Speakers with larger than typical bass drivers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
http://www.ebay.de/sch/TV-Video-Audio-/293/i.html?_from=R40&ghostText=&LH_ItemCondition=3000&_nkw=Klipsch&_sop=3

Pairs of Cornwalls and Scalas for about £1200 on German ebay (offer 1500 euros and settle on 1600?). Plus fuel and ferry costs to go and pick them up, which you could combine with a nice little mini-break.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the link lindsayt.

I'm in no rush though, just trying to get a few ideas so I can demo a few speakers over the next few months. I'm going to take my time choosing.

wilsmusic

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi there

i upgraded my quad 21l2's in January after 3 years of solid enjoyment

iI now have tannoy precision 6.2's and enjoy these more.

at the sound and vision show in Bristol I really enjoyed the Focal floorstanders ( arias I think) and the new tannoy xt's were very good.

Will

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Anyone heard Tannoy Revolution XT 8F? 3-way with 8" bass and 8" mid. Only £1300.00. How does the overall sound quality compare to higher end Tannoy speakers?

I'll demo a few speakers over the next few months.

ATC SCM 40, Klipsch Heresy III, Tannoy – various. A few others too.

I really liked the qualities of Tannoy DC8 and Spendor SP2/3R2 but they lack the bass of floor standers.

As they both cost around £2500.00 it's going to be difficult to get what I want so I'm going to have to compromise somewhere.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I might add Kef to the list. Worth a demo just to be sure.

What actual difference is there between similar speakers but with different bass response?

Example - Klipsch Heresy and Cornwall? Or these vs Kef R700? (Or any speaker you are familiar with).

Heresy 58Hz -3bd, Cornwall 34Hz -3bd, Kef R700 42Hz -3bd

Would keeping my Quads and adding a decent subwoofer give me even better bass and overall sound quality than buying new speakers? Or are my Quads easily beaten by the various speakers suggested so far?

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Have you considered smaller speakers and adding a sub - thats what many people do these days, myself included. You get the best of both then, and can adjust sub volume if need be, e.g. late night listening, or when the neighbours have gone out :)

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
For now I have moved my speakers a little farther from the wall, turned the volume up and turned the treble down by 2bd. I can follow bass lines nicely, not too bright, probably can't do much better in my current room.
For now I have moved my speakers a little farther from the wall, turned the volume up and turned the treble down by 2bd. I can follow bass lines nicely, not too bright, probably can't do much better in my current room (12x15ft).
For now I have moved my speakers a little farther from the wall, turned the volume up and turned the treble down by 2bd. I can follow bass lines nicely, not too bright, probably can't do much better in my current room (12x15ft)

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Seems to be an echo now
regular_smile.gif

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
iQ speakers, do you sell IPL S4 speakers in any way, shape, or form?

If you do, I don't think you should be recommending / advertising them in threads like this on this forum.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Fenner, what you get from high efficiency speakers such as the Klipsch, Altec, EV ones mentioned in this thread is a dynamic, wide-open, unfettered sound that makes conventional speakers like your Quads sound shut-in, too polite, too restrained, lacking in authority. Especially in the midrange: vocals, guitars, tom drums, keyboards.

There are significant differences in the bass between Heresys and Cornwalls, Scalas, Klipschorns, Altec 19's. So please don't judge the bass of other high efficiency speakers on that of the Heresys.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
lindsayt said:
iQ speakers, do you sell IPL S4 speakers in any way, shape, or form?

If you do, I don't think you should be recommending / advertising them in threads like this on this forum.
Yes though i have been carful not to recommend, though on this ocassion they seemed the perfect fit with there large drivers. which are in short supply. I did recomend the IPL and not my own. (now removed) However point taken and I appologize.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts