Spiked Speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

SteveR750

Moalboal:
Hmm, Newton said something about every force creating an opposite force...

A washing machine on spikes would wobble out of the house.

Itïs easy to test. Put your fingers gently against the speaker to feel it resonate. Now switch from spikes to damping feet and do the same. The diffrence is huge.

When listening you will notice the bass tighten up and your neighbours will thank you. Because the whole construction of the house is not playing along with the music.

No need for further discussing. If you want to know the physics about it there is plenty on the net.

If your speakers sound better on spikes, then great. Thatïs whatïs most important.

Maybe, but you won't hear much detail from your speakers as they are flapping about in time with the music (3rd law remember). To be positive, your post does raise the point that the way the room interacts with your system is critical. Ideally, you live in infinitely rigid box, with decor appropriate to the design of the speaker. In some ways, if you have a suspended floor, then you will never truly hear what your system is capable of, because either the driver can operate properly (set up as you prescribe) or your floor gets overly excited and colours the sound. Like most things, real world is about compromise.

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Hijack alert - or possible solution.

I am in a rented room with woden floors which I obviously don't want to damage.

My solution was to use cork table mats/coasters under the spikes.

Is this a good solution or should I start collecting 2p coins?

I already have blu-tack if there is ever consensus on that
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

SteveR750:Moalboal:

Itïs easy to test. Put your fingers gently against the speaker to feel it resonate. Now switch from spikes to damping feet and do the same. The diffrence is huge.

When listening you will notice the bass tighten up and your neighbours will thank you. Because the whole construction of the house is not playing along with the music.

No need for further discussing. If you want to know the physics about it there is plenty on the net.

If your speakers sound better on spikes, then great. Thatïs whatïs most important.

Maybe, but you won't hear much detail from your speakers as they are flapping about in time with the music (3rd law remember). To be positive, your post does raise the point that the way the room interacts with your system is critical. Ideally, you live in infinitely rigid box, with decor appropriate to the design of the speaker. In some ways, if you have a suspended floor, then you will never truly hear what your system is capable of, because either the driver can operate properly (set up as you prescribe) or your floor gets overly excited and colours the sound. Like most things, real world is about compromise.

Actually a speaker placed on damping feet will move less. Thatïs the whole idea. Itïs not the bass driver on the speakers that causes the largest movement, (even though it is the source) it is when the speaker and floor starts to resonate. It will resonate on damping feet as well, but at a very low frequency.

Now if you push the speaker with your hand, it will sway. But thatïs not relevant here.

SteveR750

Moalboal:SteveR750:Moalboal:

Actually a speaker placed on damping feet will move less. Thatïs the whole idea. Itïs not the bass driver on the speakers that causes the largest movement, (even though it is the source) it is when the speaker and floor starts to resonate. It will resonate on damping feet as well, but at a very low frequency.

Now if you push the speaker with your hand, it will sway. But thatïs not relevant here.

OK I didn't realise that Newtons laws were frequency dependant. I'll remember not to trust my ears next time.

A

Anonymous

Having endured overly booming bass from my floorstanding speakers, stood on their regulation spikes, for far too long, I finally removed the spikes and sat the speakers on rubber pads. The result was incredible. Previously the whole of the cavity under the floorboards must have been adding to the sound. I made the pads myself from silicone sealer. They are as large as the footprint of the speaker and are about a centimetre deep. They are a little like sorbathane. Without doubt the biggest ever improvement to my system and at almost no cost. I would definitely give it a try if you have floorstanding speakers on a suspended wooden floor.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have used spikes under speakers (or spiked stands) for most of the 30 years I have had hifi.

Twice - for a few years each time - I removed the spikes in favour of rubber feet when each of our daughters reached the stage of being able to crawl.

The bass was far worse during those years.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I had my stands on the rubber pads on wooden flooring, and the bass was a bit boomy and loose. When I switched to spikes on feet it tightened up considerably. I suppose results may depend on the structure of your floor.

A

Anonymous

If one prefer the sound of spiked speakers over the sound of speakers on damping feet thatïs great. At least you gave it a go. It should be damping feet and not rubber feet though.

The overall sound of your system will be up to room acoustics and all the components of your system. What sounds best in your room probably wonït sound best in mine.

However if one wants to reduce the amount of coloration that comes from a speaker resonating, there is no denying damping feet is superior.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Moalboal:However if one wants to reduce the amount of coloration that comes from a speaker resonating, there is no denying damping feet is superior.

Why is there 'no denying' it?

It has already been established that some people experience better sound with spikes.

You can't silence them or stop the debate with your use of ... "there is no denying"

A

Anonymous

chebby:

Moalboal:However if one wants to reduce the amount of coloration that comes from a speaker resonating, there is no denying damping feet is superior.

Why is there 'no denying' it?

It has already been established that some people experience better sound with spikes.

You can't silence them or stop the debate with your use of ... "there is no denying"

Like i also said. If someone prefers the sound of speakers on spikes thats great. It also appears that the majority on this forum does. If your happy with your sound, donït change anything. However if your not happy, damping feet might tighten upp the bass region.

My last comment was regarding the speaker resonating. It will resonate more on spikes.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
... then there's townshend, which has probably done more research into the subject than most others, with his own twist on a solution; Air.

Better? No idea, different certainly.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Moalboal. You are 'spinning' this to seem like spikes are a personal preference, but 'incorrect' .

If you have ever used a non-suspended turntable (like a Rega) on a spiked support vs one on the same support without spikes, then you can tell - just by touching the plinth - which one vibrates more. (The non-spiked one). That was not a matter of taste. It was a matter of feeling less vibration coming through the structure.

I have used spiked turntable supports and spiked speakers/stands on concrete floors and on suspended wooden floors. They have always brought improvement. (And transmitted noticeably less sound to the floor below, back when we had a 1st floor flat)

This is not even a matter of defending some expensive (but dubious) 'audiophile' nik-nak.

Target spikes cost just a few quid.

A

Anonymous

Chebby. I have to admitt i have delibratley used a slightly provocative tone. Just to cause some debate thatïs all.

I have no experience with the turntables you mention, and donït know what kind of suspension they have. My arguments are stricktly spikes vs damping feet on speakers. Not spikes vs some other suspension or rubber feet.

When you tried your spikes and found an improvement were you using damping feet or just speakers directly on the floor?

I find it interesting that spikes are by far the most preferred method on this forum. Just wanted to present an alternative that is very popular on other forums. Now, whether one prefers one or the other, dampingfeet or spikes will have great impact on the sound of your system. I think more people should experiment with it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts