Spikes on laminate floor

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, what's recommended to protect laminate flooring from heavy speakers & stands on spikes? I think I've heard using coins can be just as good as the things you can buy, is this true? Also should rubber be used? I am more bothered about the sound than the marks coins might leave. Ta.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Coins will be fine, or you can buy proper spike shoes such as the ones from The Solid Shop at £12.95 for eight, or you could try bidding for them on the company's ebay site.

The indents in the dedicated shoes should make them marginally more stable should the speaker get knocked - with coins there's always a slight worry that the speaker might skid off the metal and drag across the floor if bumped hard.

A

Anonymous

I prefer Oak cones. These have an insert at the top for the spikes to sit. Not only do they focus the bass they make the speaker more stable.
Russ Andrews sells them but you may also find some the same or similar for sale on ebay
Brent

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info. I've gone for the stable but cheaper option for the moment, the metal ones. Ta

A

Anonymous

Bah, take the hardcore route

Get a pair of big heavy paving slabs and give the bottoms a rubber finish so they don't slide. Then prop yer speakers on top. Even better if you can drill little recesses in place for the spikes to sit.

Even better.... machined marble;)

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JoelSim"]Good job you don't have surround sound Thaiman or that would be 56 pence![/quote]

:) still cheaper than OAK or meatal set.

A

Anonymous

I like the sound of paving slabs. The missus already hates the Missions "They're ugly and too big" Can't wait to see her face when I install the garden path in the lounge
emotion-2.gif
Cheers for the heads up guys.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]I am using 2 p coins....make no different to the sound what so ever and they only cost me 16 pence![/quote]

Well they wouldn't would they! Try upgrading to 50p pieces. They have an odd number of symmetries so they control harmonic propogation around the edge of the coin more effectively and provide a tighter, more controlled sound.

If you're feeling really flush go for two pound coins - the serrated edges attenuate any stray RF signals as well as harmonic distortions and the extra mass helps to control the bass more effectively. I am concerned about the lettering around the edge on these though as I think it might have an affect on the stereo image unless you get both sides properly aligned - so you need to find reflected pairs where the lettering goes round the other way on one of the coins - they're quite rare so can be expensive.

A

Anonymous

Please tell me you're taking the P Jimwall!

As I have thick carpet in the lounge I have mine on slabs but to make them more acceptable I've cut them to just bigger than the speaker footprint and i've spray painted them black. I then have metal coned spike protectors I bought off Ebay cheap as chips and the combo works a treat.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Cliff Hanger"]How about taking the spikes off?[/quote]

Not a bad plan actually - you could blue-tack them direct to the floor if you don't mind the little blue marks that will inevitably result! In fact I might just do that myself! (Mine are on floorboards - I used to use the little metal cups and thought they were fairly stable until the cats and children combined to disavow me of that particular notion. I removed the cups and sat on the speakers. Now they're quiet stable :) but I'm not quite sure how I'm going to explain the little holes in the floor to the wife when she finally notices them...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="pompeyexile"]Please tell me you're taking the P Jimwall! [/quote]

Who? Me?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="jimwall"]
[quote user="pompeyexile"]Please tell me you're taking the P Jimwall! [/quote]

Who? Me?

[/quote]

LOL

For the record, I would do it if I can hear any improvment....obviously. No point I spend all that money on my set up and be stingy on a cheap paving slabs or russ's magic oak cones. My ears just not as good as some of you here that's all :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts