Speakers with larger than typical bass drivers

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I contemplated changing speakers a couple of years ago. I didn't but the itch is still there!

Current speakers Quad 21L2. These perform well and I don't really need to change them, but I might if I can find a really good pair of speakers.

Are there any reasonably priced speakers with larger than normal bass cones?

Reasonable priced, say around £2000.00.

Preferably floor standers, but would consider stand mounts if they have bass comparable to floor standers.

Larger driver as in 8” and above. Many modern speakers seem to have smallish bass cones for aesthetics, and they perform well, but if I do change speakers I would rather go for performance over looks.

I am not after masses of bass, just a natural effortless sound.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Have you listened to PMC's before? these may provide the sound you are looking for, having performance larger than their bass driver may suggest.

A pair of used LB1's, AB1's or OB1's would be within budget.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Tried PMC, didn't like them. Very clean, not harsh, but too bright for me.

This was while experimenting with amps/speakers as my Cyrus amps seemed too bright. That may have affected my opinion of PMC as I was after a warmer sound. I couldn't find what I was after. After many demo's I think a natural, neutral, realistic sound is what I want.

The only combination that sounded good enough to justify an upgrade was my Quad speakers with Icon Audio ST40 amp. I'm still considering buying an ST40 but speakers might be a better upgrade.

My current amplifier is a Denon AVR-3801.

I might give PMC another go.

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
FennerMachine said:
Any suggestion welcome!

Erm, for slighlty under GBP 26,000 (or currently as low as GBP 16,700 at a well-known German website!) you could get a pair of ADAM Audio's S7A Mk2s:

UW8IKIJ.jpg

I hope that you live in a well-constructed building because two of them weight 1,151lbs.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
FennerMachine said:
Tried PMC, didn't like them. Very clean, not harsh, but too bright for me.

This was while experimenting with amps/speakers as my Cyrus amps seemed too bright. That may have affected my opinion of PMC as I was after a warmer sound. I couldn't find what I was after. After many demo's I think a natural, neutral, realistic sound is what I want.

The only combination that sounded good enough to justify an upgrade was my Quad speakers with Icon Audio ST40 amp. I'm still considering buying an ST40 but speakers might be a better upgrade.

My current amplifier is a Denon AVR-3801.

I might give PMC another go.

Hey fenner, you finally got round to changing your amps?

How does it compare to those old quads?

I am assuming you're driving the Denon in stereo?

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I've had the Denon for over 10 years.

I sold the Quads to put toward the ST40 but money is tight until house is sold.

The Denon actually does a good job. Running in Direct mode for music, so yes stereo. There is a bit of harshness that I can't explain properly in words - its not bright but sounds a bit rough. Bass is quite good, could be improved by moving the speakers further into the room but can't while having viewings on the house.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
IPL Acoustics S4 8" and S5 10" sound effortless, amazing. Build them yourself or I can build both for under 2K just. Sorry i would not normally recomend my own speakers but you wanted large drivers under 2K so I'm not treading on too many peoples toes.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Altec Model 19, Altec VoTT, Bozak Symphony and Concert Grands, EV Sentry III, Klipschorns, Klipsch Scalas, Klipsch Cornwalls, Goodmans Magisters, Akai SW 170 and SW 180 plus various other "Kibuki" type top of the range speakers, Yamaha NS 1000 range, Vitavox, JBL various models. Some Frankenstein mixture of bass bins from one speaker and midrange units and tweeters from another. DIY open baffles. etc etc etc.

hg

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
FennerMachine said:
Current speakers Quad 21L2. These perform well and I don't really need to change them, but I might if I can find a really good pair of speakers.

Are there any reasonably priced speakers with larger than normal bass cones?

Reasonable priced, say around £2000.00.

A 6.5" 2 way has not got a bass cone! It has a midwoofer which handles the midrange and the upper part of the bass so long as the level is modest and there are no significant bass transients.

A normal size for a hi-fi woofer used to be 12" but in these days of narrow towers that has become more like 2 x 8" woofers. With a 5" midrange and a 1" tweeter it perhaps defines the most conventional configuration for a high fidelity speaker for the home. Prices tend to start at around £1000 and so there are a number to consider within your budget.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I know that you will most prob get newer ones, but here's two more old ones ...

Celestion Ditton 66 .... I'd love a pair, but my room is too small .. needs a decent amp though

and a smaller speaker .... Acoustic Research AR-3 .... amazing speakers but expect to pay over £1200 for a pair in mint condition and you will most prob get them on the USA ebay site

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi FennerMachine you could give ATC SCM 40s a listen you should be able to pick a pair up for less than 2k I am not sure how much the new SCM 40s are over 3k I think they (the SCM40s Mark 1) sound awsome the bass goes down a long way its nice ans tight to I will measure the bass driver in a minute 7 1/4inchs they sound much bigger

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
ATC SCM40's are 6 dbs down at 48hz (according to manufacturer's webpage)

Klipsch Cornwall III's are 3 dbs down at 34hz (according to manufacturer's webpage).

SteveR750

+1 for ATC!

They may well be measured at -6dB at 48Hz, but they punch faster than Ali. In practice, they sound just as weighty (in the bass) as PMC twenty/26, and have a much more clear mid / treble presentation. If you preefer to hear the bass harmony, and not just feel a low frequency churn, give them a listen. The best description I can think of is that they sound huge. Poor recordings are ,massive, good ones overdose your head with groove. Plus, they go stupidly stupidly loud in a way that Sir James Marshall would have appreciated.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
ATC SCM 40 max SPL: 112 dbs = stupidly loud (you'll need a 500 watt amplifier for max SPL)

Klipsch Cornwall max SPL: 119 dbs = stupidly loud + 7 dbs! (you'll need a 50 watt amplifier for max SPL)

SteveR750

lindsayt said:
ATC SCM 40 max SPL: 112 dbs = stupidly loud (you'll need a 500 watt amplifier for max SPL)

Klipsch Cornwall max SPL: 119 dbs = stupidly loud + 7 dbs! (you'll need a 50 watt amplifier for max SPL)

Yes, but how much distortion? Remember, all amps sounds the same / work the same. BTW, I think the Klipsch x11i ear buds are brilliant!

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
TonyL, the owner of the pfm forum has a pair of Klipsch Scalas, which are at least as amazing as the Cornwalls. He lives in Rochdale. You could contact him, asking to pop round for an evening listening session. To make it worth his while, you could even offer to bring my 2 watt SET with you, which I think he would be interested in hearing with his Scalas.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
lindsayt said:

Yes, but how much distortion? Remember, all amps sounds the same / work the same. BTW, I think the Klipsch x11i ear buds are brilliant!
I don't know, as distortion figures for speakers are not commonly published.

There's a high chance the Cornwalls have less overall distortion at 112 dbs than the ATC's do. That's the benefit of very lightweight midrange units and tweeters and 15" bass drivers instead of 7". Although I would expect the nature of the distortion (in the broadest sense of the term) to be different, which is where personal preferences come in.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
The Cornwall III's cost about £2000.00 each, so £4000.00 a pair.

The Heresy III are half the price, so right on budget. 12" bass cone, but only go down to 58Hz -3db.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts