speakers for cyrus system ?

alan harknett

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
My system is completly made up of Cyrus, Se8 cd player Vs2 pre amp both fitted with power supplies, this feeds two 8 power amps in mono configuration with Cyrus speaker cable by-amping Kef Reference 1-2s. The sound is o.k. but i think it could be better i'v listerned to monitor silver bx8 and found the sound bright and sometimes overblown in the base on some cd's also listerned to some B&W 634 and they sounded dull and lifeless in comparison.Could anyone suggest speakers that would sound full bodied with plenty of base without sounding overblown or bright for this system so i can check them out.Would anything from Rega be worth a look as i have an old pair of Rega Jura Speakers that sound simular to the monitor silver speakers. Only trouble is finding a store that has them in stock to dem.I would like to hear the new range from Rega up against any that is suggested.

alan harknett

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
to use my system as it is speakers would have to be bi-wireable or bi-ampable and budget around £2,000 max (less if possible)sorry should have made that clear.

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
alan harknett said:
to use my system as it is speakers would have to be bi-wireable or bi-ampable and budget around £2,000 max (less if possible)sorry should have made that clear.

From my experience, check out PMC; something like mine (FB1i) or maybe the new Twenty series.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You've found the RX8's bright and overblown because of what you're used to - the RX8's aren't a match for what you already have, and the same goes for the B&W's. I personally found the 1-2's a little lacklustre (unlike the rest of the range), but this can usually be helped with better amplification. Your other option would be to look at a speaker that doesn't quite need so much juice. I would start by looking at the KEF R500's, which would be the nearest modern equivalent to the 1-2's. The R500's use a much better UniQ unit, with greater accuracy and neutrality. Build quality is just as good, and you'll probably even find that there's less cabinet resonance with the R's as well. These are easier to drive and control than the Reference, so your 8 Power amps won't have a problem.

One other option that's worth trying, is keeping the 1-2's and changing your pre to the DACxp+. This will bring significant improvements, not only as a pre-amp, but also to your CD player, and you may find that this could solve your current problem. It'll be worth getting a loan of one to try at home (this will be the only way to tell if it sorts your issue)

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Audiovectors? But I would say that... (see sig). Accurate, bass like a precision sledgehammer (particularly on the end of MonoXs)!

Popular speakers with Cyrus include (and my opinions...):

Spendor A5 / A6 (good for classical, I found them a bit dull and lacking in bass)

PMC (nice and accurate, good base, definitely considered)

Dynaudio - lots of models, low end sounds completely different to the high end Confidence series. Not sure about Dyns but lots of admirers.

Proact e.g. D18. (Nice, accurate but liked AVs better)

ATCs e.g. ATC40s. Very, very popular with Cyrus. Not very sensitive apparently, needs lots of power.

Incidentally, re the DACXP+.... Is getting long in the tooth. IMHO better DACs for less money (e.g. the Wyred-4-Sound DAC2!). I suspect (purely speculation) Cyrus will be replacing it in the not too distant future (they need to...)

Just my 2 cents

A

Anonymous

The Vienna Acoustics are a fantastic match to Cyrus - have a listen to a pair but be warned - you might fall in love with them...

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
groberton said:
The Vienna Acoustics are a fantastic match to Cyrus - have a listen to a pair but be warned - you might fall in love with them...

Oops, forgot VA speakers - lovely. When auditioning was a toss up between Vienna Acoustic speakers (cant remember what model) and the Audiovectors. Was more a matter of taste.

Definitely add VA speakers to the audition list.

alan harknett

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Yes sorry i did mean RX8 and i would like to keep within budget of a max £2000 but i will be checking out the speakers that have been suggested if i can get to hear them at the local Sevenoak's but they seem to be lacking in stock so i may have to go elsewhere thanks very much for your idear's.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
First of all, forget Spendor. You said you want bass. Spendors are great speakers but lack bass. PMC is probably your best bet based on what you want but I would also consider Dynaudio's contour line.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
From personal experience with similar Cyrus kit to yourself and similar brightness issues, definitely try Spendor.

Also worth trying is a different pre amp – just a suggestion but don’t rule it out.

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I agree with Jaxwired, I spent months when looking for speakers for my Cyrus 8xpd qx, had dozens of demo, tried Spendor, Monitor audio, B&Ws and finally settled for Dynaudio Focus.

I know WHS&V recomends spendor or ATCs with cyrus but in my view Dyn compliments Cyrus perfectly with their big magnets for producing thumping bass yet having solid controls on sweet treble.

I bet Jax is still regretting selling his Contours :)

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Alan, I have owned Spendor A5 in the past, with Audiolab 8200 and later a Naim Supernait. They certainly didn't lack any bass! If anything, they were just too warm and bassy overall.

I have tried so many speakers at this price point! I moved from the Audiolab kit to Naim, but both quite neutral sounding like the Cyrus. I also demo'd many of the speakers with a Cyrus 8xpd.

Neat 3i / 4i - Very good but very bright on some tracks.

PMC - Tried several models, punchy but lacking bass but had good detail overall. Prefered the Spendors.

Roksan Kandy - Ribbon tweeter too sharp but good for a cheaper alternative.

B&W CM8/CM9 - Not a bad sound, well rounded, but didn't like the size of them, and the flashy looks.

B&W PM01 - Nice clarity but not capable of any higher volumes, the small cones were really shaking with the Supernait at volume 3!

Proac D18 and D2 - Really good actually. Amazing detail, warm bass. I found them a little 'scooped out' in the mid range, but that was being picky.

I then discovered Harbeth and have tried most models PS3ER/COMPACT 7/ HL5 ETC. I decided to go for the Monitor 30, a little bit extra in price but are really good all rounders, a modest cabinet size and a sound that you will really love, especially after a home demo. Great for a wide range of amps and easy to match with various bits of kit.

Saying that, you might be after something really modern looking, but I really like the retro looks of the Harbeths!

Enjoy the demos!

A

Anonymous

I own B&W CM9s with my cyrus system, all cabled with Cardas Clear Light. Personally I am very happy with this, excellent separation in particular with Cyrus monos.

If people think that these speakers are a bad match with Cyrus, I would be curious to know why?

If I move up, might be thinking about the 804Di or 803Di also from B&W, or something from Sonus Faber.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
B&W CM8s are pretty good too, but the CM9s will give more bass, if room is big enough.

Not flashy if you keep the grilles on. Very smart if you take them off :)

alan harknett

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
thanks to everyone for taking the time to help me out i think my job is to get some domo's done - hifi shops always seen very limited in choice and i find it hard if i have to demo in different shops with different bits of kit,home demo is not always possible.

alan harknett

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Well just tried the vienna beethovan concert grand (£4500) at home and found that although some cd's sounded very nice in treble and upper base the lower base to middle base seems to have a hole in the middle, some cd's had no base at all while other cd's were just right but left the rest with too much. It seems older cd's - Led zepp and jethro tull, black sabbath and deep purple have less base while new recordings have too much, Jazz and smooth sounding cd's sounded great but rock and heavier music was laking in middle base. while my older kef reference speakers seem to handle the differences better i am at a loss as where to go now-severnoaks are very limited in what they stock i think i need to go somewhere with a bigger range of choice. Dose Anyone know or recomend of a good retailer in the London area that lends out speakers for home demo ? Has anyone had the same problem with older cd's sounding poor in this way the same as i have and how have you over come it ?

Hi alan harknett

By all means have a look at a new pair of speakers however i feel the component which is ultimately holding the performance of your exiting system back is the Pre vs2 pre amplifier. Your KEF Reference Model 1.2's are still good speakers and ones which still have more performance potential left in them. Therefore (as has also already been suggested) i'll recommend that you also consider the changing the Pre vs2 and look at alternative makes of pre amplification so as to help further unlock or as near as completely unlock the potential of your CD8 SE and 8 power amps.

Fwiw, i discovered that Cyrus pre amplifiers were not on par with the standard of their source components and power amps was when i owned the excellent Reference Model 3.2's.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

alan harknett

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
:cheer: I'm happy to report i have the answer to my problem, i was allowed to keep the Vienna's for another couple of day's and tried different audio cables between the cd player and pre-amp in the name of Chord cables. I tried a couple, Anthem 2 and Cadenza in place of my Chord Chameleon and the difference was amazing, I settled on the Anthen 2 cable which produced deep base and opened up the top end with no harshness or brightness but a sweet treble that i was looking for. Still have a problem with poor produced cd's but i'm thinking that is something i'll have to live with, but well produced cd's sound amazing got me going all through my cd collection which totals thousands hearing them really for the first time it seems. Will order speakers and wires and look forward to getting them early next year, hopefully before the 27th which is my birthday!

:cheers: Thanks to everyone that suggested a fix and will look at pre-amp when funds return to the norm after paying the bill for this little lot,have a merry Christmas everyone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts