Squeezebox Touch dumbed down by hifi dealers

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
A couple of local dealers have labelled the SBT as 'computer audio' and will never match a streamer like the Naim UnitiQute or Linn sneaky! Is this because the SBT is such a good product at the price?

I want to strem 24/96 files from my iMac to my Rega DAC as cheap as possible, the SBT ticks all the boxes but as a streamer does it compete with streaming element in the Naim & Linn?

im still hovering over the buy button on a SBT as I know they will all be gone soon!

i have looked at Apple TV but it doesn't support 24/96 which is a shame as it would be easy to fit in with my iMac and iPhone

matthewpiano

SBT is a great product and I cannot understand Logitech turning their backs on it. The user interface is better than almost anything else IMO (apart from Sooloos which is silly money). The sound is very good using the built-in DAC (certainly a match for a good budget CD player but not as good as my Roksan), but with your Rega DAC it will compete with much more expensive products. Ultimately the performance limits of the SBT are defined by the quality of the DAC you use it with and seeing as you have one of the best DACs under £1k I don't think you have anything to worry about.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I thought as much!

I won't name the dealer but he was saying that something like the naim UnitiQute would trash the SBT/Rega DAC playing 24/96 streamed files wirelessly from an iMac - yes still trying to work it out myself.

Yes I'm sure the Naim is great for £1000 but my rega brio, DAC and SBT would come to just under £1200 so it could be possible that the naim could be better, but I love the rega sound and I have a turntable so need a phono stage that the brio does very well!

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
of course a dealer is going to say that because they want you to buy the expensive product from them!

Sales people never cease to amaze me with the shite that comes from their mouths....

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
of course a dealer is going to say that because they want you to buy the expensive product from them!

Sales people never cease to amaze me with the shite that comes from their mouths....

Not sure what prompted the venom there.

The OP has already pointed out that his Rega + SBT solution would cost £200 more than a UnitiQute. (If buying from scratch.)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm sticking with my Rega set up, I love the sound and and the Brio r has a good phono stage, I'm 99% sold on the SBT just hope they don't sell out before payday.

However another Naim dealer said they were a bit disappointed with the amp in the Unitqute and the Brio r was far superior!.

I don't intend on using the SBT to stream everything just the odd 24/96 file that I buy and for the radio/spotify

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Yes I'm sure the Naim is great for £1000...

To be fair, it is an amp and an FM/DAB tuner too.

But yes, if customers are ok about using three 'boxes' (and all the associated cables & mains connections) then SBT + Amp + DAC (+ seperate FM/DAB tuner if you need that), is good too. Essentially your's is a 'seperates system vs all-in-one' comparison rather than SBT vs UnitiQute.

The UnitiQute is for people who want a small, one box solution with minimal cabling (1 mains, 1 ethernet, 2 speakers, FM/DAB coax).

Anyway, in your case (rather than someone buying everything from new) it's a no-brainer. Get the SBT.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:
cheeseboy said:

Not sure what prompted the venom there.

The OP has already pointed out that his Rega + SBT solution would cost £200 more than a UnitiQute. (If buying from scratch.)

had a few run ins with sales staff spouting rubbish recently... grrrr

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
cheeseboy said:

The staff in my local Naim stockist don't even agree with each other a lot of the time :) (Actually I like that about them.)

Although they would never come out with the sort of crap that Steve's dealer did. (Probably because they have always stocked Rega too and don't wish to alienate customers from any brand.)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
stevebrock said:
SBT ordered from Amazon!

Excellent.

Now you've done that, why didn't you just connect the Mac to the Dac with an optical cable?

For starters it's an iMac and its also upstairs in study, my hifi is downstairs!.

however I did think about selling my iMac and getting a MacBook but buying a SBT is cheaper & easier imho

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:
cheeseboy said:

The staff in my local Naim stockist don't even agree with each other a lot of the time :) (Actually I like that about them.)

Although they would never come out with the sort of crap that Steve's dealer did. (Probably because they have always stocked Rega too and don't wish to alienate customers from any brand.)

always makes me think of this :) http://www.youtube.com/embed/dSINO6MKtco

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Synology NAS } SBT } Rega DAC } Rega Brio R = magic :boohoo:

I'm going to keep mine until she dies!

I hope in a future 1/2 years from now that some similar product will apear in the market.

And someone will give a lesson to Logitech! :twisted:

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
SBT ordered from Amazon!

Nice one!

SBT doesn't lend itself to be sold at hifi shops I would say. It isn't that other products are better necessarily.

Indeed the opposite, VFM and performance (when combined with good DAC) is excellent.

I would be interested to see how a Naim CD5i or Rega Saturn compares. I wouldn't be surprised If I preferred SBT on SQ alone against these or more expensive players.

SteveR750

stevebrock said:
A couple of local dealers have labelled the SBT as 'computer audio' and will never match a streamer like the Naim UnitiQute or Linn sneaky! Is this because the SBT is such a good product at the price?

I want to strem 24/96 files from my iMac to my Rega DAC as cheap as possible, the SBT ticks all the boxes but as a streamer does it compete with streaming element in the Naim & Linn?

im still hovering over the buy button on a SBT as I know they will all be gone soon!

i have looked at Apple TV but it doesn't support 24/96 which is a shame as it would be easy to fit in with my iMac and iPhone

Next time ask him you can better bit-perfect output then?

:roll:

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
SBT is a great product and I cannot understand Logitech turning their backs on it ...

Perhaps its a margin issue. Electronics prices have risen worldwide. Perhaps it has something to do with their acquisition of UE which would enable them to release an updated, perhaps improved SB with the UE moniker and charge quite a bit more for it and ... looking at what else there's around, they probably could.

regards

nads

drummerman said:
matthewpiano said:
SBT is a great product and I cannot understand Logitech turning their backs on it ...

Perhaps its a margin issue. Electronics prices have risen worldwide. Perhaps it has something to do with their acquisition of UE which would enable them to release an updated, perhaps improved SB with the UE moniker and charge quite a bit more for it and ... looking at what else there's around, they probably could.

regards

they did that with the Mono Radio with dumbed down UI. great step forward.

daveg56

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Steve, you won't be disappointed with the SBT at all, it's a superb device. I agree wholeheartedly with all the other positive comments about the device here.

If you've got Android devices both the Orange Squeeze and Squeeze Commander are good controllers.

I'd also highly recommend upgrading from the wall-wart power supply at some point. That upgrade made a big difference to the sound quality from the SBT.

Enjoy,

Dave

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
nads said:
Steve, do you have an iThingy? if yes get iPeng for it and if you go for the play back add on your iThingy will behave like a squeezebox as well.

which can be useful.

yes I have an iMac, iPhone & iPad ( sorry )

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
This is hifi, and everyone has a different view and everyone is convinced they're right.

IMO:

- The SBT is a great product for the money, but as a music source doesn't match Streamers like the Sneaky.

- The Transport section of the Streamer does make a difference.

- Saying all that, I think it is just the job for your situation.

Dealers can be a little dismissive of it, but that doesn't mean they are totally wrong (but not totally right either).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts