Spendor A7 Vs D7

eazyryder

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
I am currently on the verge of purchasing a pair of spendor A7s after demoing at my local dealer.
My issue is, i have now spotted a pair of D7s brand new for the same price as the A7s.
I have not demoed the D7s and would like some info on them.
Are the D7s the superior speaker compared to the newer A7s?
Do the D7s have the same sound characteristics as the A7s?
Has anyone had the chance to compare these two directly?
What should i go for?

eazyryder

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
As you know from my previous posts I have been auditioning many floorstanders over the last few months and the spendors on first audition just blew me away.
Seeing the older D7s at the same price has now confused what appeared to be a foregone conclusion for me

eazyryder

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
I have decided to take a leap and gone ahead with the purchase of the D7s.
Many reviews I have read have suggested they are the superior option of the two.
I hope, without my demoing them, they are.
Loved the sound from the A7s
Hope I am not making a big mistake
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Hello!

I have decided to take a leap and gone ahead with the purchase of the D7s.
Many reviews I have read have suggested they are the superior option of the two.
I hope, without my demoing them, they are.
Loved the sound from the A7s
Hope I am not making a big mistake

So what's the verdict, then?

I've been offered a pair of D7s for £2000 plus a 500-mile return drive. Does that sound like something one ought to go for?

Thanks!

eazyryder

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
Hello!

So what's the verdict, then?

I've been offered a pair of D7s for £2000 plus a 500-mile return drive. Does that sound like something one ought to go for?

Thanks!
Sorry this reply may be to late.
For that price and in a good condition I would definitely go for them.
What colour are they?

eazyryder

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
Returned the Spendor D7s
Gave them plenty off time to run-in before I made proper judgement
Analytical thin sounding and a little boring, Treble was excessive, I was trying every filter on my qutest to try to tame it with no success.

Yes you could hear every detail in the music but failed to satisfy me musically.
Sounded flat and unengaging, passable for big classical pieces but turn to a bit of rock and the excitement and dynamic drive was gone.

The D7s put me off playing most of my albums.
For me in my listening room with the Nait XS2 and qutest there were definite issues going on.

Reactions: Dom

eazyryder

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
Good stuff on your kit. Must be good sound.
First it's quite a bit above my budget, and there was a mix up with my postage on Ebay, so I just gave up. Maybe in the future!
I feel like I am nearing the end of my hi fi journey, but yours may have a long way to go.
I started in the 90s with a Denon Integrated and tannoy speakers.
Cost me about £200 for amp and speakers
You have a lot more to choose from now I think and the ebay deals

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
The D7s put me off playing most of my albums.
For me in my listening room with the Nait XS2 and qutest there were definite issues going on.
By most peoples standards the D7's are great speakers, but it just goes to show how the characteristics and combination of your room, amp and source (plus your ears) can have such a big effect.
I've demoed a Nait XS2 and from what I've read from others, I suspect the Naim/Chord combination was just too much for the Spendors.

Reactions: eazyryder

eazyryder

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
By most peoples standards the D7's are great speakers,
I know the D7s have has many glowing reviews, which was my main reason for trying them.
But I have also since read on many different forums from various D7s owners they are also known to have a wayward treble.
I also experienced this myself.

Think many of the issues where sorted out with the newer D7.2s, employing a revised polypropylene Mid/Bass driver

After demo

Last edited:
I know the D7s have has many glowing reviews, which was my main reason for trying them.
But I have also since read on many different forums from various D7s owners they are also known to have a wayward treble.
I also experienced this myself.

Think many of the issues where sorted out with the newer D7.2s, employing a revised polypropylene Mid/Bass driver

After demo
Must have revised the cross-over as well as that driver change isn't going to effect treble output.

eazyryder

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
Must have revised the cross-over as well as that driver change isn't going to effect treble output.

Apparently Philip Swift has said "This was mainly due to the upgraded mid-range driver which uses a revised polymer to better integrate with the proprietary tweeter and main bass cone"

I actually covered the tweeter with a cloth thinking this was the cause of the treble issue, it wasn't and for me it was more pointed towards the mid-bass driver on the D7.

But I am sure the cross-over has had minor tweaks as well

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts