speakers for leema pulse anyone?

isophene

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. That expands my list. It's funny, sound-wise I have a pretty broad tolerance, I'm open to experiment. So far I've also noticed neat motives, any experience / opinions of these? Cheers

Sorry, not heard Neats.

There's also, forgot to mention before, Totem Arros that sound rather good with Leema - almost bought a pair before the PMCs.

Leema really is, IMHO, one of the most versatile amp when it comes to speaker matching. It'll boil down, more than anything, to room acoustics and taste.

Best advice is to set some time for dems.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
isophene said:
Thanks. That expands my list. It's funny, sound-wise I have a pretty broad tolerance, I'm open to experiment. So far I've also noticed neat motives, any experience / opinions of these? Cheers
The neat motive sx2 are nice. I tried them with naim kit before choosing Kudos X2 which i can really recommend

MikeToll

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I too have a Pulse which to my ears and in my room sounds great with Spendor. Of course a lot depends on how much money you have available too!

isophene

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Well, I'm building a system from scratch around the pulse. The source I am considering is the Audiolab 8200cd. Or maybe the new Creek evolution 50 which looks like a similar deal, though £300 more.

Speakers, thanks for all your suggestions guys, that's given me a lot to go on. I thought of the Xeros, yes, and would be curious to hear them with the amp. I don't need thundering bass or the ability to move the crockery next door.

Budget ... I've not got loads of money swilling around though I am happy saving up for stuff I want. The Xeros on Fleabay seem to go for about £300 when they appear, and that would be what I would deem generally affordable at the moment. Given a longer wait of course, I could afford more than that.

Part of my difficulty is that we're planning to move house so I've got no idea really what the listening space will be like in 6 months time. Right now the room is roughly 3.5 by 5 metres, wooden floor, window, sofa, bookcase. So the Xeros in my current habitat would fit in just fine. If we end up in a house with a couple of big open plan rooms then I don't know. Any thoughts on their versatility?

Thanks

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
I have owned both ,audiolab 8200cd and Leema xero speakers.I ran both of them with the pulse amp.The xeros are great little speakers and throw a huge soundstage considering their size.But i would be very wary about partnering them with the audiolab .I would look at something a bit smoother sounding as a source .The combo ,audiolab,pulse and xero may sound awesome for half an hour listening sessions,after that you may find they will drive you up the wall as i found this setup way too clinical.

isophene

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
The speaker/source arrangements are very much tbc: I like the idea of a pair of xeroes but if I chose a source in the meantime that needed something a bit different then I'd look at something else. I see you have a Naim cd5i, for example I'd be curious to hear one of those with my Leema. They're quite reasonable used. How does yours sound?

Thanks

T

the record spot

Speakers - I found the Pulse worked well with the older Mission 752. If you can find a pair of mint (and they do come up occasionally) pair of Mission's 751, I think they could be a good option. £330 in their day, but exceptionally good - clarity, good bass, not shrill and very cohesive. You'll snag a mint pair for about £150 max.

If you want more up to date, I'd suggest Tannoy's DC6 which is the big brother of my DC4. I think you'd find these have a more up to date version of the Mission sound and the dual concentric arrangement is an added bonus. Massive soundstage, capable of some truly startling results in both music and movies and I think could work very well with the Leema. £500 or less for the DC6. Fit and finish is excellent, though they are a larger standmount.

isophene said:
I see you have a Naim cd5i, for example I'd be curious to hear one of those with my Leema. They're quite reasonable used. How does yours sound?

Thanks

The CD5i works really well with Leema. The only issue I've had since day one is the aesthetics: IMO Naim and Leema looks minging together.

If i could wind back the clock I would choose a better quality Arcam, Creek or Roksan Caspian M1 - far easier on the eyes.

MikeToll

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
As far as CD player goes I use the Leema Stream which matches the Pulse, if you can find one it works well with the Pulse both sonically and of course aesthetically.

T

the record spot

Audio Emotion has a used one in stock just now. See their preowned listings on their site. Chances it'll be mint.

MikeToll said:
As far as CD player goes I use the Leema Stream which matches the Pulse, if you can find one it works well with the Pulse both sonically and of course aesthetically.

That seems the obvious choice. Have to confess I've not heard the Stream, however, all the reviews I've read with the Pulse/Stream combo has been far from flattering. The only way for it to work well is with very smooth speakers.

MikeToll

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
MikeToll said:

That seems the obvious choice. Have to confess I've not heard the Stream, however, all the reviews I've read with the Pulse/Stream combo has been far from flattering. The only way for it to work well is with very smooth speakers.

Interesting. Out of curiosity I googled Leema Pulse/Stream combo, first page had one review which gave the combo as smooth in it's own right and 4.5 stars out of 5. Just goes to show reviews are just an opinion I suppose and very much dependent on the listener, the speaker used and the acoustics of the room. Anyway I am happy with mine. :)

isophene

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
So, I weighed it all up and have gone for a pair of the PMC DB1 Gold. Which cost £385 three months old. This struck me as a reasonable price.

Now all I need is a source ...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts