I reckon I can live with both, depending on who is present and any further refinements and fine-tunings I can get done. But, believe me, the SBT hype is not necessarily that - it's a bloomin' steal at under £200 so well done Logitech. :cheers:

Interesting. If you find that sort of thing interesting. So, just to check - you connected the SBT via RCA cables, ie. using the SBT DAC?

Ah, yes, thinking about it... :oops:

I was only thinking last night, as I drifted off to sleep, that I must get a digital cable of a sensible length.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Would be interesting to see what you thought of the sound piped through a cheap DAC:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amazing-sound-BERESFORD-DAC-TC-7510-24bit-96KHz-HiFI-Collection-OK-99p-Optical-/130706644270?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item1e6eb91d2e

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
omnibeard said:
Would be interesting to see what you thought of the sound piped through a cheap DAC:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amazing-sound-BERESFORD-DAC-TC-7510-24bit-96KHz-HiFI-Collection-OK-99p-Optical-/130706644270?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item1e6eb91d2e

:rofl:

Is a Cambridge Dacmagic cheap enough? :)

Anyway, I've just ordered a nice cheap coax digital cable off Amazon so I can link to cheap or expensive external DACs as the whim takes me.
smiley-wink.gif

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
omnibeard said:
Would be interesting to see what you thought of the sound piped through a cheap DAC.
I found no significant difference between the DAC in the Touch, a Beresford Caiman & the DAC in my Leema Pulse III.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
So by all accounts the SBT is a bit of a bargain. The only advantage I can see that Sonos has is its independent wireless network, but if I connect these to a wired network then that is negated.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
omnibeard said:
So by all accounts the SBT is a bit of a bargain. The only advantage I can see that Sonos has is its independent wireless network, but if I connect these to a wired network then that is negated.

And its perfectly synced multi-room capabilities. That's the main selling point of Sonos.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
omnibeard said:
Sonos will work without any server software & the meshed network is proprietary, so less prone to competing neighbours. It's also probably more of a plug n play experience whereas Squeezebox can be a little challenging for first time users.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Crocodile said:
omnibeard said:
Sonos will work without any server software

That as well.

the meshed network is proprietary, so less prone to competing neighbours.

Hmm, that's not actually true, the Sonos Mesh is just as prone to wireless interference as any other wireless network, if you've got a neighbour using the same wireless channel you'll know about it.

It's also probably more of a plug n play experience whereas Squeezebox can be a little challenging for first time users.

That's another good point though.

nads

The_Lhc said:
omnibeard said:

And its perfectly synced multi-room capabilities. That's the main selling point of Sonos.

and the Squeezeboxes do that as well, even outside on battery power.

nads

Crocodile said:
omnibeard said:
Would be interesting to see what you thought of the sound piped through a cheap DAC.
I found no significant difference between the DAC in the Touch, a Beresford Caiman & the DAC in my Leema Pulse III.

and me with the DacMagic2 so i sold it.

SBT and a cheap DAC not worth it save the cash and spend it on music.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
ai ai ai ... while reading this thread, I wondered if had been worthwhile to have bought my Rega DAC, and have the SBT through it ... But I bought the DAC first ...

When I bought the SBT i always connected throught the DAC, and have not the slightest idea how the SBT sound like without going through the DAC.

Well ... I got up and connected directly to the AV... Noticed a difference, but it will be worth the value of The DAC...?

I will not jump to a definitive conclusion, because I have not a stereo amplifier, I've only my AV, and may not have the detail of a dedicated amplifier.

Briefly i'll be buying a Rega Brio, only then I will do my final assessnt.

Let's see if I will not have to sell the DAC ... :roll:

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
ESP2009 said:
Neon K said:
ESP,

How many tracks are on your 212J ? I am wondering if the J models are up to the task. The 212 and 212+ are more powerful, but is yours good for 20,000 -> 30,000 tracks?

thanks, -N-

Eeeeek! How many?!?! :O

OK, I have installed 2x 2Tb drives in RAID 1 configuration which means just under 2Tb effective storage. With just over 1000 albums in flac format a quick check shows just under 18000 tracks (probably including duplicates I need to sort out) taking up less than 500Gb. So, yes, I suppose my setup is probably good for 20-30k tracks in high quality format.

The DS212j can handle larger HDD than 2x 2Tb anyway - if your allet can stand it. You might want to look at better RAM/buffer specs and faster drives, of course. :)

You can go until 3TB...

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
ESP2009 said:
Neon K said:
ESP,

How many tracks are on your 212J ? I am wondering if the J models are up to the task. The 212 and 212+ are more powerful, but is yours good for 20,000 -> 30,000 tracks?

thanks, -N-

Eeeeek! How many?!?! :O

OK, I have installed 2x 2Tb drives in RAID 1 configuration which means just under 2Tb effective storage. With just over 1000 albums in flac format a quick check shows just under 18000 tracks (probably including duplicates I need to sort out) taking up less than 500Gb. So, yes, I suppose my setup is probably good for 20-30k tracks in high quality format.

The DS212j can handle larger HDD than 2x 2Tb anyway - if your allet can stand it. You might want to look at better RAM/buffer specs and faster drives, of course. :)

I've got 2x2TB in RAID configuration on a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo (upgraded to 1GB of memory) with 22,470 music files (all music, no album art) totalling 947GB in uncompressed FLAC. After the initial shock to the system, everything worked perfectly and with every additional album it continues do so. Love my SBT.

manicm

There seems to be a slight bias toward DAC-based dogma. The SBT is undoubtedly good but at a certain point if the DAC is not making improvements then it's time to change the player. Remember folks, the DAC is not the be-all or end-all of what makes up a good source.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
The issues with server based software/slight installation issues don't concern me at all - worked in IT for many years, so have NASs and routers/switches blah blah blah all over the place. Plus kinda know what I'm doing on that front.

Connected to a wired network I can't see the advantage of Sonos over SBT. As far as I can see, SBT will do the "party mode" stuff, and that's the least of my concerns - I like a party with different music in different rooms anyway!

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
manicm said:
There seems to be a slight bias toward DAC-based dogma. The SBT is undoubtedly good but at a certain point if the DAC is not making improvements then it's time to change the player. Remember folks, the DAC is not the be-all or end-all of what makes up a good source.

I would back that statement.

Using my squeezebox touch and analogue out to stream a 24/96 FLAC of Dawn Langstroth - Highwire it blows away my CD quality. Giving the same file to my Oppo 93 via a Dacmagic2 provides extra clarity to the vocals, the cymbals sound more realistic, better focus of the soundstage and bass more defined. Yet attaching the squeezebox to the DAC does not provide seem to improve the presentation. A few hours listening over the weekend has not yet changed my initial opinion - the Squeezebox does not match the presentation of the Oppo>DAC combo.

Though I must say that for most I will be using the Squeezebox just on user friendliness alone it's superb.

Marie Antoinette

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Here's my SBT & Dac story.....

SBT Into a v expensive Theta dac with anti jitter device and upgraded psu, I believed it sounded wonderful, but then, just for an experiment, unhooked the dac, and fed the SBT straight into my amp........hello?..........don't hear any difference! So I flogged the £1700 Theta, and sat back thinking I didn't need a dac as it made no difference.

Then, on another forum, noticed a huge interest going on with a company whose dac I had before the Theta, Beresford.

Everyone was saying how phenomenal the Bushmaster dac was, and one guy who has used dacs costing many k's, said how brilliant it was!

long story short, I took a £200 punt and bought one.........there are many words to describe the dac, or at least what it does, but I will just use one.....AMAZING!

I have never had one piece of kit that made soooo much difference to my Hifi, and all I can say is try one, you will not be disappointed!

Marie Antoinette said:
long story short, I took a £200 punt and bought one.........there are many words to describe the dac, or at least what it does, but I will just use one.....AMAZING!

I have never had one piece of kit that made soooo much difference to my Hifi, and all I can say is try one, you will not be disappointed!

An interesting report, but makes me wonder if it is doing something right, in which case why don't the other DACs, or adding something you (and others) happen to like!

A

Anonymous

Couldn't wait for an answer comparing a new cd with an old one and swmbo wanted more control of a multi disc system so took the plunge on Cambridge's NP30, had it a week now. Running with an Arcam Black Box 3 I already had.

First thoughts are fine, few teething problems with NAS conflicts, software is better on iPad than android device, haven't bothered to run the inboard Wolfson DAC either.

Interestingly, did a test on FLAC vs 320kbps MP3 with constant bit rate and played exact same tracks, darting between them all...

No difference. Not even gonna bother to transfer other files, what a waste of time and GB! Sound as good as each other, detailed, crisp and how I like it. Would really suggest trying 320kbps CBR before digitising loads of files to FLAC.

BUT, and there's always one... AAC files seem lifeless, boomy and tinny so used CNET's AAC to MP3 free converter changing to 320kbps MP3's... Raised file size over the test of 629 tracks by about 600MB, so no matter there.

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts