Squeezebox Touch dumbed down by hifi dealers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
nopiano said:
Shanka, I don't think you said where your £120 model came from. Do say.

And I guess I have missed the news that the SBT is being discontinued - or is that just web speculation (I can see it in an Amazon review)?

Here it is.

http://blog.logitech.com/2012/09/28/an-open-letter-to-squeezebox-fans

matthewpiano

stevebrock said:
Same here my SBT arrived from amazon yesterday...... Very impressed so far going through my rega DAC on coax!

i just downloaded 50 words for snow - Kate Bush in 24/96 and its sounds superb and defiantely ahead of the red book cd.

i am streaming wirelessly from my iMac to SBT - all good so far!

just worried I might get addicted to 24/96 downloads might try Muse new album.

I'm sure the sound quality will be good at 24/96 on the Muse album, but the album itself is ropey to say the least (IMO). I usually like their stuff but this album really is a whole collection of ideas nicked from other people and their own past releases.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Shanka said:
. I was going to go coax but if your balls are telling you there may be an issue over that length then it might be worth giving them a listen....

It just means that you need a second opinion from somebody who really knows what they are talking about!

As it happens, I think I was talking b*ll*x:
http://www.ehow.co.uk/facts_5527321_digital-fiber-optic-audio-cable.html

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Shanka said:
Hi, Got my little box yesterday, very easy to install even for me and plugged directly into my Caspian for some booze fuelled listening last night via spotify ( is this the right place to apologise to my neighbours !?) Tried operating with the screen and the app on my mobile and found it a bit fiddly but maybe some practice over the weekend will sort that out, I am pretty sure it needs a dac as sq was acceptable but not thrilling, will try and compare against my dacmagic over the next week to see how they stand up to each other. I will be getting a new dac for the caspian, comments on other threads, mdac seems in pole at present. When connecting to the dac i think I will get a 3 or 4m cable so as i can have the screen nearer my listening position ( which was on the floor last night ) but was wondering if anyone had any experience of any differing results with coax or optical. I am going to have to buy a long cable and seeing I don't go for deluxe pricing on cables anyone got any suggestions. Thanks again for any help, gratefully recieved as always.

I've read along the way many tests about the SBT an they all highlight the coax output.

:cheers:

Let me se if i can find the SBT review that i've read that...

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Mark Grant digital coaxials are what I'm using, cheap, good quality and the cable/connectors are 75ohms.

cant see how anything else would be better!

SteveR750

CnoEvil said:
CnoEvil said:
Shanka said:
. I was going to go coax but if your balls are telling you there may be an issue over that length then it might be worth giving them a listen....

It just means that you need a second opinion from somebody who really knows what they are talking about!
As it happens, I think I was talking b*ll*x: http://www.ehow.co.uk/facts_5527321_digital-fiber-optic-audio-cable.html

The nice chaps at Chord told me different - there is no practical length limit to a fibre optic cable (which is why telecoms use them over long distances with low losses). This was their explanation, not mine.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
CnoEvil said:
CnoEvil said:
Shanka said:

As it happens, I think I was talking b*ll*x: http://www.ehow.co.uk/facts_5527321_digital-fiber-optic-audio-cable.html

The nice chaps at Chord told me different - there is no practical length limit to a fibre optic cable (which is why telecoms use them over long distances with low losses). This was their explanation, not mine.

Two problems with that, audio optical cables use low grade plastic carriers, not high-quality glass fibres, secondly, long distance fibre optics require powered optical repeaters at regular intervals to boost the signal level, I think WHF ran a story a while back that showed one of the under sea repeaters hauled to the surface, although for the life of me I can't remember why they talking about it.

As it happens I used to splice expiremental comms grade optical fibres together, they're nothing like the rubbish they use in optical audio cables.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Two problems with that, audio optical cables use low grade plastic carriers, not high-quality glass fibres, secondly, long distance fibre optics require powered optical repeaters at regular intervals to boost the signal level, I think WHF ran a story a while back that showed one of the under sea repeaters hauled to the surface, although for the life of me I can't remember why they talking about it.

As it happens I used to splice expiremental comms grade optical fibres together, they're nothing like the rubbish they use in optical audio cables.

When I was looking about on the web for info, there were conflicting opinions, but the general consensus was that the S/PDIF used in hifi was not the same quality as the fiber optics used in long distance communications.....so I think The_Lhc is correct.

SteveR750

Are there any high quality glass fibre optic cables that could be used for audio?

There aren't many on the market, and they're all around the £30-£40 a cable price range, so there's not much different in their construction (not that price and quality are necessarily linked in the world of hi fi)

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Apologies for not replying on this sooner, I bought my SBT through a friend who was able to buy a few through his company on the cheap following a drink fuelled chat earlier that week, I got a bargain but after having another fuelled listening session last night it would be a bargain at double the price.

I was comparing a few tracks from ENO/U2 Passengers album from my cd to Spotify premium on the SBT, is the cd better , yes, is it £1200 better, NO.

I will be doing a bit more evaluation, unfuelled, over the weekend but I am convinced the SBT is my best, easily, Hifi steal, a truly amazing product.
I am having to consider is a DAC going to add value, my willingness to part with the cash for one is currently stalled and would love to hear your views on the improvements your DAC's have given especially in relation to the cost over just using the SBT alone.

The only change I made from last weeks initial listen was changing the RCA IC from a chord crimson plus to the one supplied as it was longer and have been moving a few things around the room.

The SQ to be seems acceptable bearing in mind the library I have available to me on Spotify and I am now finding the box easier to use/understand.

A fabulous piece of kit for the money, I am a convert, go out and buy one, I think I will see if my friend can get anymore as I fancy a back up in case mine breaks, why is no one picking this product up, truly amazing.

I feel as though I may have comitted heresy on here but this product is a revelation, I would like to thank all those before me who have sung the praises of this outstanding product and made me take a punt and I believe.
Maybe too much of the wine last night, we will see !!!

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Shanka said:
Hi, Apologies for not replying on this sooner, I bought my SBT through a friend who was able to buy a few through his company on the cheap following a drink fuelled chat earlier that week, I got a bargain but after having another fuelled listening session last night it would be a bargain at double the price. I was comparing a few tracks from ENO/U2 Passengers album from my cd to Spotify premium on the SBT, is the cd better , yes, is it £1200 better, NO. I will be doing a bit more evaluation, unfuelled, over the weekend but I am convinced the SBT is my best, easily, Hifi steal, a truly amazing product. I am having to consider is a DAC going to add value, my willingness to part with the cash for one is currently stalled and would love to hear your views on the improvements your DAC's have given especially in relation to the cost over just using the SBT alone. The only change I made from last weeks initial listen was changing the RCA IC from a chord crimson plus to the one supplied as it was longer and have been moving a few things around the room. The SQ to be seems acceptable bearing in mind the library I have available to me on Spotify and I am now finding the box easier to use/understand. A fabulous piece of kit for the money, I am a convert, go out and buy one, I think I will see if my friend can get anymore as I fancy a back up in case mine breaks, why is no one picking this product up, truly amazing. I feel as though I may have comitted heresy on here but this product is a revelation, I would like to thank all those before me who have sung the praises of this outstanding product and made me take a punt and I believe. Maybe too much of the wine last night, we will see !!!

Glad you are impressed.

It was a revelation to me and with the controller as well can sit and access all music from small remote without gettiing up!

Rega Dac defo better and I think worth it. presents music much better with nicer stereo imaging and Rega's trademark sound.

If you are inclined to squeeze more out then I can recommend hard wiring being better than wifi. I had to drill hole in ceiling and run cable down so I must think worth the effort.

Had improvements with PSU, strangely found much better with the SBT plugged into Wireworld Matrix mains block and the psu directly into wall socket. The energy / verve is back as well as better imaging / space / blacker background. HiFi Choice recommended squeeze upgrade. Opinions very divided on this however.

Change setting in Squeeze server on PC if you can to decode on PC rather than SBT. I use FLAC only. Greater network load but reduces work SBT has to do.

Feeling keen still, then try Soundcheck mod 3 but with Logitech defaults! Ask more if interested.

As you can see there are tweaks possible!

Let us know what you think after more listening!

Ambrose

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Shanka said:
Hi, Apologies for not replying on this sooner, I bought my SBT through a friend who was able to buy a few through his company on the cheap following a drink fuelled chat earlier that week, I got a bargain but after having another fuelled listening session last night it would be a bargain at double the price. I was comparing a few tracks from ENO/U2 Passengers album from my cd to Spotify premium on the SBT, is the cd better , yes, is it £1200 better, NO. I will be doing a bit more evaluation, unfuelled, over the weekend but I am convinced the SBT is my best, easily, Hifi steal, a truly amazing product. I am having to consider is a DAC going to add value, my willingness to part with the cash for one is currently stalled and would love to hear your views on the improvements your DAC's have given especially in relation to the cost over just using the SBT alone. The only change I made from last weeks initial listen was changing the RCA IC from a chord crimson plus to the one supplied as it was longer and have been moving a few things around the room. The SQ to be seems acceptable bearing in mind the library I have available to me on Spotify and I am now finding the box easier to use/understand. A fabulous piece of kit for the money, I am a convert, go out and buy one, I think I will see if my friend can get anymore as I fancy a back up in case mine breaks, why is no one picking this product up, truly amazing. I feel as though I may have comitted heresy on here but this product is a revelation, I would like to thank all those before me who have sung the praises of this outstanding product and made me take a punt and I believe. Maybe too much of the wine last night, we will see !!!

Welcome to the club, it's a pity that the SBT is know part of the hi-fi past... Mine still work and i will use it until she dies!!!

The ad on of a external DAC is a plus, but is a £300, 400, 500 plus, i don't now, you have to se for your self...

:cheers:

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Shanka said:
I am having to consider is a DAC going to add value, my willingness to part with the cash for one is currently stalled and would love to hear your views on the improvements your DAC's have given especially in relation to the cost over just using the SBT alone.

I would recommend a punt on the Beresford Bushmaster - bit of a steal at £180 delivered. Haven't heard it with a SBT but it's very good with my CDP and iMac.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for all the tips and advice, once it and I have settled down will try out the sbooster and hard wiring to my modem, there is also linear power upgrade !!! which I don't really understand but may give it a go if its on sale or return.

Checked out the bushmaster ( the dac not the tank) and sadly not for me as would want a usb input but noticed the caiman has a lot of inputs and can demo locally so will give that a spin, who knows.

Had another go with the SBT last night, fuelled again, but my friends who were with me, one has already ordered one on Amazon( he has mf pre/power and proac response) and the other said he probably will purely for his itunes and spotify through his Ca/Gale system.

This SBT just sells itself once people see and hear it, truly amazing product, still staggered.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
OOps, forgot to add , got the orange squeeze app for the phone, not got the hang of it yet, read reviews saying it was better than the Logitech app, takes me ages to get to grip with apps, maybe this is age related.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Wonderful aren’t they?

I found little difference between the on board DAC and those priced around the £200 mark, that said switching back over prolonged listening via the analogue out it sounded a little fuzzy round the edges to me. Of course the counter argument to that is you can use it as a transport to a higher end DAC and have a serious source.

I’m not really thinking about life after my SBT yet, I’m hoping I’ll get a few years out of it yet and by that time the market will be full of various alternatives. The Cambridge Audio one looks OK but for the time being the Touch is the best option for me and a bargain to boot.

Have you tired the enhanced digital out app for USB (ah no, of course you haven’t), well try it is you ever have a USB DAC.

Any thing to try is the Linn radio stations, the quality is very, very good.

You know how irritating it is when someone tags onto an old post? Well, here goes!

1. This is probably the best of all the SBT threads here on WHF, and I think I've read them all. Worth not being lost forever!

2. I've recently bought a used one, despite all the gloom over the shelf-life of support and it being discontinued. Listening from analogue outs, no fancy DACs or power supplies, though recommendations are of interest.

3. It is absolutely brilliant, and really justifies all the praise heaped upon it, both here and abroad.

4. Wireless sounds exactly the same as wired, so am beginning to wonder about the Ethernet benefits. I realise my router and MacBook are within twenty feet of SBT, and obviously Ethernet ensures no dropouts.

5. Not rushing to get a NAS, but am enjoying a few 24/96 recordings from Linn and eclassical.com, the latter being rather cheaper and I prefer their website.

That's all for now!

Thanks for the insight, bd.

Yes, I've seen the EDO but am not keen to start tweaking just yet. The DAC upgrade route at least gives a lot of headroom, and power supplies are another possibility. There really is no obvious alternative with such a good display, is there?

I have been enjoying Linn Classical which is great sound and fine if you like the content (which I do). Never could get into internet radio on laptop, but through the hifi it seems altogether more worthwhile.

Have tried direct from USB drive too, but not sure I can tell the difference. Though I 'believe' it is more stable. Funnily enough, two days running I thought I was getting slight wireless dropouts, only to find it was Radio 3 CD players skipping on live broadcasts! I guess that says something...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts