Spotify- The details please...

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi i am starting to come round to the idea of Spotify. I have all the kit (see below) that i think i could possibly need to integrate it into my system.

Was having a look at the apps for it on the app store, they seem to have fairly mixed reviews. Should i download the ipad version or download it onto my macbook(tried this already but before the ipad version came out so it was only a small display)

I work on vehicles a lot and take my touch with me and listen via an aux or itrip. Would the subscription be shared between all my devices??

Basically just wondering what the best solution would be? I love the Apple remote. I use this by plugging my macbook into my amp via optical and hdmi converter. With the ipad as a brilliant remote so i dont need the screen switched on. A great "juke box" for parties.

Does the sq compare with Apple Lossless??

Are there better solutions??

I know about Sonos but think there are more cost effective routes. If i did go down the multiroom route would Airport Express or Apple tv work or is there a better solution to pipe music to the kitchen and bedroom?? Homeplugs/squeezebox etc

I dont have any of my fairly large itunes music collection on the ipad as i use my touch for portable listening, when home i simply use it as a remote with my macbook.

Any tips or advice of spotifiers greatly appreciated

Many thanks

iMark

First you need a Spotify Premium account to make use of the more advanced features.

There is only app that actually works and that is the iPhone/iPod Touch app from Spotify. It also works on the iPad but is only the size of the iPhone app on screen. Still no iPad app from Spotify.

http://www.spotify.com/nl/mobile/iphone/

With a Premium account you get several advantages:

- higher bitrates

- download playlists for offline use.

The last feature will be useful if you're on the road. Only one device can use the account at the same time. When we use our MacBook to stream, the iPad can't log on. That's where a playlist on your iPod Touch is great. Depending on available memory on you Touch you can store up to 3333 tracks on your Touch. Basically you make a Spotify playlist on your Mac and then sync the Touch with your Mac.

http://www.spotify.com/nl/mobile/learn-more/

Sound Quality is very decent. We stream Spotify with Airfoil with an Airport Express to a DACMagic. The only thing I find really annoying with Spotify is that they don't support gapless playback. Really annoying with some albums. SQ is a bit flat compare to ALAC but still very good.

I hope this helps a bit.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
john1000000boy:I know about Sonos but think there are more cost effective routes. If i did go down the multiroom route would Airport Express or Apple tv work or is there a better solution to pipe music to the kitchen and bedroom?? Homeplugs/squeezebox etc

If you already use iTunes / iPod Touch / iPad, I'd say an Airport Express + Airfoil was the cheapest way to get multiroom - it works for me. Have you already got music systems in the other rooms? If not, you could consider one of the new AirPlay enabled devices (like the Denon Ceol or the forthcoming B&W Zeppelin Air) which wouldn't need the Airport Express and you could stream directly to it. If that's a bit pricey, a pair of powered / active speakers + an Airport Express will work without the hassle / space issues of a standard system - I use the Audioengine A2s in my kitchen and the Epoz AkitMate Minis in my office and stream music to them both via AE units.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Thanks imark and p'hat,

Subscribed to the bottom package last night (I will upgrade to premium once i get all settup). I had a play about with it for a while but then had to go out.

The ipod touch would therefor pick up my playlist when in wifi mode in the house so i could take it out with me??

There is an ipad version on the app store, which has had very mixed reviews. Am i wasting my time and coin on this??

For the rest of the house i have:

Panasonic home cinema in a box with spare phonos on the back hooked up to a dvd combo tv in the bedroom

Small flatscreen in the kitchen.

The wifi signal is very weak through the house due to very thick walls. This is why i have my sky router going into a homeplug in the dining room then another homeplug feeding a Belkin n router in the hifi rack. I have just bought another homeplug to fit behind the desktop pc in the study. This is perhaps why the ae concerns me with its range in our odd shaped house!!

Is there no way of homeplugging and having control of the music through the house??

Many thanks again.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
All homeplugging will do is extend your wired network across the power lines in your house so you don't have to rely on the wireless signal so you'd still need the Airport Express units to provide something to stream the music to. If you found that wireless didn't work through your walls to stream to the Airport Express, you could use the homeplugs and plug the Airport Express into the homeplug using an ethernet cable, then stream music over ethernet rather than wireless.

In the kitchen, assuming your TV there has an HDMI input, you could use an Apple TV2 to stream music into the TV i.e. so it played through the TV speakers if you didn't want to put a separate sound system in there.

iMark

john1000000boy:
Thanks imark and p'hat,

Subscribed to the bottom package last night (I will upgrade to premium once i get all settup). I had a play about with it for a while but then had to go out.

The ipod touch would therefor pick up my playlist when in wifi mode in the house so i could take it out with me??

There is an ipad version on the app store, which has had very mixed reviews. Am i wasting my time and coin on this??

I wouldn't bother with any apps that weren't designed by Spotify. We use the iPhone app on our iPad (WiFi only) until there finally is a proper iPad app.

In WiFi mode you can use the app like you use the app on your computer. We can stream directly to our Airport Express, something the computer only can do with extra software like Airfoil.

For offline use you can prepare playlists (maximum of 3333 tracks or the available memory on your device) on your computer and then sync your device. The playlists will be available on your iPod Touch when your not online.

So in WiFi mode you simply use the Spotify app and when not online you can listen to playlists that are on your device.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts