Spendor SA1 Toe-in

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I know that every room and system is different.

Doing some experimenting over the next few weeks with speaker positioning.

I'm Going to move my speakers, changing distance from walls and toe-in.

I'm going to leave the speakers in each position for a few days to get used to it then change again unless I find one that I don't want to change from!

Question:

Those who have experience with Spendor SA1 speakers, what position do you find they work best and in what rooms dimensions?

Anyone else please feel free to chip in!

That's what the forums for!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Use this as a starting point...

"As a guide your loudspeakers should be placed 2 - 3 metres apart and a similar distance from the listening position. Try to position them at least 20cm from a rear wall and 30cm from a side wall. Angle the speakers in a little towards the listener to minimise off-axis reflections."

(It's Spendor's own guidelines on positioning.)

Then 'fine tune' it for you and your room.

I'd try out even more toe-in so that imaginary lines, through each speaker's axis, meet at the listening position. I'd even try it with the lines crossing a couple of feet in front of the listening position. Seems counter-intuitive but it can improve imaging with small stand mounts. It's what I used to do 'back in the day' when stand-mounted/bookshelf speakers had wider baffles and were mostly sealed cabinet designs. (Sealed cabinet speakers are the exception nowadays sadly.)

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks PP!

Just read that whole thread.

Interesting.

Not exactly what I was after but some interesting points!

I am going to try squash balls as they are soooooo cheap!

I've been thinking of a Quad 405-II for ages, but been dissuaded by others.

From what they said and what I want probably a good idea NOT to get a 405-II.

Might try other power amps one day but likely newer types.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Chebby,

Earlier, before starting this thread, I moved my speaker to almost exactly the first suggestion you have.

About 32cm from rear wall, 36CM from side, 2m apart and 2m from me, toed in so they are just about aiming for me.

My seating position makes me slightly to the right so I will need to compensate somewhere for that.

I can move my seating position more to centre but make getting to the fridge awkward!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
FennerMachine said:
Thanks PP!

Just read that whole thread.

Interesting.

Not exactly what I was after but some interesting points!

I am going to try squash balls as they are soooooo cheap!

I've been thinking of a Quad 405-II for ages, but been dissuaded by others.

From what they said and what I want probably a good idea NOT to get a 405-II.

Might try other power amps one day but likely newer types.

Tried various positions with my Spendors and found a slight toe-in the best......oh and the only problem I found with the squash ball thing was that the Spendors were so heavy they tended to squash the squash balls :rofl:

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
With the speakers set up as in post #4 and with halved squash balls instead of blu-tack they so far sound better. I need to tidy up the squash balls, a bit uneven. Imaging/sound stage is better, maybe due to there new position.

Speakers and hence tweeters are a bit higher too, nearer to ear level.

As I've said in another thread I've just bought a Quad 303 power amp.

Hopefully get it next week.

Should be interesting!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts