Speakers for naim 5si

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Thinking of having an audition of Project Debut Carbon Esprit TT and Naim 5Si cdp with Naim 5si amp. but not sure what speakers will go, can have Kef R300 or MA GX50.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Also try the Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 and PMC DB1 Gold, both of which are a nice easy load. Although I feel they warrant a Nait XS2, you can also look at KEF's LS50.

Thanks. Unfortunately the dealers does not stock Sonus or PMC DB1s are they still current? Yes I could have LS50s or R100s.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
Also try the Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 and PMC DB1 Gold, both of which are a nice easy load. Although I feel they warrant a Nait XS2, you can also look at KEF's LS50.

Thanks. Unfortunately the dealers does not stock Sonus or PMC DB1s are they still current? Yes I could have LS50s or R100s

Yes, both current.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
BigH said:
David@FrankHarvey said:

Thanks. Unfortunately the dealers does not stock Sonus or PMC DB1s are they still current? Yes I could have LS50s or R100s

Yes, both current.

OK but they dont stock the DB1 Golds anymore for some reason. So Kef better than MA?

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
If you are limited in choice to KEF or Monitor Audio, I suspect the KEFs may be better suited, but then as your dealer can offer both presumably you can audition them for yourself.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I think you'll like the Kefs, but with Naim amplification you have to try some Dynaudio speakers. If you go to Naim forum you'll find a big number of Naim owner paired wth dynaudio.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
James7 said:
If you are limited in choice to KEF or Monitor Audio, I suspect the KEFs may be better suited, but then as your dealer can offer both presumably you can audition them for yourself.

Yes thanks. Im auditioning sources so I want speakers that will sound OK with naim. I dont really want to be changing the speakers over, as not enough time. I just want to hear a TT and maybe 2 cdps, Naim and Cyrus if there have one. They do have other brands like B&W but Im not a fan.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
I think you'll like the Kefs, but with Naim amplification you have to try some Dynaudio speakers. If you go to Naim forum you'll find a big number of Naim owner paired wth dynaudio.

OK I don't have Naim its just a brand that appeals to me to hear. They dont stock Dyns, who does? I heard Dyns before. They dont stock Neat either which have Naim fans I believe. Its just a demo for source players, TT and cdp. I have AVI active speakers which Im not changing.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

OK I don't have Naim its just a brand that appeals to me to hear. They dont stock Dyns, who does? I heard Dyns before. They dont stock Neat either which have Naim fans I believe. Its just a demo for source players, TT and cdp. I have AVI active speakers which Im not changing.

I don't know who stock them, as i'm not from UK. But in that case why not take your AVIs along?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
BigH said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

I don't know who stock them, as i'm not from UK. But in that case why not take your AVIs along?

Too much trouble.

BigH said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

Audio-T. They also stock Totem, which, so I'm told, is a cracking match with Naim. They'll probably do PMC, although haven't checked their website for yonks.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

Audio-T. They also stock Totem, which, so I'm told, is a cracking match with Naim. They'll probably do PMC, although haven't checked their website for yonks.

My nearest Audio T stocks PMC but not Totems.

BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

Okay, at least you'll have Dyns and PMCs to dem.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
It's odd that the discussion is still about speakers to match a Naim amp when the OP intends buying neither the speakers nor the amp but, instead, is intending to audition a selection of turntable(s) and CD players.

I am certain the dealer would be happy to plug in the KEFs or the MAs (or both) to facilitate these source demos. (Unless you are just conducting a bit of 'research' using his time and facilities with no intention to purchase anything at all.)

Given everything I have ever read, regarding active speakers (and AVI active speakers in particular), I was quite suprised at the source equipment the OP is thinking of listening to. ('Audiophile' standalone CD players and analogue vinyl are not exactly the usual fare when talking about AVI actives, and I thought Naim amplified passive speakers would be half a world away from any direct comparison with his ADM9s for the purposes of a demo.)

chebby said:
It's odd that the discussion is still about speakers to match a Naim amp when the OP intends buying neither the speakers nor the amp but, instead, is intending to audition a selection of turntable(s) and CD players.

I am certain the dealer would be happy to plug in the KEFs or the MAs (or both) to facilitate these source demos. (Unless you are just conducting a bit of 'research' using his time and facilities with no intention to purchase anything at all.)

Given everything I have ever read, regarding active speakers (and AVI active speakers in particular), I was quite suprised at the source equipment the OP is thinking of listening to. ('Audiophile' standalone CD players and analogue vinyl are not exactly the usual fare when talking about AVI actives, and I thought Naim amplified passive speakers would be half a world away from any direct comparison with his ADM9s for the purposes of a demo.)

Not really as he directly referred to Naim CDP and amp ("Thinking of having an audition of Project Debut Carbon Esprit TT and Naim 5Si cdp with Naim 5si amp. but not sure what speakers will go, can have Kef R300 or MA GX50"). And the title is 'Speakers for Naim 5si'.

Yes, I agree with the AVI bit -- they usually slay all-comers. Having said all that, I don't think Naim is the best amp to try a TT with as it'll need an outboard phono stage.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

No Dyns.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:

Given everything I have ever read, regarding active speakers (and AVI active speakers in particular), I was quite suprised at the source equipment the OP is thinking of listening to. ('Audiophile' standalone CD players and analogue vinyl are not exactly the usual fare when talking about AVI actives, and I thought Naim amplified passive speakers would be half a world away from any direct comparison with is ADM9s for the purposes of a demo.)

Yes maybe odd but to hear the source I want some speakers that go well with Naim. Why Naim never heard it before reviews are good and its about the best they seem to stock. As for TTs quite a few AVI owners do use them. As cdp I want to compare vinyl with a decent cdp and also see if there is a great diference between higher end players than others Ive heard. Yes probably correct it is different from whay I have now.

BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

No Dyns.

They do, although not every outlet. They could, if asked nicely, get some transferred from another stockholding branch, same as Totems.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
BigH

No one this forum can tell you what goes with what and if you will like it or not - just go and demo loads of stuff.

However I think you are complicating matters by trying to demo too much 'new to you' components.

The amp is the heart of the system, the speakers IMO make a big difference.

So start there with amp/speakers.

What is your current set up?

If you are demoing a whole system with the intention of buying it in one go or bit by bit then please ignore me!

Think you will find a lot of peeps systems on here, myself included have evolved and not intended to turn out the way they have.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
BigH

No one this forum can tell you what goes with what and if you will like it or not - just go and demo loads of stuff.

However I think you are complicating matters by trying to demo too much 'new to you' components.

The amp is the heart of the system, the speakers IMO make a big difference.

So start there with amp/speakers.

What is your current set up?

If you are demoing a whole system with the intention of buying it in one go or bit by bit then please ignore me!

Think you will find a lot of peeps systems on here, myself included have evolved and not intended to turn out the way they have.

Thanks but I think you have misunderstood slightly. Probably my fault for not explaining it better. I thought I would try a turntable, I have a few albums both on vinyl and cd so I could compare them. To buy I may buy a TT but thats it, Im not going to pay £1,000 for a cdp. My current system is Marantz 63SE cdp and AVI 9RSS active speakers which are fine, very happy with them. But much of my listening is streamed from Deezer and Spotify.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I would go for blind buy for a pair of Epos or Neat speakers online. By consumer protection laws you have the right to test them in your home and if prefered you can return them within 30 days with full refund from the seller, no questions asked. A hi-fi showroom where you demoed and bought a pair of speakers can accept returns but not obligatory by law IIRC.

So, go for the speakers that groupthink confirms have sure synergy with Naim and even more to reduce the risk of making the wrong buy, shop online since you are guaranteed a return policy.

Just an idea.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I would go for blind buy for a pair of Epos or Neat speakers online. By consumer protection laws you have the right to test them in your home and if prefered you can return them within 30 days with full refund from the seller, no questions asked. A hi-fi showroom where you demoed and bought a pair of speakers can accept returns but not obligatory by law IIRC.

So, go for the speakers that groupthink confirms have sure synergy with Naim and even more to reduce the risk of making the wrong buy, shop online since you are guaranteed a return policy.

Just an idea.

As BigH has already explained, he doesn't need new speakers or a Naim amp. He owns - and is very happy with - his AVI ADM9RSS active speakers.

He just wants recommendations about which of the available speakers (at his local hi-fi dealers) to best demo a new turntable with, using the dealer's Naim amp.

He doesn't need to buy a CD player either. That is just for the purpose of comparing some of his LPs and CDs at the demo when deciding whether to get the turntable.

I think

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:
Vladimir said:

Just an idea.

As BigH has already explained, he doesn't need new speakers or a Naim amp. He owns - and is very happy with - his AVI ADM9RSS active speakers.

He just wants recommendations about which of the available speakers (at his local hi-fi dealers) to best demo a new turntable with, using the dealer's Naim amp.

He doesn't need to buy a CD player either. That is just for the purpose of comparing some of his LPs and CDs at the demo when deciding whether to get the turntable.

I think

Yes spot on.

Something I wanted to do for a while as you hear many people saying vinyl is better so I thought I would give a try.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:
Vladimir said:

Just an idea.

I think

Yes spot on.

Something I wanted to do for a while as you hear many people saying vinyl is better so I thought I would give a try.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts