Squeezebox Duet - WiFi and Bridging questions

Mr Steve

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
I have been looking at how to stream my ripped music from the study (desktop PC, Win XP, iTtunes, Apple lossless, 802.11g WPA wireless network through service provider supplied modem/router) to the audio system in the lounge, probably via the Beresford 7520 DAC (will experiment and see what differences i get with sound quality).

After having looked at Airport Express and the Squeezebox Duet, I was leaning towards the SBD due to the handheld controller which really appeals.

However, the Slim Devices forum seems to be full of complaints re the WiFi connectivity of the SBD and the controller.

Currently the wireless connectio on the PS3 only has a 45% signal strength (earlier was only 17% but without any system changes or other appliances in the house swithching on/off it has now mysteriously improved), but would this typically be enough to set up a stable wireless connection on the SBD?

Secondly, does the SBD controller link via the receiver or does it set up it's own second wireless link?

Finally, as i am ordering a custom built wood AV Stand to house all the AV and audio components - to replace an open stand and better manage and conceal what seems like a million connectors & wires - can i use the SBD as a wireless bridge from the receiver to the PS3 via ethernet cable if the wood stand interferes significantly with the wireless network signal strength to the PS3? (the SBD receiver would be on top of the stand and hopefully get a getter wifi signal).

I would prefer not to have to set up a wired connection to the SBD receiver as this would need about a 40m [120"] ethernet cable routed through low-pitch ceilings (not so much fun) which is exactly what the wireless solution should help me avoid. The other option of relocating the modem/router to the lounge is also a pain, but i suppose is a possible option.

I can also post before & after pictures of the set up when everything is received (probably about 6 weeks for the new stand) if anyone has an interest.

Thanks in advance for any comments

nads

Ok, the reason for my question was this,

I have a SB3 and was thinking that getting the Duet controller would be a nice addition.

Like you i read about these "issues" that a lot of people seem to be having and the cost of the controller as a stand alone purchace was quite high but i was thinking that a second SB might be nice.....

then i discovered apple and the apps store etc. and i was wanting a portable musicplayer and well one thing lead to another.

started looking at the iTouch but ended up with the iPhone which i run iPeng on it which does a very similar job to the duet controller ( have a look on the squeesebox forum in the 3rd party apps section for more info) you can also have a preview of what it looks like in the iTunes apps store.

Not the solution for every one but works for me.

Mr Steve

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Well, the wife does have an iPhone - surest way for me to get in trouble is to appropriate her favourite toy.
emotion-1.gif

So, for the moment, if there is a solution that doesn't need that, or our forum members think the SB networking problems are overstated this will help to focus the selection process.

Can anyone actually confirm whether the SBD will actually work as a wifi bridge?

daveh75

Mr Steve:

Can anyone actually confirm whether the SBD will actually work as a wifi bridge?

Copied from SB owners manual....

Using Squeezebox as a Wireless Bridge

Squeezebox Wireless has both 802.11g and ethernet connections. You can easily connect

non-wireless devices (such as a TiVo, PlayStation, XBox, or a home theatre PC) to your

wireless network. To set up Squeezebox as a wireless bridge:

1. Plug the device that you want to connect to your wireless network into the

ethernet port on the back of Squeezebox using an ethernet crossover cable.

You can purchase a crossover cable at most retail computer stores.

2. Press and hold the LEFT arrow on the remote for fi ve seconds to enter the

Squeezebox setup screens.

3. Press UP to scroll to the SET UP NETWORKING selection and press RIGHT.

4. Go through the network setup screens, choosing to connect to a wireless network

and then select your region.

5. You should be presented with the option to turn on wireless bridging. Select YES

and then press RIGHT.

6. Continue pressing RIGHT to fi nish setting up your wireless connection. At the end,

your Squeezebox will be acting as a wireless bridge.

Northutsire

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
To answer your second question - the SBD controller does set up its own wireless link.

Have you considered using Homeplug adapters to bring an ethernet link over the mains? It would obviate routing an ethernet cable, although the Homeplug adapters can run fairly hot so you would need adequate ventilation in your AV stand.

progwardy

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I was in a very similar position to yourself. To cut a very long story short decided to go with Airport Express, coupled with (i) iPhone 'Remote' application and (ii) Rogue Ameoba software which allows you to stream all the things from your PC that Airport Express doesn't allow you to. If you're looking at Network Attached Storage as part of this, I'm not sure that this will be the route for you, but for streaming music of all types from your PC this has proved to be a very effective solution both in terms of cost and practicality. The iPhone's ability to control iTunes was the clincher for me. Do watch the strength of your wireless router - one Airport Express is fussy about where it sits to pick up the signal. Am using QED connects into my NAD amp from the AE and have to say the sound from lossless files is fantastic. I'm sure a Beresford DAC (or similar - next on my list) will add further to your enjoyment (according to others on these forums).

Hope this helps.

kevin.

Mr Steve

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Guys, thanks for all the input and ideas, lots of options for me the consider.

I wasn't considering the NAS solution just yet, as currently it is not a problem to run the pc when i want music streamed.

Other than the inconvenience of installing them, i have always favoured a wired network for privacy and stability, so maybe it is just a case of don't be lazy and do it.

Steve

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts