Spotify equipment advice

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I currently have a free Spotify account which I'm using more and more, lately. I'm considering a premium account - I'm not keen on the ads, although I understand why they have to have them. I'm using my Philips laptop with a pair of Sennheiser PX100 'phones plugged into the headphone output. The sound is fine, as far it goes. If I get the premium account, I'll be looking to use my Grado SR60s, and getting a Beresford 7520. I'm thinking that, as the Beresford has a headphone out, I'm not going to need an amp. Is this correct? Any suggestions re an alternative setup?

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
I would be interested in this as well. Recently started using a free Spotify account via a desktop pc but am listening via my 5.1 gaming headphones through a creative x-fi soundcard. Sounds reasonable but I really need some proper headphones, I am thinking about the Grado SR60i as my dad has the older SR60 and these sound really good.
I do have a headphone socket on my cheapish pc speakers that I can use but I think a proper headphone amp would make a huge difference. I noticed that the Beresford 7520 has a headphone socket and was wondering the same, or if I would be better off getting a dedicated headphone amp.

Some recomendations would be great, also how much better is the sound quality on a full Spotify account?

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Hello SpiceWeasel,

With a premium account you can select to receive the music at 320kbps which is twice that of the free account rate of 160kbps. I reckon the Grado SR60is are a good idea. My old model SR60s are great. Let's hope we get some feedback sometime soon re the Beresford question.

idc

The Beresfords, or any DAC with a headphone socket have amps inside them. The concentration will be on the quality of the DAC as opposed to the amp. My X-CANSV8P is a headphone amp with a DAC, where the concentration is on the amp part.

I have not heard the Beresford, but going by other comments, if you are going to be an occasional headphone user and are happy with the SR60s, then I am sure it will be fine. SpiceWeasel, the jump to the SR80is is about £20 more if you shop around and to me, I dont understand why they don't get the awards the SR60is do. Try and audition them.

The SQ from standard to premium Spotify is not huge, but add in the advantages of being able to download music to your PC and no adverts make it very worthwhile IMHO. Just remember to edit - preferences and then tick the enable higher bit rate box in sounds

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
When I was looking to buy my pair of SR60s, a local dealer told me to spend a little more and get the SR80s. He said that they were better in the bass department. I wonder whether my next pair ought to be the SR80is. Would it be that much of a jump in sq, idc?

idc

I found the SR80s made the 60s sound dull and closed in. I really do not understand why they have won yet another award. But, I suspect that for you real benefit would come from jumping above the SR80is to the 125is at about £160, so £50 more than the SR80is. A dealer told me than the next real level from the SR80is is the 325is as a minimum. Your dealer was correct in what he said, so going by both you want to jump more than one level to really hear the benefit.

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
idc:
The Beresfords, or any DAC with a headphone socket have amps inside them. The concentration will be on the quality of the DAC as opposed to the amp. My X-CANSV8P is a headphone amp with a DAC, where the concentration is on the amp part.

I have not heard the Beresford, but going by other comments, if you are going to be an occasional headphone user and are happy with the SR60s, then I am sure it will be fine. SpiceWeasel, the jump to the SR80is is about £20 more if you shop around and to me, I dont understand why they don't get the awards the SR60is do. Try and audition them.

The SQ from standard to premium Spotify is not huge, but add in the advantages of being able to download music to your PC and no adverts make it very worthwhile IMHO. Just remember to edit - preferences and then tick the enable higher bit rate box in sounds

Thanks idc, I am thinking of buying the phones for xmas and then buying an amp/dac amp later on. After your advice and reading a few reviews I am now thinking of the SR125i, almost all my home listening is via my pc as I don't have a proper stereo system (5.1 set up) so I think spending a bit more on the phones is a good idea.

Would a headphone only amp be any good with my soundcard (creative x-fi extreme music) I think the DAC is a cirrus logic CS4832, not sure if that is any good or not. If that would be good then I might go for one of these kits, otherwise I need to look for a half decent dac amp jobbie.

EDIT: Just seen your previous post after I posted mine...... great minds and all that on the SR125i

A

Anonymous

Also have a look at iBasso. I havent got one myself, but a friend of mine has a D2 and with the Denon ahd1001 headphones it sounds amzing!!

idc

SpiceWeasel: Would a headphone only amp be any good with my soundcard (creative x-fi extreme music) I think the DAC is a cirrus logic CS4832, not sure if that is any good or not. If that would be good then I might go for one of these kits, otherwise I need to look for a half decent dac amp jobbie.

I dont know about the soundcard. There is only one forum member I can think of who lists a soundcard as opposed to a purpose DAC in his signature, al1975 (or whatever the numbers are!). I googled CS4832 and found this article -

http://techreport.com/articles.x/8884/2

which tends to suggest your route of amp first and then maybe a purpose DAC in the future would be the way to go as an upgrade path. Since the Novo gets consistently good reviews and you have PJPros brilliant guide to building one, it seems like a good place to start.

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks IDC, that gives me a few things to think about. I am going to start with the headphones 1st and then think about a proper amp so I have some time for some more research. I do like the idea of building the Novo kit and saving myself a few £'s on the retail version. I am an electronic engineer so I have no worrys building the kit, I just have no idea what sort of kit is best to use for a modest budget. There is also the 2nd hand route for the amp which I havn't looked at yet.

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
Interesting...... how do the x-can's compare to the Novo sound quality wise? I take it the V3 is the better one to go for, just had a look on fleabay but there are no x-cans on there at the mo. What sort of price do they go for 2nd hand ?

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
SpiceWeasel:
PJPro:SpiceWeasel:......If that would be good then I might go for one of these kits.....
Hmmm. That link doesn't work.

Weird.... it worked last night. It was a link to your Novo kit project.
EDIT: Ah looks like I messed up the 1st link.

I'm surprised no-one on here has given that kit a go. It isn't that hard. And didn't the Novo win the Best Headphone Amp Award?

Perhaps they have and haven't added to my post?

idc

I cant give you a direct sound comparison, it was just a suggestion for an alternative. Once modded I dont think that there is going to be a huge difference between X-CANs. Price wise the cheapest I have seen was £50ish for a V2 that did not work and they tend to be about the £100ish mark.

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
PJPro:SpiceWeasel:

PJPro:SpiceWeasel:......If that would be good then I might go for one of these kits..... Hmmm. That link doesn't work.

Weird.... it worked last night. It was a link to your Novo kit project.
EDIT: Ah looks like I messed up the 1st link.

I'm surprised no-one on here has given that kit a go. It isn't that hard. And didn't the Novo win the Best Headphone Amp Award? Perhaps they have and haven't added to my post?

I did read your project with interest when you 1st posted it, although I never replied. I am swaying more towards the Novo kit at the moment (good review and award as well), and at least it will be brand new so I don't have to worry about buying faulty 2nd hand kit.

Out of interest PJPro are there any other Graham Slee kits available? I noticed the Solo is about £100 more than the Novo, although I would imagine you would need better phones than Grado SR125i for the Solo. Do you know if you can upgrade at a later stage, or even a 3rd party upgrade kit like the one for the x-cans.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts